Non B Visa For Teaching

Hi all,

25 year old US citizen with a BA in Mechanical Engineering currently on the 30 days extension of a tourist visa valid until April 10. Initially here to visit my father, his Thai wife, and half-siblings (both Thai nationals), but now I have an opportunity to stay for a year working at a Private Vocational school in Rayong teaching Machine Shop, Math, and Science courses. However I'm a bit worried because I don't have TEFL and my stay here is almost over. What kind of paperwork will I need for Non-B, and will the Thai immigation officer be less stringent since I already have an agreement to work between myself and a reputable vocation school? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

You will need to apply for a non-B visa in a neighbouring country. The school should know which paperwork to provide you to do this.

With your BA you should be able to get a waiver from the teaching licence, required to get a work permit from the labour office and an extension of stay from immigration.

Mario, thanks for your response.

The school is inexperienced in this realm (which is why I'm on this site), but I'm hoping with your knowledge and others on this site I can have some comfort in knowing I have everything right for immigration when I go to Laos, especially since my tourist visa is single entry.

First I am surprised there are hardly any mentions of MoE (also used search key words "Ministry" and "Ministry of Education") on this site. Strange since my understanding is a letter from them is required for the non-B in my circumstance (working for a private school).

Tromelemonde82 wrote on 11-7-2012

“I left Thailand in 2011 because the school I worked for could not provide adequate documentation for me to get a Non-B, and the embassy kept demanding a letter from the MoE, which the school did not obtain on my behalf. (I believe this was because the MoE require to see a copy of the degree certificate, but then I heard that as long as the school vouch for the teacher everything should go ahead without a hitch).”

Can anyone vouch for tromelemonde82, that as long as a school says everything is in check they will not even ask to see the official diploma or transcript?

Second, I realize I need to submit evidence of education. I can get an official transcript but as a recent graduate I will not have my official diploma for a week or two. Problem?

Third, I did a search for criminal records but nothing came up. When Im in Laos applying for my non-B my understanding is I need to submit a paper in English stating I have no criminal records. Where do I get this document?

And Lastly, the Teaching license, which, Mario, you say I am able to get a waiver based on my BA alone. Again I'm thinking they will want to see my official diploma and/or transcript.

Is there anything- such as additional requirements- that I may be missing? Any helpful hints, suggestions, etc.? Again I already have the job so Im hoping immigration officers, the council and ministry will be less stringent.

Thanks again

The school should know which paperwork to provide you to do this.

This is rarely the case with a vocational college, especially if you're the first foreigner to be employed. The poster's follow-up post corroborates this general fact. I have been down this road with a vocational college--13 times, to be exact--without success. If I had had more experience in Thailand, I would have consulted a legal firm like SunBelt Asia (TV sponsor) to help get your paperwork in order. Of course, you'll need the cooperation of your vocational college to do so.

Good luck.

A tourist visa can be converted into a 90 days non-immigrant B visa in Bangkok. Further more, letters from the Educational Service Area of The Ministry of Education are always needed but it's doubtful whether there is need for a provisional teaching permit or teacher license of The Teachers' Council of Thailand. Vocational schools fall under the OVEC and are not basic education schools.

Thank you all for your replies. Still very confused.

A couple things

this site says I need a teaching license BEFORE non-B ( but I guess I'm getting a permit without the license right?)

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

But in this document provided by the teachers council says I need to apply for the permit AFTER I get my non-B

http://www.ksp.or.th/Khurusapha/en/userfiles/file/02%20Required%20documentation.pdf

This site says I need my non-B BEFORE I apply for the work permit

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/work-permit-basics.php

but beano, you cautioned me in getting the non-B AFTER getting receipt of the work permit

then on top of all this the MoE is a terrible site and their phone number doesn't work (as with OVEC's)

The reason you see the conflicting information on the web is because what the regulations say are not necessarily what happens in real life. Part of the ambience of living/working in a developing country. The government agencies do not always mesh smoothly together to the detriment of the expat worker, in this case.

I went through the "WP before the visa / visa before the WP" hell during my first year in Thailand. I bounced between the Labor Dept. and Immigration an untold number of times before the local labor office finally took pity on me and gave me a provisional receipt which was accepted by immigration. Until then, no one would budge.

Because regulations are at the mercy of the local bureaucrats and clerks, I would check ahead at your local offices to see what they will accept in order to process the visa or WP. If that doesn't work, go to one office and try to get the other office on the phone and have them battle it out in front of you. If a decision is made, get the names of the clerks/officers, and proceed with caution and a lot of good luck. Another option is to go to the "One-stop" service centers (mentioned on immigration web site) where the Labor and Immigration people have to face each other in person to solve your problems. Bangkok's is at Chamchuree Square Building, Floor 18, Phatumwan, Bangkok.

