Ministers Urged To Wear Only Thai Fabric

webfact

Ministers urged to wear only Thai fabric
Pakamard Jaichalard,
The Nation

30201235-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Culture Ministry will file a proposal with the Cabinet today suggesting that Cabinet ministers wear only clothes made from Thai fabric.

Culture Minister Sonthaya Kunplome said the measure would conserve energy, preserve Thai culture and promote the local textile industry. He has assigned permanent secretary Prissana Pongthadsirikul to notify all ministry offices to start a campaign urging that the public also wear Thai fabrics.

Five patterns have been designed for men and women to wear at work, as well as casual and semi-casual attire. The fabrics will include the "Ban Rai Phaoi Ngam" natural-dyed cloth designed by National Artist Saengda Bansith in Chiang Mai; chequered cloth from Nakhon Ratchasima's Pak Thong Chai district; and the "Lukkaew" pattern from Songkhla. These fabrics are easy to maintain, are suitable for the local climate and can be worn at all occasions, the minister said.

Sonthaya said he would also call on leading designers to come up with styles that are "very Thai".

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-05

Sonthaya said he would also call on leading designers to come up with styles that are "very Thai".

So that means they'll likely be a cheap knock off of some western design then...such as Burberry.

Seriously what a crock of crap - who the hell do these narrow minded cretins think they are, telling people what they should be wearing.

Edited by jonclark
  • Like 1

All this becomes a worry, some mine sites in Australia actually dictate what you shall wear from camp to the mine site change rooms,I think the word for today should be control, of course wearing silk at 35c, is a pretty good idea. Another idea is that all ministers could use cars only designed and built in Thailand . The Thai owned.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif "Thaskinland"cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

So that means they'll likely be a cheap knock off of some western design then...such as Burberry.

Seriously what a crock of crap - who the hell do these narrow minded cretins think they are, telling people what they should be wearing.

Thaksins lackeys

This is a good idea. Similarly Europeans and the USA should ban any products made in Thailand. Help put some of those jobless back to work in struggling economies. It would also help western economies if Thai food was prohibited - If the restaurants don't use vegetables and fruits from the USA, Spain, Italy and France, they should be run out of town.

To limit all the BS he spouts maybe Chalerm can have a custom fitted gag made from an Isaan loincloth.

used and unwashed loincloth.

Maybe the world should not buy Thai fabrics only their own.

Or from countries that believe in fair trade.

I hope the other AEC countries are watching this behavior. They can see what is in store for them when the AEC kicks in. What happened to all the "cooperation" with the other Asian countries Thais were boasting about?

This is a good idea. Similarly Europeans and the USA should ban any products made in Thailand. Help put some of those jobless back to work in struggling economies. It would also help western economies if Thai food was prohibited - If the restaurants don't use vegetables and fruits from the USA, Spain, Italy and France, they should be run out of town.

The Thais are not targeting US and EU imports.For example, I suggest you look at the Thai cotton production. It fell off. There is no price support for the Thai cotton igrowers. Australian cotton imports undercut the US exporters. The lower transport costs from Australia helped. Cotton, linen and light silks are excellent for the Thai climate. Unfortunately, the Thai textile industry is in love with synthetics like polyester, acrylic and polyamides which are some of the worst fabrics to wear in a sweat inducing environment. Thai silk is heavy duty and stands up well, but it is a heavy fabric and is not ideal for a suit or a light dress. . I can toss my Thai silk shirts in the washer with no problem. They last. On the other hand my crappy silk boxers disintegrated. They looked cool, but they were chinese silk which was thinner and not as strong as Thai silk.

Yes, this man sounds like a fool, but the desire to support the local textile and garment industry isn't such a bad idea. Unfortunately, the industry needs to refocus its production and stop trying to compete with the Chinese on the low end garment sector.

• Like 1

Best materials i have found for here are linen and crushed cotton.

But of course that isn't Thai.

As they have always been you only have to look at old footage of British colonial times in India they went with wool clothes but soon changed into Indian cotton

I have noticed here on some of the Thai TV channels the presenters and there is usually 3 of them sitting at the table all with the same uniform's on looking like assemble line worker's from a Japanese car factory.

Maybe they work for the army channels?

Rampant xenophobia strikes yet again. What a pathetic bunch of people they are in the ''Culture Ministry.

Let's see,

National religion is actually Indian in origin, Thailand it would seem was established by mass immigration from other Asian areas near and far.

Any home grown industries that haven't been copied from elsewhere, car manufacturing of genuine real Thai automobiles, motorcycles and trucks etc ?

Any great innovators as opposed to imitators in Thai history ?

When one views the industrial panorama and the cultural panorama there is indeed a great amount of scenery in that panoramic view that has been collected and put into place from other countries and cultures as is the case around the world.

We're all mongrels as our varied cultures and languages prove and Thaland and its people are no diffeent from the rest of the world no matter what the ''Culture Ministry'' may want to dictate.

Xenophobic jingoistic racists to the core seem to infest the Culture Ministry.

Rampant xenophobia strikes yet again. What a pathetic bunch of people they are in the ''Culture Ministry.

Let's see,

National religion is actually Indian in origin, Thailand it would seem was established by mass immigration from other Asian areas near and far.

Any home grown industries that haven't been copied from elsewhere, car manufacturing of genuine real Thai automobiles, motorcycles and trucks etc ?

When one views the industrial panorama and the cultural panorama there is indeed a great amount of scenery in that panoramic view that has been collected and put into place from other countries and cultures as is the case around the world.

We're all mongrels as our varied cultures and languages prove and Thaland and its people are no diffeent from the rest of the world no matter what the ''Culture Ministry'' may want to dictate.

What do we know?

They are always right you know that surely.

I wonder who makes their sh-t hse paper

Let's see,

Unsurprising that the Culture Ministry was established on October 2, 2002 by the Thaksin administration.

Edited by Buchholz

I am actually in favor of using local resources and products where possible and practical.

However, it is not practical to have sweat dripping off your elbows and finger tips

esp around 220V plugs as an example.blink.png

• Like 1

May I start the struggle for equality and urge the Minister for Culture not to forget us men. We, the male members of Ms. Yingluck's cabinet would also like the opportunity to drop our foreign designed and made suits and neckties and get some proper, Thai attire instead.

PS was it 1995 or 1996 that then PM Banharn had the same wonderful idea, but simply couldn't come to dropping his real French silk ties?

• Like 1