Young Driver From Wealthy Family Gets Suspended Jail Term

Buchholz

Depressing.

I post this every 6 months to the delights of the "Go Home Brigade": getting my one month holiday late this month whistling.gif , I really need that break from Thailand to keep my sanity.

I guess one day I will not come back here.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai will not shake their head in disbelief ... but I do.

I think most Thais not only aren't disbelieving, but the SILENT majority actually approves of this status quo and an "elite" young man like that actually going to prison for a well deserved LONG TERM with the peasants in the same conditions as the peasants would be shocking and disturbing. I know that's going to piss some people off but where is the evidence/action to show that isn't true?

I am not so sure about this.Last year a son of a wealthy business man in our village killed a woman during a car accident he did not take the blame but an employee of his father who sat in the car with him.People said he had to take the blame to keep his job.They were very angry.Two days ago somebody took a shot at the son.He missed him,but a few hours later the son went to Bangkok.

I have to admit.

I am getting worn out by all this corruption.

That makes two of us. To me it seems openly crazy that money talks, for the world to see. sad.png
Make that three.

...and since it is not getting any better and there is not the slightest change in sight, it is not the first time, I think about packing up and leaving.

...and I only came here 5,5 years ago...

Nearly 17 years, and starting to lose that loving feeling

+1 - 15 years in and not liking the fact it's getting worse in terms of the behavior of the current generation of rich kids.

Especially with my kids entering their teens soon.

Shame though.

All the ranting,won't,make one iota of difference.

Visitors to Thailand,complain about Thai justice system.

Gives the Thais a laugh every time.

Not in my experience. My Thai friends are pretty disgusted about this too.

I have to admit.

I am sure there are many who are worn out by all the corruption, not the least are the Thais themselves. I have only been here for 4 years but my wife has lived here all her life and she is as worn out by it as are many others.

Sometimes the people try to fight the system and fail. They want to see justice in cases like this but know it will not happen.

Some are scared to fight against the system as they know the consequences. Hard to blame the few Thai's who want change because of the threats on their lives.

There are also many Thai people who look at these situations and believe that if only they can get enough money they too will be beyond the reach of the "Law".

Changes will come but it will take a long time. I do not believe it will come in my childrens lifetime ,,, but hopes are my grand-childrens life here in Thailand will be better than it is now. I think anybody who is raising a family here hopes for a better future for their children.

The Thai system is so innately corrupt that all who come from this system are likewise corrupt so It can only be changed through outside pressure, that is international pressure or Thais educated outside Thailand. That why I hope that ASEAN may be a catalyst of change, but alas I believe the Thai system needs to collapse and to fall into conflict before anything will change. However, the PTP government and Redshirt movement seem to have Thailand well down this road to social and finacial coll let's not forget tapse.

And let's not orget the warcry of the paymaster and the red leaders: ....'fight for democracy and equal justice for all Thais'.... ....'no double standards'... .

Since they have been in office none of this has ever been mentioned again.

Note that the paymaster, his red leaders now in positions in government with considerable power, the puppet PM, the justice minister, all of them totally silent.

I wonder what would happen if a member of their own families committed a road offence and in the wrong?

So if the victims family beat this guy to death can they use the same defence? I am sorry your honour but I was really pissed off at this guy getting off and I flew into a rage and couldn't control myself.

The Red Bull guy must be very happy, he didn't deliberately run down the officer in a premeditated act. He will probably walk away with a 50 baht fine

Using the combined mass of membership here it would be nice to think someone knew how to get the link to this thread into the inbox of the boy.

It would be nice to know his FB name.

Appalling decision.

Spoilt brat turned dysfunctional young adult flies into a rage and chases a minibus for a considerable distance forcing the minibus to ask the passengers to get off and then he rams into the disembarking passengers, killing one and severely injuring others.

Very rich family with high-level police as family members. No jail time. Feudal society.

So you stay for what.

What has your reply got to do Briggsy's post? Where did he/she make any reference to his/her decision to stay in Thailand and what connection is there to that and his/her comments about this story and Thai society? I believe more than a few readers have concluded that the driver received special treatment and an extremely lenient sentence because of his family's money and connections, something that happened in feudal societies throughout history.

• Like 1

I have to admit.

That makes two of us. To me it seems openly crazy that money talks, for the world to see. sad.png

Make that three.

...and since it is not getting any better and there is not the slightest change in sight, it is not the first time, I think about packing up and leaving.

...and I only came here 5,5 years ago...

I've been here since '94 (and no Doc that was not 1894). It was corrupt when I got here and it has appeard to grow but I think it was about the same because now it is brought out in the open more. Of course with any populace policy corruption is easier due to the amount of money involved. I know I rave about YL and the PTP being corrupt and they are but the democrats have certainly had their moments also.

