Dual Pricing Is Just Fine!

Curt1591

I once got charged 18 quid to stand in the festeringly vile, moss riddled away end at Leyton Orient when it was a tenner for home fans to sit in relative comfort.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Therefore i deduce that Leyton Orient is a bar in Pataya, or has something to do with football.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once got charged 18 quid to stand in the festeringly vile, moss riddled away end at Leyton Orient when it was a tenner for home fans to sit in relative comfort.

Therefore i deduce that Leyton Orient is a bar in Pataya, or has something to do with football.

If you ever saw Leyton Orient play you would realise they have very little to do with football ;)

• Like 1

Dual pricing exists in most areas

example1,

residents in san diego use to pay $30 for a round of golf at Torrey Pines. Non residents paid $80. the main difference between TL and Torrey Pines that i can see, is that the prices were clearly marked at Torrey Pines.

example2

In hawaii, if i go out with my friends (hawaii locals), I pay Kama'aina rates (resident rates) because i look local smile.png but when i go out with my friends from the mainland, i pay tourist rates sad.png

example3

People know me at bars and restaurants that i go to. The servers and bartenders know i give great tips if I'm in a good mood. So when i get my bill, there are drinks, and food items missing from my tab! How did that happen? So I'm inclined to leave a great tip. The establishment owners are ok with it because i go there more often, and bring in a bunch of my friends.

dual pricing exists. deal with it

better yet, find a way to use it to your advantage. biggrin.png

Edited by jamhar
  • Like 2

If you ever saw Leyton Orient play you would realise they have very little to do with football wink.png

They beat us 3-0 and Barry Hearn had the gall to come over at half time to 'meet and greet' us Dale fans. Needless to say he got a few verbals, the best of which was 'Do you take Steve Davis up the Arse...nal..."

• Like 1

example1,

residents in san diego use to pay $30 for a round of golf at Torrey Pines. Non residents paid $80. the main difference between TL and Torrey Pines that i can see, is that the prices were clearly marked at Torrey Pines.

example2

In hawaii, if i go out with my friends (hawaii locals), I pay Kama'aina rates (resident rates) because i look local smile.png but when i go out with my friends from the mainland, i pay tourist rates sad.png

example3

People know me at bars and restaurants that i go to. The servers and bartenders know i give great tips if I'm in a good mood. So when i get my bill, there are drinks, and food items missing from my tab! How did that happen? So I'm inclined to leave a great tip. The establishment owners are ok with it because i go there more often, and bring in a bunch of my friends.

QUOTE:

With your mainland mates, perhaps you wear Hawaian shirts? Instant karma!

If you ever saw Leyton Orient play you would realise they have very little to do with football wink.png

They beat us 3-0 and Barry Hearn had the gall to come over at half time to 'meet and greet' us Dale fans. Needless to say he got a few verbals, the best of which was 'Do you take Steve Davis up the Arse...nal..."

18 squid is a lot of fish

Oh for the Love of God not this again....please....no...please.....please....please...

Agree. But I gotta say....excellent article. I'm in 100% agreement with James Durston and his sentiments.

Durston and you are unfortunately not the only ones that do not understand the T in VAT.

Also, This CNN writer calls dual pricing the "white tax", and surely he is not being sarcastic. How about levying a N..... tax? Would that be acceptable?

What do you mean "a N..... tax"?

If you don't agree with dual pricing, you have a choice - don't go to places or engage in activities where it's practiced, <deleted>.

I will never understand why this infernal topic keeps coming up like a U-bend floater when the remedy to the issue is so fuggin' obvious.

Oh for the Love of God not this again....please....no...please.....please....please...

Agree. But I gotta say....excellent article. I'm in 100% agreement with James Durston and his sentiments.

Durston and you are unfortunately not the only ones that do not understand the T in VAT.

Also, This CNN writer calls dual pricing the "white tax", and surely he is not being sarcastic. How about levying a N..... tax? Would that be acceptable?

If you don't agree with dual pricing, you have a choice - don't go to places or engage in activities where it's practiced, <deleted>.

I will never understand why this infernal topic keeps coming up like a U-bend floater when the remedy to the issue is so fuggin' obvious.

If you kept up with the news from outside Thailand, or if you were a movie fan, you would understand the N... word.

White tax...... /////N...... tax? Get it now? If not, here is a hint: chocolate man, as they say in Thailand.

And to avoid missunderstandings: In my opinion, CNN using the expression 'white tax' is just as unacceptable as using the N word - only difference, I say N..., while CNN, as quoted by the OP, uses the full 'White' word.

