Seven Dead In East Pattaya Minivan Crash

Rimmer

i have never read such rubbish, do you control the keyboard of does it control you??????????????

The minibus amongst other vehicle need to be governed down to a safe speed, the population of Thailand is the same as the uk, but the death rate is way way above, the drivers of minibus as used on regular numbered routes leave me speechless at some of the stunts they pull whilst driving fare paying passengers from A to B, and as an ex UK road traffic police officer i have seen some bad stunts pulled.

RIP all on board and my thoughts are with the families

True. But it's a developing country. UK also had horrendous traffic death rates when it was less developed. It's only since around 1990 that the numbers have really come down.

Also, UK is very safe these days, so 10 times worse than very safe isn't too bad. Especially for a developing country. If you live in a developing country, then you have to accept that things aren't going to be like back home. They need to change, but that will take a long time. So you'd better get used to it

Not being disrespectful here, but why do you choose to live in such a dangerous country? I'm amazed at the general comments on this forum about all things Thai, including how dangerous driving is. But the complainers still live here. If you'd be safer in the UK, then why not live there. This is a genuine question, because I would never live in a country where I fel as unsafe as some on here seem to feel. Surely people should want a better life than feeling so unsafe.

i can say live in thailand just a 7 years maiplen rai got a car and motorbike and the licence to drive it (now looking at the exams for a truck licence) its alot of joy on the road as well when you give someone to make the turn even if im goin strait just because their heavy load look at them smile at you nothing with lose face holding a bus in the back just because a pedestrian want to cross makes my day

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No more mini vans for me either.

A trip from Jomtien to Hua Him was enough to convince me of the insanity that permeates the drivers of these vans.

His goal seemed to be to allow no one overtake us on the entire trip.

But besides the fact that his speed was idiotic, at least he also swerved whenever possible from lane to lane in the top heavy van.

Passing a four vehicle fatal collision didn't impact this driver one bit. He regained his speed as soon as he could.

He did no harm as it turned out other than risk the lives of his 13 passengers and a navigator

I read someplace: Automotive skills were among the first casualties of a third world economy.. Thailand is proof positive of this statement..

Have you EVER driven here ? Perhaps folk in minivans ''survive'' cos US who do drive here and see one of these rides in the mirror IMMEDIATELY get ready for the shit. I have been forced off the road by these so called ''professionals''.

Just to make it clear, I agree that there are some very bad drivers here, of both cars and vans. In fact, many, many more than in the UK. But, they are still in the minority. Yes, I see crazy van drivers. But for each crazy one I see, I see countless others driving safely. If they were ALL as crazy as you make out, then there would be a lot more accidents. With all these crazy drivers you claim are here, how come the death rate is still below the world average? So less deaths here, so driving can't be as bad as you make out.

ํYou obviously do not drive here.

Does anyone else want to back this bloke up that the driving in LOS is OK. ?

He has no idea what he is talking about. I'm guessing he doesn't live here or have family here or he wouldn't be singing about only having a 2300 to 1 chance of them dying a horrific death by some other idiot's carelessness here.

On a daily basis I have to avoid hitting and likely killing people here many times due to their own stupidity or arrogance on the roads. Its only because I anticipate their stupidity and arrogance that I expect them to gamble with their life and my family's lives for the sake of waiting 3 more seconds at a junction, or trying to overtake me on the right side as I am indicating right and just starting to pull off, or they turn without indicating, or indicate without turning, or throw a U turn from the inside lane while I am about to overtake on the outside lane, or a hundred other dumb driving practices I experience here every single day pretty much every minute of driving.

It's no surprise that tourists who come from countries who follow the rules of the road get in so much trouble here.

A majority of locals here drive like maniacs with no regard for other people's safety or lives. For this guy to say otherwise just proves how naiive he is of the way things really are here.

eyes open mind clear heavy metal or hiphop on the stereo ,,,,,,you will survive

i prefer iron maiden and metallica ,,,or black eyed peas and emminem

any ragga dancehall psytrance dubstep or grime will do also but i like to stick with originals

No more mini vans for me either.

