The Russians, Revisited...

swissie

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First there were Americans, then the Brits, now its Russians, Indians, and Chinese. Just be patient, and wait ten more years, it will be some other nationality. At least the Russians dont talk Football all day and night!

Nobody could disagree with the need for common courtesies, but the lack of them is sadly not restricted to Russia.

but why speak English? Did this delightful country change it's first language to English?

• Like 2

First there were Americans, then the Brits, now its Russians, Indians, and Chinese. Just be patient, and wait ten more years, it will be some other nationality. At least the Russians dont talk Football all day and night!

You forgot to mention Arabs and other muslim nationalities. They're quite a significant presence these days - even down at the gym. The Arabs make the Russians seem courteous by comparison.

• Like 1

IMHO: It would help, if something like "Good Morning, Thank you, Have a nice day, etc.." Could be instilled to russian visitors as normal civilized bahaviour. Especially "thank-you"!

слова благодарности This, according to an online dictionary, is 'thank you' in Russian. Remember it Comrade. In a few years when Russian becomes the lingua franca in Pattaya, you might be considered less than civilised if you don't use it

Edited by Radar501
  • Like 1

Nobody could disagree with the need for common courtesies, but the lack of them is sadly not restricted to Russia.

but why speak English? Did this delightful country change it's first language to English?

No but in these parts anyway, there appears to be a conflict about what is the most important SECOND language.

• Like 1

IMHO: It would help, if something like "Good Morning, Thank you, Have a nice day, etc.." Could be instilled to russian visitors as normal civilized bahaviour. Especially "thank-you"!

слова благодарности This is 'thank you' in Russian. Remember it Comrade. In a few years when Russian becomes the lingua franca in Pattaya, you might be considered less than civilised if you don't use it

Are you suggesting the Russians should learn English courteous expressions? Perhaps we should be learning Russian courtesies?

I find a large percentage of Thais lack these basic courtesies too... which is even worse because they are in retail businesses dealing with paying customers.

In reality we have a huge mix of different nationalities, which all have their different ideas of what is "correct" behaviour. Who are we to "correct" them?

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

слова благодарности This, according to an online dictionary, is 'thank you' in Russian. Remember it Comrade. In a few years when Russian becomes the lingua franca in Pattaya, you might be considered less than civilised if you don't use it

Close, but better would be (phonetically): spasiba (thank you) or spasiba bolshoi (thank you very much). Other helpful phrases: Dobra utra (good morning). Eezvenitay (excuse me, pardon me). Ochin priatna (pleased to meet you)

In a second visit to Pattaya, some russiam males will possibly forget to bring their russian girlfriend alongbiggrin.png .

I hope not. Those girlfriends are the best aspect of the invasion!

• Like 2

A group that is clueless about etiquette are the new, first time Indian travelers. Loud,no awareness of "space", doesn't always line up at a Seven Eleven, cannot use elevators propperly,glued together in groups... but this behavior is considered normal back in their country.

A group that is clueless about etiquette are the new, first time Indian travelers. Loud,no awareness of "space", doesn't always line up at a Seven Eleven, cannot use elevators propperly,glued together in groups... but this behavior is considered normal back in their country.

Let's do the sums: one billion Indians behaving in the appalling manner you described. Add another billion Chinese who probably behave in the same way. Add to that a few million Russian peasants. It appears that your etiquette is rather strange to the majority on this planet. Of course, you are more polite from a western standpoint but you do realise you are in Asia now, so better get used to a lack of (western) manners and count your blessings whenever you encounter your type of etiquette. :P:lol:

• Like 2

Close, but better would be (phonetically): spasiba (thank you) or spasiba bolshoi (thank you very much). Other helpful phrases: Dobra utra (good morning). Eezvenitay (excuse me, pardon me). Ochin priatna (pleased to meet you)

I prefer Dasvidanja - Goodbye! coffee1.gif

I prefer Dasvidanja - Goodbye! coffee1.gif

Actually, that is closer to "til we meet again.."

I find them an amusing addition to the sport of pattaya people watching.

I had one come up to me on the weekend and start speaking rapidfire ruski.

Sh!t do I look russian.

Maybe I should stop wearing the cowboy hat / adidas track wear combination

• Like 1

You forgot the most important!

Nazdrovye.

With wodka in hand please :lol:

In which case you cannot say they are "clueless about etiquette". They are only clueless about what you consider etiquette.

I find them an amusing addition to the sport of pattaya people watching. I had one come up to me on the weekend and start speaking rapidfire ruski. Sh!t do I look russian. Maybe I should stop wearing the cowboy hat / adidas track wear combination

This happened to you once? This is nearly a daily occurrence for me.

• Like 1

I find them an amusing addition to the sport of pattaya people watching. I had one come up to me on the weekend and start speaking rapidfire ruski. Sh!t do I look russian. Maybe I should stop wearing the cowboy hat / adidas track wear combination

This happened to you once? This is nearly a daily occurrence for me.

Yeah me too. At the least I get what I call the look. The look being Russians looking at me and wondering if I speak Russian. I find if I rebuff "the look" they often get the message. I find most times when they do make the Russian speaking attempt and then find out its not happening, the response to that is usually rude, that's why I try to abort with the nonverbal rebuff.

Edited by Jingthing

maybe one of them will rob a bank, kill some cops and escape on a boat again and get the whole country banned again. wishful thinking?

Oh I remember that, they were that dumb they pointed the escape boat in the direction of Sattahip, nothing beats careful planning.

Nazdrovye.

With wodka in hand please laugh.png

I've never understood that one.

Toasting someone's good health. With a water glass full of vodka or cognac. At 8 AM. For breakfast.

That's healthy? heh....

Nazdrovye.

With wodka in hand please laugh.png

I've never understood that one.

Toasting someone's good health. With a water glass full of vodka or cognac. At 8 AM. For breakfast.

That's healthy? heh....

Don't underestimate the health benefits of being happy and having a good time.