Money is such a temptation to people in power that corruption will always be with us and if we were to move to another country it would be the same there. I love the USA (not the government) but the politicians are shamefully corrupt just like most of them here.

So until corruption starts affecting me personally in my daily life I'll just do like we all do and complain about it but leaving is not an option, well not yet anyhow.

I've been here since 1998 and 100% of the negativity that I see about Thailand is on this forum. Sure it's not perfect, but there's some reason that we remain here!

A post in violation of fair use has been removed. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

also from the thread at the time, the characters involved in the above quotes... father and son

and below quotes... mother and son

and their incredulous comments led to the sort of outrage the BBC addressed in their article 2 weeks later...

Posted 2008-03-24

Image576579997764_zpsb76b3816.jpg

Image98989898--333_zpsa90e3cb1.jpg

Today the Phrakanong Court called Kanpitak Pachimsawas or Muham, son of former Miss Thailand Savinee Pachimsawas, to participate in a court hearing session on his premeditated-murder case, resulting from aggressive driving.

The 20-year-old is charged with premeditated-murder and assault.

Kanpitak swerved his car into the footpath near a bus-stop where many people were waiting for buses after he got into an argument with the driver of bus number 513, claiming that the bus hit him and fled. One died and three others were injured.

What was surprising was that his mother had earlier told the court her son no longer drives, but he was involved in another accident with a bus just last week.

His parents indicated he has a mental condition and he cannot control himself when he is under a lot of stress.

- Thailand Outlook - March 24, 2008

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/129283-man-rams-benz-into-bus-passengers-killing-one/

Edited by Buchholz

Its strange but my wifes sister who has always lived in Thailand would not bat an eyelid at this ,yet my wife who has lived many years in the west thinks its a disgrace ,just goes to show that Thai people are indoctanated to this sort of thing and see it as normal ,its only when they leave Thailand they see how the world (or westerners) at least see things.

Quite a lot of outrage from Thais on the Thai internet message boards about yesterday's verdict saying the system is corrupt and you can get away with anything if you're rich enough.

"It was found that the victim was killed while the defendant could not control himself."

Useful defence for anyone planning a murder as the legal precedence has now been set.

Sickening that this decision is, I don't believe that judicial precedent in Thailand is binding - another court does not have to follow this court's ruling.

Its strange but my wifes sister who has always lived in Thailand would not bat an eyelid at this ,yet my wife who has lived many years in the west thinks its a disgrace ,just goes to show that Thai people are indoctanated to this sort of thing and see it as normal ,its only when they leave Thailand they see how the world (or westerners) at least see things.

Quite a lot of outrage from Thais on the Thai internet message boards about yesterday's verdict saying the system is corrupt and you can get away with anything if you're rich enough.

Yeah, of course there is. However, we will not read of single soul actually doing anything about it. Their outrage is simply not impressive. Nor is it enough to change the country they care so deeply about. They are weak, the lot of them. Weak willed, passive psuedo-citizens.

also from the thread at the time, the characters involved in the above quotes... father and son

and below quotes... mother and son

and their incredulous comments led to the sort of outrage the BBC addressed in their article 2 weeks later...

Posted 2008-03-24

Image576579997764_zpsb76b3816.jpg

Image98989898--333_zpsa90e3cb1.jpg

Today the Phrakanong Court called Kanpitak Pachimsawas or Muham, son of former Miss Thailand Savinee Pachimsawas, to participate in a court hearing session on his premeditated-murder case, resulting from aggressive driving.

The 20-year-old is charged with premeditated-murder and assault.

Kanpitak swerved his car into the footpath near a bus-stop where many people were waiting for buses after he got into an argument with the driver of bus number 513, claiming that the bus hit him and fled. One died and three others were injured.

What was surprising was that his mother had earlier told the court her son no longer drives, but he was involved in another accident with a bus just last week.

His parents indicated he has a mental condition and he cannot control himself when he is under a lot of stress.

- Thailand Outlook - March 24, 2008

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/129283-man-rams-benz-into-bus-passengers-killing-one/

I think Dad needs to speak to his tailor, that suit certainly doen't sit well and looks very cheap.

Yeah, of course there is. However, we will not read of single soul actually doing anything about it. Their outrage is simply not impressive. Nor is it enough to change the country they care so deeply about. They are weak, the lot of them. Weak willed, passive psuedo-citizens.

Perhaps you can lead the way then.

• Like 1

Kinda ironic isn't it. Poor fella gets his shiny Merc scratched, and then uses it as a bowling ball to skittle a group of people.