Edited by Fookhaht

For applicant who wishes to work for the academic institute; as full or part-time teacher, tutor or teaching assistant, documents required are

1. Letter from the Ministry of Education of Thailand or other sub-authorities concerned approve the employment of foreign academic personnel.
2. employment contract
3. copy of applicant’s academic certificate / record
4. copy of police clearance or certificate of no criminal conviction.

5. copy of work permit (if previously worked)

From Vientiane embassy website: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

From reports I have read they do not ask for police certificate.

Edited by ubonjoe

Fookhaht, sorry maybe I'm missing something but why would I go to my local office? What one person says in Jomtien Beach means nothing when I'm at the mercy of a Thai immigration officer in Vientienne, right?

thanks for your help everyone.. ubonjoe don't know why i didn't see that, i went so far as trying to call vientienne but.. that.. that's very helpful and assuring to see. will be taking Fookhaht's advice right now since he seems to know the ins and outs of the system already and am leaving for the jomtien immigration office with someone who speaks english and thai. be back soon

Fookhaht, sorry maybe I'm missing something but why would I go to my local office? What one person says in Jomtien Beach means nothing when I'm at the mercy of a Thai immigration officer in Vientienne, right?

They both have phones (see one of my suggestions, although not the best one).

The other option is to first "feel out" the labor office to see what they'll do, such as provide you a provisional receipt to show that your WP is in process pending visa approval. It they will do that, then you are more than 50% there. Take that to Vientienne and try your luck.

The best solution is to do the one-stop office thing.

Hope that clarifies my post/suggestions.

Thank you all for your replies. Still very confused.

A couple things

this site says I need a teaching license BEFORE non-B ( but I guess I'm getting a permit without the license right?)

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

But in this document provided by the teachers council says I need to apply for the permit AFTER I get my non-B

http://www.ksp.or.th/Khurusapha/en/userfiles/file/02%20Required%20documentation.pdf

This site says I need my non-B BEFORE I apply for the work permit

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/work-permit-basics.php

but beano, you cautioned me in getting the non-B AFTER getting receipt of the work permit

then on top of all this the MoE is a terrible site and their phone number doesn't work (as with OVEC's)

Adenai might very well be right in that if the school fals under OVEC that no teacher license is required.

But for the Thai conulate, the paperwork is less strict as the post from Ubonjoe shows.

Yes, you need to get the non-B visa first, togehter with your degree and transcript to get a teacher licence waiver (if you need one). and getting the visa first should not be a problem.

You can apply for the work permit now, but will not get the actual work permit until you have the non-B visa.

The reason you see the conflicting information on the web is because what the regulations say are not necessarily what happens in real life. Part of the ambience of living/working in a developing country. The government agencies do not always mesh smoothly together to the detriment of the expat worker, in this case.

I went through the "WP before the visa / visa before the WP" hell during my first year in Thailand. I bounced between the Labor Dept. and Immigration an untold number of times before the local labor office finally took pity on me and gave me a provisional receipt which was accepted by immigration. Until then, no one would budge.

Because regulations are at the mercy of the local bureaucrats and clerks, I would check ahead at your local offices to see what they will accept in order to process the visa or WP. If that doesn't work, go to one office and try to get the other office on the phone and have them battle it out in front of you. If a decision is made, get the names of the clerks/officers, and proceed with caution and a lot of good luck. Another option is to go to the "One-stop" service centers (mentioned on immigration web site) where the Labor and Immigration people have to face each other in person to solve your problems. Bangkok's is at Chamchuree Square Building, Floor 18, Phatumwan, Bangkok.

The one stop service is for certain companies not for everyone/

The one stop service is for certain companies not for everyone/

Thank you for that clarification--perhaps not appropriate for our OP.

My suggestion for getting the letter from MOE is for the school to contact the provincial office in Rayong they deal with for their accreditation and other matters. They would be the office that would issue the letter not Bangkok.

The immigration office you will have to get your extension at is in Mabtaput.

Edited by ubonjoe

And don't forget apply for the WP first then using the receipt for the application you can travel to an neighbouring country and get a Non B. Without the receipt not much chance.

Kalasin Labor does not issue receipt before they see Non B, but they will for extensions with copy of new contract.

Just to further muddy the waters, I know of a teacher who has been teaching here for years, and has just been told that his three year degree is no longer acceptable and he must 'top it up', so it looks like there has been some sort of change in the degree rules. Sorry the information is second hand so no further details.