Thai Wife Of German Man Killed By Crazed Elephant In Rayong

webfact

An owner of an animal, that shows up with food for you to buy, so the animal eats, is a total play on emotion, and sociopathic...

Rubbish, the animal knows what ever happens it's going to eat it. It doesn't know about money changing hands the same as a race horse doesn't know why it's being whipped around a track, but it knows food is awaiting.coffee1.gif

That is just the most ridiculous piece of anthropomorphism so far....I doubt if it will be the last

So whats your opinion on Zoo's which near every country has, AND, folk have been killed in them ?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An owner of an animal, that shows up with food for you to buy, so the animal eats, is a total play on emotion, and sociopathic...

Rubbish, the animal knows what ever happens it's going to eat it. It doesn't know about money changing hands the same as a race horse doesn't know why it's being whipped around a track, but it knows food is awaiting.coffee1.gif

That is just the most ridiculous piece of anthropomorphism so far....I doubt if it will be the last

So whats your opinion on Zoo's which near every country has, AND, folk have been killed in them ?

I beg your pardon? Can you make yourself clearer? What have zoos got to do with it?

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

It is quite common for street animals to be drugged to suppress tourist-unfriendly behaviour. However any organism coming down of a period of drug administration is likely to have abnormal even unpredictable behaviour.

Well l am glad we have CSI here to tell us the Chang was on LSD. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

There have been similar incidents on Koh Chang from an elephant camp in the last few years which have been kept relatively quiet.

I have seen enough of these incidents now to not go elephant trekking again and would warn friends and family not to do so.

• Like 1

Surely in a case like this, wouldn't the elephant be put to sleep. It killed a human, after all.

My sympathy for Mr.Helmut Schoeler for the loss of his wife.

I hope the police confiscate the elephant and move it to a place where it can live in some peace rather than being hobbled to beg for food at a temple on/near the beach.

Let's hope the elephant's owner, probably someone with some money, is sued for compensation for the husband's loss. No doubt the mahout only has what he stands up in.

The hot weather made the elephant insane or the treatment it had received from it's mahout?

It wasn't particularly hot here today anyway --- certainly not any hotter than any other day this week. So they're going to prosecute the poor elephant owner who begs for money?

Elephants seem to be very dangerous animals due to their unpredicability - and when they go "insane" they usually kill.

I've visited with tethered elephants several times at close range. However, once I was knocked to the ground by a large female. She blindsided me and knocked me down with her trunk. I was lucky she didn't step on me. I was handing out bananas to a small herd, and the matriarch was probably angry that I didn't give the whole bunch to her.

Sorry to hear about the woman so painfully gored - very sad.

This story is sad, and seems to occur on a fairly regular basis here.

Then there is a big crackdown on begging elephants. Then everything

goes quiet for a while. And then another tourist is killed by an elephant.

Maybe time to change the tune ??

The mistreatment of wild animals and the exposure of unsuspecting people to possible danger from them seems to occur on a fairly regular basis in places other than "here" as well, as this story [below] illustrates.

Stories about the daily work of the RSPCA in UK or various animal welfare police in American cities and in South Africa, involving both domestic and wild animals, demonstrate unbelievable disregard for the welfare of animals. They air on Animal Planet or similar channels regularly.

I was so disheartened to see the BBC’s comedy angle on the coverage of the circus elephant in Ireland, Baby, who made a temporary break from her life in the circus, only for her keepers to re-capture her.

Personally the sight of men running after an animal with what looked like a bull hook(a weapon used to intimidate animals) doesn’t make me laugh. It’s simply a depressing reminder that wild animals like Baby unfortunate enough to be part of a circus act today are living miserable lives of forced showmanship and intimidation in the name of light-hearted entertainment.

Elephants in the circus are arguably one of the most at risk of severe suffering as they are highly intelligent and have extremely complex welfare needs which can never be met in a travelling circus.

Aside from the sad situation that Baby finds herself in through no fault of her own, with such flimsy enclosures and the fact that somehow circuses manage to dodge even the most basic health and safety rules (where else would a three year old child be so exposed to a 2.5 tonne frustrated wild animal who could rampage at any moment), it’s only a matter of time before a tragic incident.

The RSPCA is still considering its position on the Westminster government’s proposals for a licensing scheme for circuses with wild animals in England, but we do have serious concerns as no firm commitment has been made regarding a deadline for a ban and the documents outlining the proposals are peppered with contradictions.

http://blogs.rspca.org.uk/insights/2012/03/29/if-only-baby-could-say-goodbye-to-the-circus/

Edited by Suradit69

If humans would be the size of elephants we would probably much more dangerous when walking on the streets than real elephants.

