Dual Pricing Is Just Fine!

Curt1591

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in an area where there was a major tourist attraction, as a local I got free entry, and often if accompanied by a pretty (non local) female they would be allowed in free, as I always knew the gate man. Never once thought there was anything wrong or peculiar about this arrangement. I guess the Thai think the same way, why wouldn't you?

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

Dual pricing is a fact of life. I personally dont like it, especially when I am on the sticky end of it. However it is up the venue itself to set the prices.

For example their is a "waterworld" complex in Hau Hin in the hills which charges a price to foreigners and a cheaper price to locals. If they didnt do this then either the complex wouldnt make enough money to survive or it would become a tourist only resort which no one really wants.

Dual pricing is fair if it propotional and clearly displayed so the consumer can make a informed choice.

• Like 2

I lived in an area where there was a major tourist attraction, as a local I got free entry, and often if accompanied by a pretty (non local) female they would be allowed in free, as I always knew the gate man. Never once thought there was anything wrong or peculiar about this arrangement. I guess the Thai think the same way, why wouldn't you?

Of course you didn't see anything wrong in it.... you were not being charged any price, let alone a double price...... Doh!

True and I didn't care what the charge was for others......apologies if that was not obvious enough for you to take on board.........people receiving the benefits of being a 'local' don't give the situation any thought, they accept this is the way it is, and why not? It's those who don't have these 'rights' that whinge........but then they were happy enough to give them up and move to Thailand.......and then start to moan

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 2

Of course you didn't see anything wrong in it.... you were not being charged any price, let alone a double price...... Doh!

True and I didn't care what the charge was for others......apologies if that was not obvious enough for you to take on board.........people receiving the benefits of being a 'local' don't give the situation any thought, they accept this is the way it is, and why not? It's those who don't have these 'rights' that whinge........but then they were happy enough to give them up and move to Thailand.......and then start to moan

Says the guy who can't live here full time.

An observation which effects my comment in what way exactly? Because I make choices to suit me, I don't expect people or governments to effect change to accomodate my beliefs and lifestyle.......but hey that's just me I guess

In my "local" city in Europe, my thai wife pays "local" prices for tourist attractions.

Same for me as I posted earlier.....in Thailand I pay local too smile.png where people recognise me........I reckon paying full farang price pisses off the long term stayers in Thailand!! to be treated as a common tourist......how thoughtless and unjust!!

I think it's perfectly acceptable if the "tourist attraction" is a national park which is actually funded by the local populations tax contributions. As a non local, the visitor has in no way contributed to the parks running costs and a usage fee would be reasonable.

As for privately run enterprises charging higher rates for non locals...............

What struck me about this self-righteous article is that it's written by someone who pays for nothing. This clowns travels on the company dime!

Dual pricing is fair if it propotional and clearly displayed so the consumer can make a informed choice.

"Dual pricing is fair if it propotional ..."

Lets see. The last time I checked, Bangkok's Grand Palace cost 400THB for "foreigners". Thai price is 0 THB. That's some serious proportions. Whether Thai, Brit, American or whatever, the Grand Palace is a tourist attraction.

Dual pricing is fair if it [is] clearly displayed so the consumer can make a informed choice.

That's one of the big beefs with the Thai style. They print the foreigner price in English, Chinese, or whatever, while the Thai price is only in Thai, including Thai numerals.

One funny aside to the dual pricing BS:

Towards the end of 2011, there were banners placed around Wat Pho notifying the 2012 admission price increase to 100THB - once again, Thais enter free. However, the signs were written in Thai only. I guess this was a notice for tour guides, so that they could adjusted their scalper pricing accordingly.

Personally, I weight the value to cost. If I think the price is too much, I give it a pass.

Edited by Curt1591

473geo, sorry I wasn't aware you are a 'part timer'.

I guess we can all put up with stuff when we know its only while we are on holiday.

No problem Guesthouse, I probably cannot understand the level of aggravation that you guys inflict upon yourselves for whatever reason you chose Thailand to live, I guess double pricing is just so unfair....especially when fuelled by all those tourists accepting dual pricing, giving out huge tips, good grief what do they think they are doing? Pushing up Thai expectations for the expats living in Thailand!!!.......The same expats who enjoyed the pricing when the ROE was 70 baht to the GBP!!........now quibbling over a few paltry baht

I don't mind duel prices for parks and zoo's, as they are still cheap and you are contributing to a good cause. What I do mind is when greedy business owners try to take advantage of you. I had this a lot in Bangkok, where it was considered normal to double prices if a farang was paying.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with double pricing, I make 10x what a Thai with a similar education makes, and close to 30x what the average Thai makes. So a few extra baht here or there doesn't matter to me.

Besides the same is true just about everywhere else I've lived in the US, tourists pay more then locals. When I was a local in Tahoe I skied for a lot less. When I was a local in Florida I went to Disney World for a lot less. Etc...

I guess we can all put up with stuff when we know its only while we are on holiday.

No problem Guesthouse, I probably cannot understand the level of aggravation that you guys inflict upon yourselves for whatever reason you chose Thailand to live, I guess double pricing is just so unfair....especially when fuelled by all those tourists accepting dual pricing, giving out huge tips, good grief what do they think they are doing? Pushing up Thai expectations for the expats living in Thailand!!!.......The same expats who enjoyed the pricing when the ROE was 70 baht to the GBP!!........now quibbling over a few paltry baht

Oh dear looks like i hit a nerve.

Fact is the ones living here for real see themselves as part of it all then if you have to pay those prices its unfair. Its not the price because i can afford it its the principle. Like JUDAS i understand it for government places, but not for privately run ones.

Anyway its just a fact that part timers in general have a bit more income (at least they should) and on the other hand they are not part of it all here and then don't feel the same connections.

Fact is the ones living here for real see themselves as part of it all then if you have to pay those prices its unfair. Its not the price because i can afford it its the principle. Like JUDAS i understand it for government places, but not for privately run ones.

Anyway its just a fact that part timers in general have a bit more income (at least they should) and on the other hand they are not part of it all here and then don't feel the same connections.

Hit a nerve?....you've just verified the content of my post ^ 11.......I guess I understand better than you know

Edited by 473geo

QUOTE:

I think it's perfectly acceptable if the "tourist attraction" is a national park which is actually funded by the local populations tax contributions. As a non local, the visitor has in no way contributed to the parks running costs and a usage fee would be reasonable.

Oh my god.

Please can somebody explain again about VAT?

I will give a hint..... the T is for TAX.

And another hint: what % of locals pay income tax?

Hit a nerve?....you've just verified the content of my post ^ 11.......I guess I understand better than you know

Yes a nerve was what I hit, its obvious now.

As for me stating the income thing i said in general, personally I have nothing to complain about and nothing to get jealous about either. But it is a fact that part timers in general have a higher income.. or at least they should nothing wrong with mentioning that as for some it is indeed a nerve but not on my side.

QUOTE:

Oh my god.

Please can somebody explain again about VAT?

I will give a hint..... the T is for TAX.

And another hint: what % of locals pay income tax?

You are right, but i still feel its more appropriate plus its ok for a GOVERNMENT to give more rights to its own.. But that is just my opinion and like you I don't like the dual pricing thing.

Oh for the Love of God not this again....please....no...please.....please....please...

Agree. But I gotta say....excellent article. I'm in 100% agreement with James Durston and his sentiments.

Durston and you are unfortunately not the only ones that do not understand the T in VAT.

Also, This CNN writer calls dual pricing the "white tax", and surely he is not being sarcastic. How about levying a N..... tax? Would that be acceptable?

• Like 1