Frequent Outages With Tot Internet

qdinthailand

Since the February 15 TOT outage that affected most of Thailand, I have been experiencing frequent, almost daily internet outages. I'm in Chiang Mai. Anywhere from a few minutes to up to an hour. Sometimes 3,4 or more times a day. And this is only when I'm actually using the internet - not when I'm away, doing other things - no sort of monitoring of their service. Just interruptions during the day and evening hours.

Anyone else experiencing similar outages?

I have to say, I'm pretty frustrated right now with TOT's service. I'm just a retired person, using the internet for news and entertainment (I don't do TV - television). If I had a business dependent upon internet connections, I'd definitely be looking for a new provider.

What should I do - throw my router back at TOT? Change into my Rambo suit and go First Blood on their ass?

Yes, same here with TOT Fiber in CM. I also have TRUE DOCSIS and there have also been problems with that although less frequently.

It is pretty frustrating.

PS. I have also had 3BB in the past and over the long run i have found TOT better.

Edited by MartinBKK

Though TOT are far from perfect, the frequency of outages that you describe sound more likely to be caused by a local problem. i.e. phone line wiring either within your premises or between you and the local DSLAM (the box that you and your neighbours are wired to). Or a problem with your router.

The TOT technicians should be able to determine where the problem lies. Unfortunately though TOT are probably the worst ISP in customer service. You really need to keep on top of them to get issues resolved.

I too have had frequent ToT outages of late in Chiang Mai. No connection for past 24 hours. It is now Monday morning, and I phoned again. I was told that they didn't fix it yesterday because technicians do not work on Sundays. No one bothered to tell me this yesterday - just said they could not say when techs would see to it. This is not the first problem, but I have yet to have anything approaching a reasonable service from them. Last time took 3 days for them to accept that my router was stuffed. Only good thing is that the phone girls have cute voices.

But there seems no alternative - 3BB doesn't sem any better.

The TOT contact centre number will often tell you what you want to hear. Ask to speak to a supervisor. You might be told there is none available, as I was quite often. Be persistent. Call again until you get a supervisor and they will usually sort something out. After all, a call to 1100 costs nothing from a mobile.

After I found out - through Thai visa - that there was no obvious problem with the modem, the supervisor asked me to take the modem to TOT and get them to check it.

TOT said the modem was OK.

Calling back the same supervisor (TOT do keep a check of whom you have spoken to), I got him to send out a new engineer and not the one that came 3 times and told me my modem 'is black and no good because it is black'.

The two new engineers who called round, sorted the line out and my outages have dropped by 90% or more. Now I only get them for a few minutes when they renew the IP address. Prior to that I was getting several outages per hour.

Same for me. I live in Hangdong area of Chiangmai and since the last 10 days my TOT Internet outage were frequent.

A couple of time a day. 30 minutes to a few hours.

They must have done something because since Monday it seem to be working fine.

Browsing other recent threads on this subject, 3BB and True service are also flakey in the past few weeks.

Jumping from one provider to another isn't an answer.

Should we all complain to TOT? Would they care, would it matter?

Or just shut up and suffer through these interruptions until whatever it is they are doing/needing to do to get their service stabilized is completed?

I live in Phuket and for the past few weeks infact last 2 months my True Cable Internet has been terrible.. Had about 6 tech visits and stiill the same.. dropout every few mins.. Still keep sending their bills however!

TOT internet sucks everywhere. These people can't keep the system running let alone give you the speed that you pay for. A product of the government.

No it doesn't - works fine where I am clap2.gif

And I didn't really have any complaints with TOT internet before the February 15 outage. It is only since that date that I have been experiencing frequent interruptions in service.

It seems others are also experiencing the same, which is why I started this thread.

'Misery loves company.'

• Like 1

What you see is what you get from TOT. Then northern switching network is in Chiang Mai. The people in Chiang Rai don't have a clue as to what is going on. I must say that the people that I have spoken to on the phone in Chiang Mai seem to know their stuff. However, the service still sucks!