Furby Dolls?! And Other Toys

Mapguy

I blinked more than twice when discovering a thread devoted to furby dolls available in Chiang Mai. The latest (I suppose) of faddish cute toys that parents fight over to get for their children, they are undeniably cute. May they enjoy their 15 minutes of fame!

Ok, fine --- as are dolls, generally --- but the problem that I have encountered when shopping for children, is finding educational games for children. (I will put aside the thought that some girl friends and wives might wish to have a furby doll!)

There don't seem to be many educational toys for children available. Very few are at all stimulating. You see some basic word games, and occasional games like Monopoly (fun and somewhat educational). There are some varieties of Scrabble, but that's not very everyone, certainly not anyone struggling early on to learn English. I believe that I have seen "Shoots and Ladders" and "Risk."

In Airport Plaza there is an entire section devoted to Lego kits. I am all for Lego EXCEPT that almost (if not all) of the kits are, well, kits. That is, each kit is designed to create what's pictured on the cover of the box; that is, see a rocket, you get blocks to build a rocket. No experimenting! No building your own castle or whatever. My goodness, think of the child who labors over replicating the image and ends up with a few pieces left over!!!! Psychic wounds ?!

Then, there are kits, predominately for hobbyists who have a passion for military weapons. The kits do encourage the development of certain skills, but they are not like the kits of old. (And one wonders about the fascination with military weapons,which has not changed for generations!)

Guns! There are some relatively benign modern variations, like "smurf guns." I don't get overly excited about the odds of children possibly putting out some other kid's eyes with a smurf gun, but what the hell is that all about? Point something at someone and shoot ?! Hmmmmm!

Movie-tie-in toys! That's all flavor of the month with little creative impact. Expensive, too.

Early learning toys. There are some available in Chiang Mai suitable for very young children. Some are more manipulative than others. All are basic. Fine for the age level.

Construction toys. Some offered in the KSK Central store are very interactive and instructive --- and hard for fathers to put together!!

Playing Cards: It is a shame that is very difficult to find playing cards because of the concern with gambling. Can't build card houses without them!! And a lot cheaper than the construction toys noted above.

So, what have you found?

• Like 1

re

Playing Cards: It is a shame that is very difficult to find playing cards

most 7 elevens sell them : )

dave2

Shhhhhhh! You weren't supposed to tell !!

I am confused by the pictures.

Edited by Mapguy

Educational games/toys are difficult to come by in the LOS. We often get them 2nd-hand from people in Bangkok (partner finds them for sale on the web). They are often originally sourced from the USA or Japan. Lego is great. My kid loves Lego. We paid a high price to get a large bucket-full again 2nd-hand.

Many of the things available in Central have instructions in Japanese only. I've given up on them.

There is a European couple that sells educational toys in C.M. but they are very evasive and their prices are astronomical. They have a very good, large selection. I forget where they advertise but they are out there. I suspect they are so evasive because they are obviously in business without a work permit, proper visa, etc.