So many normally mild-mannered Thai men possess a Dr. Jeckyl Mr. Hyde personality disorder when they jump in the driver's seat of a car.

Still, some good may come out of this tragedy. The court has 'asked' Mr. Ham to have his mental problem treated.

Edited by Radar501

Appalling decision.

Spoilt brat turned dysfunctional young adult flies into a rage and chases a minibus for a considerable distance forcing the minibus to ask the passengers to get off and then he rams into the disembarking passengers, killing one and severely injuring others.

Very rich family with high-level police as family members. No jail time. Feudal society.

High level, indeed.

"Moo Ham" Patchimsawat's grandfather - Police General Krit Patchimsawat, uncle - Police Lieutenant-General Ukrit Patchimsawat was a Deputy National Police Chief, another uncle - Police Major-General Keuanant Patchimsawat

That sort of line-up doesn't bode well for the realization of his initial conviction for murder and 15 year prison sentence.

• Like 1

lost for words really .... lived here for 12/13 years now .... and still can not understand why ppl like this can walk away from things .... sure ok money ... what must the rest of the world see and think thailand is about .... one day things might change here ....

think .... hiso kids and asre holes like this should be very carefull what and where they go from now on .....

they might meet up with ... charles bronson .... from death wish ......

Appalling decision.

Disgusting decision, but sadly not surprising. This odious little turd, has got a get out of jail free card to continue his disgusting behaviours. Whilst , none of us are able to diagnose his Mental Illness, I seriously doubt the validity of any diagnosis given by the reporting Doctor. Money and influence once again shows that there is no equal law in Land of Somchai.

• Like 2

Appalling decision.

Disgusting decision, but sadly not surprising. This odious little turd, has got a get out of jail free card to continue his disgusting behaviours. Whilst , none of us are able to diagnose his Mental Illness, I seriously doubt the validity of any diagnosis given by the reporting Doctor. Money and influence once again shows that there is no equal law in Land of Somchai.

He is purportedly suffering from bipolar disorder according to news reports, but as you say, such diagnosing is perfunctory in a situation such as his.

Wow.... from 15 years to 10 years to ultimately nothing (via a suspended sentence).

The Thai justice system certainly is moving up in the world... cheesy.gif

Maybe they need to form a Hi-So "Suspended Sentence Club" for convicted criminals in Thailand.

This guy, the teenage driver in the van accident, probably the Red Bull case somewhere in the future, and on and on...

Thailand... the hub of suspended sentences for hi-so criminals.

Wow.... from 15 years to 10 years to ultimately nothing (via a suspended sentence).

The Thai justice system certainly is moving up in the world... cheesy.gif

Maybe they need to form a Hi-So "Suspended Sentence Club" for convicted criminals in Thailand.

This guy, the teenage driver in the van accident, probably the Red Bull case somewhere in the future, and on and on...

Thailand... the hub of suspended sentences for hi-so criminals.

You got it. coffee1.gif

Whenever these kinds of cases and verdicts arise, you might think there'd be some cry of protest from the political party here that supposedly represents the common man/woman, the simple upcountry people as opposed to the rich hi-so's....

But, of course, there never is, nor is there any effort made to change the current system for the better. Perhaps that's because that particularly party is led by the very same rich folks who expect to rely on the very same kind of scams and evasion to escape any judicial/criminal case that might come their way.

It's through these kinds of cases that people can see whose interests they're really looking out for...and it has nothing to do with the common Thai people who would have been languishing in jail all this time were they the ones behind the wheel of the car instead.

Perhaps you can lead the way then.

F'no. Why would I? I'm not from Thailand, thank god; not Thai, thank the cosmos. Why would I waste my time? Let 'em rot in their own misfortunes.

The reduction in sentences from jail to no jail and no other real punishment over a number of years by subsequent court decisions and appeals is the standard operating tactic for cases of this sort. The initial tough sentence assuages some of the public outcry and by the time the final decision is announced several years later, the whole thing is old news and people have cooled down. During the whole very lengthy process, the defendant is on bail with no restrictions on his movements or lifestyle.

The reduction in sentences from jail to no jail and no other real punishment over a number of years by subsequent court decisions and appeals is the standard operating tactic for cases of this sort. The initial tough sentence assuages some of the public outcry and by the time the final decision is announced several years later, the whole thing is old news and people have cooled down. During the whole very lengthy process, the defendant is on bail with no restrictions on his movements or lifestyle.

Included in his freedom during the process is his opportunity to re-offend, which he took.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/623681-young-driver-from-wealthy-family-gets-suspended-jail-term/page-5#entry6178733

• Like 1