Oh for the Love of God not this again....please....no...please.....please....please... Agree. But I gotta say....excellent article. I'm in 100% agreement with James Durston and his sentiments.Durston and you are unfortunately not the only ones that do not understand the T in VAT.Also, This CNN writer calls dual pricing the "white tax", and surely he is not being sarcastic. How about levying a N..... tax? Would that be acceptable? What do you mean "a N..... tax"? If you don't agree with dual pricing, you have a choice - don't go to places or engage in activities where it's practiced, <deleted>. I will never understand why this infernal topic keeps coming up like a U-bend floater when the remedy to the issue is so fuggin' obvious. If you kept up with the news from outside Thailand, or if you were a movie fan, you would understand the N... word.White tax...... /////N...... tax? Get it now? If not, here is a hint: chocolate man, as they say in Thailand.And to avoid missunderstandings: In my opinion, CNN using the expression 'white tax' is just as unacceptable as using the N word - only difference, I say N..., while CNN, as quoted by the OP, uses the full 'White' word.

I am sure he understands a lot better as you think.
  • Like 2

If you kept up with the news from outside Thailand, or if you were a movie fan, you would understand the N... word.

White tax...... /////N...... tax? Get it now? If not, here is a hint: chocolate man, as they say in Thailand.

And to avoid missunderstandings: In my opinion, CNN using the expression 'white tax' is just as unacceptable as using the N word - only difference, I say N..., while CNN, as quoted by the OP, uses the full 'White' word.

Ok, Yet another bigot rocks up on TV.

Ok lemme explain so that even someone with a case of moronitis as severe as yours can understand.

Surely the word you should be looking for in comparison to "white tax" is "BLACK tax" not "N .... Tax".

First we had a "the-word-farang-is-racist" brigade and now, finally, an even more idiotic "the-word-white-is-racist" faction.

How can you seriously suggest that the word "White" is as offensive to a Caucasian as the N-word is to a Negro?

• Like 1

Ok, Yet another bigot rocks up on TV.

Ok lemme explain so that even someone with a case of moronitis as severe as yours can understand.

Surely the word you should be looking for in comparison to "white tax" is "BLACK tax" not "N .... Tax

First we had a "the-word-farang-is-racist" brigade and now, finally, an even more idiotic "the-word-white-is-racist" faction.

How can you seriously suggest that the word "White" is as offensive to a Caucasian as the N-word is to a Negro?

Oh my god. Or actually, oh your god.

Some people really do not understand "sarcasm", but of course that is not my problem.

But calling me "serious" --- now that offends me.

It is kind of annoying to read/hear of some foreigners' approving of/justifying this racist policy, especially in cases where the difference in the rate between Thais and foreigners is huge.

Edited by JemJem

Every place that uses dual pricing should by law be forced to display that very clearly at entrance,

or pay a hefty penalty to whomever suffer the dual prices.

After that, they can charge whatever they want

• Like 1

Every place that uses dual pricing should by law be forced to display that very clearly at entrance,

It IS always displayed. Maybe you can't read it because it's in Thai. Time to hit the books, eh?

Why are you bringing the VAT into the discussion? Everybody pays the VAT, including Thais. Non-Thais can in fact get a refund of their VAT under certain conditions. Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

example1,

example2

example3

QUOTE:

With your mainland mates, perhaps you wear Hawaiian shirts? Instant karma!

lol I do wear hawaiian shirts. Unfortunately this is one of those rare cases where i can "walk the walk", but i cant "talk the talk".

That is, my pidgin isnt what it use to be. As soon as I open my mouth, i get a " Sorry Brah, no kama'aina rate for you. good try tho" sad.png

Edited by jamhar

They have dual pricing in my country. Special price for locals, full price for tourist. Do you think the locals want to return at full price after visiting the same attraction twenty times?

Go home and cry to your nanny.

They have dual pricing in my country. Special price for locals, full price for tourist. Do you think the locals want to return at full price after visiting the same attraction twenty times?

Problem is more when you live here have a long term visa and a drivers license and you still have to pay tourist price.

I get this for government places and such not for privately owned ones.

It IS always displayed. Maybe you can't read it because it's in Thai. Time to hit the books, eh?

Cunning, since the edge is directed towards those who cant read thai, very cunning, street-smart even

Problem is more when you live here have a long term visa and a drivers license and you still have to pay tourist price.

Not in my experience. 9/10 times you get the local rate by showing a drivers license or something else to prove you're not a tourist.

Cunning, since the edge is directed towards those who cant read thai, very cunning, street-smart even

And understandable, since they don't want whinging, belligerent farangs berating their 200 baht a day ticket vendors.

For those who feel the world will end if they don't know what everyone else is paying, even a third grader could learn the Thai numerals in about half an hour.

It is understandable once you realize they have no honor or values beyond money,

the fact that the majority of the population at some point worked as a prostitute proves the point

Edited by poanoi

Not in my experience. 9/10 times you get the local rate by showing a drivers license or something else to prove you're not a tourist.

I wont argue there because your right, though the percentage is a bit lower but more as 50%. That is why i only hate it on private places where they wont allow you to prove your a local.

I wont argue there because your right, though the percentage is a bit lower but more as 50%. That is why i only hate it on private places where they wont allow you to prove your a local.

Why on private places? Private businesses surely have the right to set up their prices as they think best to maximize their profits.