In A Relationship: Are Lies Acceptable?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hopefully not be in the OP's situation as my partner is very aware how I feel about it - so no in that situation.

But if you have not talked about it or made it clear.......

In Thai culture and politics, 'white lies' are ok.

"white lies" is actually an english expression.

Definition given by Google is "A harmless or trivial lie, esp. one told to avoid hurting someone's feelings"

Basically, while lying is something that should be avoided, western culture still consider that sometime it can be tolerated.

Nothing to do with Thai culture or politic.

• Like 2

There is a big difference between a mere white lie and a secret that can destroy a relation.

I just love rationalizations. So where do you draw the line? Is it when you find out that her brother is not really her brother, or when you find out that the money she asked for yesterday did not get used for it's intended purpose? Sorry, if someone is going to lie about small things do you really think they would have any compunction in lying about big things too? If so, I wish you luck.

• Like 2

Every response here is why I will never again have a LTR with a Thai woman, as in my experience they cannot tell the truth, even if they want to.

We read lots here about culture. In LOS I have had folk tell bear faced lies and I laugh. Guess what, they understand why I laugh. laugh.png

"white lies" is actually an english expression.

Duh. This whole thread is made of "English expressions."

If Thais are so far in denial about their white lies and even black lies that they don't have a term for it, it doesn't change the fact that they do it culturally.

How about < Thai script removed, this is the English language side of the forum, if you need to post in Thai, go over to the Thai language forum >

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1