Which Hospital?

prospero

I had an exceedingly bad experience at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital and never want to set foot in the place again.

What is the best local alternative?

Phayathai?

Pattaya International?

Pattaya Memorial?

Samativej?

Comparisons would be helpful.

I've used QSH and also rave about it -- up to a point. The waits are exceedingly long and English is hardly spoken. There are times when I don't mind that, but I'd like an alternative.

It's very close to U-Tapao airport -- at the junction of Sukhumvit and Highway 331.

Edited by prospero
  • Like 1

I've used QSH and also rave about it -- up to a point. The waits are exceedingly long and English is hardly spoken. There are times when I don't mind that, but I'd like an alternative.

It's very close to U-Tapao airport -- at the junction of Sukhumvit and Highway 331.

Good hospital ,the only problem ,is if living in Pattaya and having a heart attack or stroke ,its quite a long way to drive.sad.png

Just ask yourself why is Pattaya International not on BUPA Thailands approved list?

Probably, like most places, they don't re-imburse or cover enough of the bill to make it worth the hospitals time. Not all that unusual here in Thailand, since hospitals here don't like insurance, they want CASH

I have first class insurance from the US (BC/BS) and had a difficult time getting PIH to accept it

• Like 1

I have first class insurance from the US (BC/BS) and had a difficult time getting PIH to accept it

I suspect that is because the insurance companies will often try to negotiate the bill down, and rightly so given the amount of overcharging that goes on.

If the hospital can get paid directly by the patient they will probably get 100% of the bill.

• Like 1

Just ask yourself why is Pattaya International not on BUPA Thailands approved list?

Probably, like most places, they don't re-imburse or cover enough of the bill to make it worth the hospitals time. Not all that unusual here in Thailand, since hospitals here don't like insurance, they want CASH

You are miss reading my question, it is BUPA who will not allow use of Pattaya International not Pattaya International that do not accept BUPA.

Fully agreed ref. BPH. Mostly bad experiences. But there is some good Doctors and I can't generalize.

Very pleased about Pyathai, also not as plush as others. Pattaya International has improved a lot, but would not use for major surgery, trauma. Memorial only for minor problems, except if you have personal recommendations for a specific Dr. / case.

Anything cancer do NOT use any hospitals away from Bangkok. There is some ok. choices there, even Wattanasoth / BH-Group. Also very good experience at Bangkok General, also BH-Group. Unfortunately Bumrungrad now full of Arabs, Horizon Cancer Center also filled with Arabs same for Check-up Center. Stopped going there myself and with friends.

More important than the hospital is the choice of Doctor, if you have a choice. And a good insurance. Good luck. PF.

Does anyone have experience with thai SS and emergency usage, especially at a hospital outside of the designated one?

In theory if it's a true emergency and there's just no possible way you can reach your designated hsp in time, or your designated hsp can't handle the problem, Thai SS will reimburse after you pay upfront and submit the forms.

Otherwise not, and the bias is on the "not."

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

I had an appendix operation in June last Year at Memorial. In December I had a hernia operation. Very nice, professional staff. Both operations were made the same day I came to the hospital.

I've had quite decent experiences at Pattaya International after a minor moto accident. Night of the incident, about 1 am, doctor asked the right questions and checked the right things. Gave me two pills and one muscular relaxant cream. Total bill: 780 baht. Three more visits for dressing changes. 200 per. GF's been there for chronic shoulder muscle problem and she seems to be improving.

Good hospital ,the only problem ,is if living in Pattaya and having a heart attack or stroke ,its quite a long way to drive.sad.png

I don't think they can handle strokes or heart attacks. No cath lab. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think they can handle strokes or heart attacks. No cath lab. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually i am not sure ,but as we live near BPH ,its the hospital i would go/be taken to.

I had an appendix operation in June last Year at Memorial. In December I had a hernia operation. Very nice, professional staff. Both operations were made the same day I came to the hospital.

How much was your hernia operation at memorial and who was the surgeon?

Sent from my GT-I9100T

That does not surprise me. There is only one hospital on the eastern seaboard that is accepted and has a working relationship with BC/BS and that is BHP. There are over 50 hospitals in Bangkok however.

It seems to me it would be critical to find out which hospitals could handle a stroke or heart attack with a cath lab or a bypass or other complicated procedures before finding out which one had the frills one liked. I Think Bangkok Pattaya is the only choice in Pattaya. Other than that one must go to Sriracha or Bangkok. Am I mistaken in this? I don't think there is a possibility in Sattahip or Rayong.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

What Pattaya hospitals are on the BUPA approved list?

Hospitals in Pattaya approved are BPH and Pattaya Memorial

My hernia operation cost 66.000 baht. Stayed 1 night in private room. Came in during the afternoon, they operated at about 9 o'clock after the test results were finished. The operation was made by a general surgeon named Konchai (Kronchai). A very nice and professional guy with lots of humor. He came to my room several times after the op and checked on me. The other staff took care of me around the clock.

Almost to much attention..just wanted to sleep..:) The pain afterwards is bearable, it takes a while though to get back in action..

• Like 1

Perhaps if the OP (Prospero) could be a little more specific about his problem with BPH then we could be a little more objective.

I.e. did they cut off your leg when you only wanted your ear wax removing? Or did they dare to request that you to pay your bill for your medical treatment?

Samitivej in Sri Racha is said to be good. There is a recent thread in here saying good things about PBH significantly improving their billing system.

Is there not another one there as well that may be decent for minor things?

yes, the Phaya Thai hospital. My choice for OPD at the moment.
  • Like 1

The point is, with a heart attack or stroke: There may be just one hospital able to deal with heart-attacks at the moment that you suffer from one......no choice to be made.

The point is, with a heart attack or stroke: There may be just one hospital able to deal with heart-attacks at the moment that you suffer from one......no choice to be made.

Sirikit is only 20 minutes away but I don't think they can deal with a heart attack or stroke. Anyone know for sure?

Samitivej in Sri Racha is said to be good. There is a recent thread in here saying good things about PBH significantly improving their billing system.

Is there not another one there as well that may be decent for minor things?

yes, the Phaya Thai hospital. My choice for OPD at the moment.

Where are they located Raro?

Sirikit is only 20 minutes away but I don't think they can deal with a heart attack or stroke. Anyone know for sure?

It is around 35 min away from Central Pattaya at best without traffic and it is a government hospital in Thailand with very low standards compared to any modern western hospital.