A trip from Jomtien to Hua Him was enough to convince me of the insanity that permeates the drivers of these vans.

His goal seemed to be to allow no one overtake us on the entire trip.

But besides the fact that his speed was idiotic, at least he also swerved whenever possible from lane to lane in the top heavy van.

Passing a four vehicle fatal collision didn't impact this driver one bit. He regained his speed as soon as he could.

He did no harm as it turned out other than risk the lives of his 13 passengers and a navigator

I read someplace: Automotive skills were among the first casualties of a third world economy.. Thailand is proof positive of this statement..

eh where you read that ?

Have you EVER driven here ? Perhaps folk in minivans ''survive'' cos US who do drive here and see one of these rides in the mirror IMMEDIATELY get ready for the shit. I have been forced off the road by these so called ''professionals''.

Just to make it clear, I agree that there are some very bad drivers here, of both cars and vans. In fact, many, many more than in the UK. But, they are still in the minority. Yes, I see crazy van drivers. But for each crazy one I see, I see countless others driving safely. If they were ALL as crazy as you make out, then there would be a lot more accidents. With all these crazy drivers you claim are here, how come the death rate is still below the world average? So less deaths here, so driving can't be as bad as you make out.

à¹You obviously do not drive here.

Does anyone else want to back this bloke up that the driving in LOS is OK. ?

He has no idea what he is talking about. I'm guessing he doesn't live here or have family here or he wouldn't be singing about only having a 2300 to 1 chance of them dying a horrific death by some other idiot's carelessness here.

On a daily basis I have to avoid hitting and likely killing people here many times due to their own stupidity or arrogance on the roads. Its only because I anticipate their stupidity and arrogance that I expect them to gamble with their life and my family's lives for the sake of waiting 3 more seconds at a junction, or trying to overtake me on the right side as I am indicating right and just starting to pull off, or they turn without indicating, or indicate without turning, or throw a U turn from the inside lane while I am about to overtake on the outside lane, or a hundred other dumb driving practices I experience here every single day pretty much every minute of driving.

It's no surprise that tourists who come from countries who follow the rules of the road get in so much trouble here.

A majority of locals here drive like maniacs with no regard for other people's safety or lives. For this guy to say otherwise just proves how naiive he is of the way things really are here.

eyes open mind clear heavy metal or hiphop on the stereo ,,,,,,you will survive

i prefer iron maiden and metallica ,,,or black eyed peas and emminem

any ragga dancehall psytrance dubstep or grime will do also but i like to stick with originals

Bodyslam. All day.

Edited by KunMatt

The only good thing about MiniVan shuttles is that they are cheap.

I took one from Hua Hin to Victory Monument onetime. I think they packed about 12 people in a van designed to hold 8.

What's worse, the driver was a speed devil. They stopped along the way to pick up passengers and I think the driver was trying to stay on schedule so he travelled awfully fast and took a lot of chances passing into oncoming traffic.

That was my last trip on a shuttle.

After that I began paying for direct service from Hua Hin to the airport in a special taxi. It's 2000 baht but the trip is

1. comfortable,

2. I can pack all my bags (don't bring baggage on a minivan),

3. the driver picks me up and drops me off exactly where I want to go...no transfers, and

4. I get to the airport faster because we aren't waiting to pick up passengers

5. Above all, the driver is safe so I can relax, take a nap and know that my life isn't being endangered by a crazy driver.

My life is worth 2000 baht to me.

Too much to speculate on. It doesn't say if the driver ran off only that they guess he might have fallen asleep, maybe he died, maybe he is one of the survivors. After rolling over at high speed many of the victims may have been unconscious and or disoriented so unable to exit the vehicle, otherwise I would think they would kick out the windows instead of trying to get out a jammed door. By gas tanks I presume they mean propane (LPG) tanks. Seems they could
find a way to install these outside the vehicle.

Sad to know there were some kids killed.