I think elephants are very calm and kind animals and can be tamed, but if they have a bad day, their size makes them deadly. Therefore we should not use them for tourist amusement.

I feel so sorry for the husband. It must be terrible to suddenly loose your partner is such a stupid accident.

• Like 1

My sympathy for Mr.Helmut Schoeler for the loss of his wife.

I hope the police confiscate the elephant and move it to a place where it can live in some peace rather than being hobbled to beg for food at a temple on/near the beach.

Let's hope the elephant's owner, probably someone with some money, is sued for compensation for the husband's loss. No doubt the mahout only has what he stands up in.

price will be 80,000 baht life is cheap here. remmember that is what was offered to family of a young girl from uk killed by elephant some time back 2 or 3 years.

I feel sorry for the elephant that it would have a bad consequence after having killed a human. Most mahouts are Burmese live and work in Thailand illegally. Thai police does not bother arresting them despite of knowing that they are illegal immigrants. Damn to all mahouts who force labor on elephants to make a living for them.

May the deceased Thai wife rest in peace.

I would prefer the elephant to kill the mahout instead, the one who forced the elephant to work without adequate rest and food provided.

Edited by BrooklynNY
  • Like 1

One of my basic rules for survival is ....... Never go anywhere near any animal that could do you a lot of damage in a short time if it was having a bad day ! Still very unfortunate though.

Agree, I got divorced.

The good news is you seem to have suffered no physical damage. :rolleyes:

It is quite common for street animals to be drugged to suppress tourist-unfriendly behaviour. However any organism coming down of a period of drug administration is likely to have abnormal even unpredictable behaviour.

Well l am glad we have CSI here to tell us the Chang was on LSD. coffee1.gif

Judging by your posts on this you really haven't got a clue about elephants or their predicament in Thailand at all, have you?

• Like 2

A very sad occurance. My prayers to the grieving husband and famlily for their loss of the deceased lady. People are killed in auto accidents everyday, but we don't ban cars or gas stations. One should always be aware.that animals are unpredictable - be it your neighbor's pet dog, or these so-called tamed wild beasts. :(

Last year, was with some friends at Ban Amphor beach, and there was an elephant begging, or rather its owner was begging. My friends had a baby, and was letting it play with the elephant. I tried to warn them, that elephants are dangerous, but since they were Thai, they didnt worry about it. People think they are helping the elephant, by buying it food, but they are only helping the owner, since he is the one selling the food.

I agree, it makes my blood boil when I see these magnificent animals, often very young ones, being cruelly dragged from bar to bar at night in city streets by 3 or 4 fit young men as here; 26 or 27 years old taking a few baht here and there for sugar cane. Elephants belong with their herd in the forest. There is work everywhere in the towns and cities for these young men, even if they r unskilled. Thailand is booming with construction everywhere u look....a young labourers paradise.

• Like 2

such a sad story , very sorry for this woman , maybe time to realized that elephant are not that peaceful after all. They should be forbidden on the beach or any other tourist area.. rare accident for sure but it happened. sad.png

+1

Bad for the thai mahout that he killed a thai woman !

If a thai kill a thai it's a severe sentence but if the tourist was a stupid farang it would be less damageable !

For the life of me i do not understand why there are always people who feel the need to bring this crap up?

Person died in a very tragic manner, who cares thai or german or an eskimo?

what is "a stupid farang" if anything person writing something like is rather short on few brain cells

Tourists in general need to take a lot of the blame, as they are the ones creating the demand. They should stay well away from chained up animals like elephants, tigers, bears, etc. It's very cruel to treat animals this way for the amusement of tourists. And shame on all the tourists that perpetuate these cruelties. The cruelty is often obvious to see, bit most tourists just don't care, as long as they get their precious photo.

So you want to ban horse racing ?
Mmmm - it's an idea that would find huge backing amongst the animal rights communities around the world.
  • Like 1

Elephants reacting to being chained and paraded about for cash is not uncommon. When the little ones are dragged up and down the street cafes in our town we always say MAI MAI (they don't hear it said just once!) and wave them away. Forcing wild animals to walk along heavily-congested and polluted main roads for gain is cruel extortion. Wish it could be banned. RIP the tragic lady who died in a horrible way. We would never go near enough to a performing elephant to possibly suffer the same dreadful fate.

• Like 1

Tourists in general need to take a lot of the blame, as they are the ones creating the demand. They should stay well away from chained up animals like elephants, tigers, bears, etc. It's very cruel to treat animals this way for the amusement of tourists. And shame on all the tourists that perpetuate these cruelties. The cruelty is often obvious to see, bit most tourists just don't care, as long as they get their precious photo.

So you want to ban horse racing ?

Can't remember the last time I saw a chained-up race horse?

• Like 1