On a side note, I tend to speak up and say something, whether it is because of someone throwing trash, stopping at the top of an escalator, etc. So if it was me in the van, especially if I had my kids with me, I would have asked the guy to slow down, failing to heed my request I would have smacked him a few times. Go ahead and call the BiB I have 10 witnesses who will verify my claim you were endangering our lives.

My family and me were transported in one of these deathtraps from Kaosan Road/ Victory Monument to Jomtien yesterday. The driver was so reckless

I was so scared trapped in the back seat in a crammed can with no safety strap and was so relieved when he finally reached the Sukhumit Pattaya congestion. I kept my fears to myself so as not to scare my family but feared the worst. He was weaving in and out without sufficient power narrowly missing oncoming vehicles expecting them to take evasive action but what if they had not done so ? Never again. I thanked my lucky stars this time.

• Like 1

Don't blame mini van drivers, so many people seem so quick to jump on the band wagon (excuse the pun) Thailands roads are a dangerous place. The van drivers are just out there fighting with the traffic as they do have to every day. when you live inThailand as an expat or holiday maker, you take you life in your own hands, you could get killed in a van, pick-up truck, bus, or riding a bike. Sure! we can all hope the standard will rise on the roads with driving ability. expats or holiday makers should be aware of that! I do hear some sound advice from a felow poster, whatever mode of transport you take in the land of smiles, have a look at the condition of the mode of transport, have a good look into the eyes of the driver, and if he takes off like a bat out of hell, Xxxx the 80 baht, get them to stop and get out!

Edited by metisdead

RIP to the deceased..

I was evicted from a minibus heading to Pattaya. The driver was endangering my life with his reckless driving. I ask him several times to slow down and he stopped the minivan and I got out.

These drivers are such idiots and when will the authorities ever do something about these minivans.

I have been in several of these and you must have a careful and good driver. We normally have our family arrive from Barriram to Pattaya for a week vacation when we arrive fromthe states. The drivers from my wives area all have seemed responsible. I also do a visual check on the tires and condition of the mini van. Now seeing this story, I will only use the newer mini van types and hope for the best...

That's good thinking!

So far, I have made three trips up to Cambodia in what appears to be the same type of van.

When we stopped for the free lunch on the way back from Cambodia I noticed the other vans and started looking at them carefully because the first time I had gone, I came to the conclusion that the driver was erratic and dangerous.

I noticed the tires on the van were very much bald, and I realized at that point it would probably be best to take a giant bus to Cambodia for my visa runs.

May all the victims rest in peace and God bless them.

Too much to speculate on. It doesn't say if the driver ran off only that they guess he might have fallen asleep, maybe he died, maybe he is one of the survivors. After rolling over at high speed many of the victims may have been unconscious and or disoriented so unable to exit the vehicle, otherwise I would think they would kick out the windows instead of trying to get out a jammed door. By gas tanks I presume they mean propane (LPG) tanks. Seems they could

On a side note, I tend to speak up and say something, whether it is because of someone throwing trash, stopping at the top of an escalator, etc. So if it was me in the van, especially if I had my kids with me, I would have asked the guy to slow down, failing to heed my request I would have smacked him a few times. Go ahead and call the BiB I have 10 witnesses who will verify my claim you were endangering our lives.

Except your 10 witnesses would say nothing.

On a few trips to Swampy when a 'normal bus' has not been available and I HAD to take a mini bus, I have slapped and shouted at drivers when they were falling asleep; and the Thai in the front seats didn't answer when I said 'wake him up' they just clambered over the seat to get in the back, shit scared but wouldn't lose face by telling him he was at fault!!! I moved into the front and made sure he stayed awake!

The only time I took a minibus for a visa run we nearly careered over a cliff in Mae Sot with a sleeping/drunk driver at the wheel. I vowed I'd never take another mini bus.

For the past 11 years I have trusted in my own driving!

Just take some spare red bull with you next time. Or pay for a decent driver to drive you there.

Not sure what level of service people expect when using a cheap van. Pay cheap, get cheap. If you want to be safe, then pay what you need to. Plenty of decent drivers around. But many won't pay. They prefer to be cheap and then complain.

Mini bus drivers use Red Bull and Lao Khao to keep awake, I use neither for safety.

As people have stated before I doubt whether you have either driven here or in fact anywhere.

Mini vans are normally the cheapest option, VIP busses are the best and if I have to travel any distance I would take them or usually prefer the safer option and drive myself.

Maybe you are just a Troll.

I disagree the vip buses are any safer, I have seen them force other road users off the road when overtaking and they tailgate/speed also or just sit in the outside lane when there is nothing in the inner lane for kilometer after kilometer.

Except your 10 witnesses would say nothing.

Maybe just put the driver in a chokehold and slowly put him to sleep till van comes to a nice slow stop and then simply get out of the van and start walking.

Don't blame mini van drivers, so many people seem so quick to jump on the band wagon (excuse the pun) Thailands roads are a dangerous place. The van drivers are just out there fighting with the traffic as they do have to every day. when you live inThailand as an expat or holiday maker, you take you life in your own hands, you could get killed in a van, pick-up truck, bus, or riding a bike. Sure! we can all hope the standard will rise on the roads with driving ability. expats or holiday makers should be aware of that! I do hear some sound advice from a felow poster, whatever mode of transport you take in the land of smiles, have a look at the condition of the mode of transport, have a good look into the eyes of the driver, and if he takes off like a bat out of hell, Xxxx the 80 baht, get them to stop and get out!

Don't blame the van drivers? they are paid to take passengers, not driving their own private vehicle.

The van drivers choose to risk take, drive dangerously....... they are forced to because of the traffic? what the? The roads are a dangerous place... just accept it... ??? ok .. but the whole point is that the vast majority of minibus drivers contribute greatly to the crap driving standards. These are people that are paid for a living to drive. No problem there??? When they crash the don't usually kill themselves, also the average Thai passengers that are trusting the driver to take them to their destination.

Don't just think of the farangs using them, spare a thought for the average Thai citizens that have to risk their life everyday because they have no other travel options.

Yes I blame the mini bus drivers. Point Blank.

Don't blame mini van drivers, so many people seem so quick to jump on the band wagon.

This is an irresponsible remark, who should we blame, the passengers, the roads, the job, the deadlines,the traffic ? Sorry, if the roads are bad,you slow down, if the deadline is to be met,get up earlier, if the traffic is bad,sit in it, coffee1.gif

• Like 1

How sad for the families of these victims and the surving passengers!

The occurrence of reckless driving is nothing new to those who have lived here for a period of time. Seven pages of comments in less than 24 hrs. speaks to the level of concern and outrage felt by many who frequent TV. The concensus appears to indicate nothing will be done to curb these atrocities; accept the reality or succumb to the delusion that it's not as bad as it seems.

So, as a rational thinking human being, what to do?

Avoid this mode of transport when and wherever possible (including giving way while in your personal vehicle). If you must join a group of passengers in a van with a reckless driver, never be so submissive to ignore the fact that your life is in danger. Speak up people, take charge of your safety! Try a quiet or polite approach to the driver to indicate you are afraid for your life and it seems other passengers are anxious as well so would he please slow to a safe speed. (From personal experience, this has worked in the past.) If this tactic fails, speak with the other passengers and organize a vociferous collective appeal to the driver. As a last resort, demand he stop the van at the next convinient opportunity and exit. It's your life and it's up to you to save yourself.

Edited by gazz

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif . Gawd 'elp us. sick.gif

• Like 2

This morning 5 a.m in Kalasin driving my cycle to 7/11 for a coffee, driving slow in the left (motorcycle lane), 2 drunk Thais walking facing me, one kicks my bike over, I pick it up, afraid to follow them in case armed, go to Kalasin Police it takes them 20 minutes to understand and take me back to the scene 7 cops end up arriving, cannot see or find the 2 guys, Police take me to the hospital and then to the station they were nice, no broken bones some bad injuries, they paid the hospital while I was out having a smoke and I repaid them, Took me to the station and filed a report. I just passed the scene and saw the guys slipper on the road but passed it before I realized it was probably his.

Drove a Yamaha Virago 1000 cc, the slimmer one a classic for 10 years. Took a professional drivers course to reduce insiurance costs. As I said in last post, am buying a car next week and not stopping when I run them over. Going back later to see if the guys shoe/slipper is still on the road. Cops were nice but too slow to get to the scene.

I am not putting up with any more of this, just pray I am not killed before I get the car.

We went with the familly in one instead of taking two cars ,but my sister in law (who at 5ft 1inch and is a force to behold) told the driver in no uncertain terms how she expected him to drive and if he did not want to ,to pass us over to another driver ,i must say i really did feel safe on that journey,rip to the passengers in that van ,pity they did not have someone like my sister in law to speak for them.

I think that we, that is the people who post on ThaiVisa who care about this stupid situation should do something positive about it. Enough is enough, as a collective group I think our voices would be heard, it is us Ferangs who contribute to the economy considerably, and also get killed by these drugged up maniacs..

So we as a group through Thai Visa we should send a letter to the Government every week, and keep sending until something happens, like governors, law enforcement etc.

OK Thai Visa how about it!

Back to You.

Of course the Nieves who think there is nothing wrong can continue burying heads in sand, and in shame!

• Like 2

I think that we, that is the people who post on ThaiVisa who care about this stupid situation should do something positive about it. Enough is enough, as a collective group I think our voices would be heard, it is us Ferangs who contribute to the economy considerably, and also get killed by these drugged up maniacs..

So we as a group through Thai Visa we should send a letter to the Government every week, and keep sending until something happens, like governors, law enforcement etc.

Back to You.

Of course the Nieves who think there is nothing wrong can continue burying heads in sand, and in shame!

A nice idea but you can write as many letters as you like and nothing will happen. The onus lays with the BiB on the ground, think anyone will understand, that but they don't work, nobody controls them. Imagine the lives that could be saved if the BiB actually worked. LOS has a huge police force but where are they ? sad.png

• Like 1

Back to You.

It is not that people think there is nothing wrong. It is just that no farang will ever make one jot of difference to anything that happens in Thailand. Thousands have tried and almost every one has failed. Successes? Well you tell me? How about the air pollution problem in Chaing Mai!!!! Now that is a cracker. Farangs tried big time on that one. They put in a lot of effort. All they had to do was fine one offender. It is against the law after all. To my knowledge though not one person has ever been charged with burning and even the housing projects do it. Who could be easier to catch and fine than them?

The only people who think they can change anything on Thailand are the new arrivals. After they're here for a whilst, they stop trying as they realise that they might as well try training a monkey to talk. Looks possible but it just ain't gonna happen.

Edited by SPIKECM

Sad news! Mini vans are bad mmmmmmmmmkay. or how about any 4 wheel and metal traveling at speeds that would cause injury or death.

This was a accident nothing more! TV poster's need more juice in their boring lives and have to comment on how bad mini vans are, how bad Thai women are, how bad Thai people are, the list goes on. You all need to get some love back for Thailand and the Thai people.

Believe me, this phase you are going through will pass. I left the UK for Thailand because of over regulation there, but I am going back because I can't stand the no regulation or no enforcement of regulations. I've stayed in this wonderful and crazy country for over 13 years. During that time they have developed roads which they not fit as a nation to use. You can't mix an easy going rice farmer's lifestyle with 3 lane dual carriageways. Stray dogs running amok on three lane highways doesn't work either. They are building three lane highways up in issan with little kids walking along them to school. Allowing LPG inside mini vans is just another example of mixing a third world mentality with a road system which is getting close to European standards. You just can't do that without death and terrible tragedies like this.

I agree. LOS is trying to move on but there is no thought, for instance, introduction of a driving license which is totally useless, just lots of paperwork but know one is taught the basics of driving to earn a license. The list can go on but to me the culture is one of ''don't care'' as long as it looks first world. sad.png

Back to You.

Dream on.