What Should I Expect From Thai Customs

Pakaty

I have read about some fustrating dealings with Thai Customs on this site so I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect. I don't mind paying a reasoable fee. In my mind anything over 500 Baht is getting unreasonable. But since its not up to me...

I'm sending a small circut board (8x8 cm) from my laptop to the manufacterer in the USA for testing/repair/replacement under warranty. What should I expect when the manufacterer shipps me back the part? I have had the laptop about 16 months. I have no clue what the value of the part is as it was included in the cost of the laptop. Does anyone with experience in this matter have any ideas?

Sent with USPS and declared as gift you won't have anything to pay.

Or send pay as warranty claim/replacement/sample at 0 USD value.

Usually no problem, sometimes they want you to go there.

Firstly send by post in both directions...DO NOT USE A COURIER such as DHL / TNT etc

Goods 'returned for service' returned under warranty and keep the value nominal say USD15

If you are lucky customs will not be involved,using a courier a broker and customs are definately involved

COURIER use only for documents

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I have any control over who the computer company choses to return the part with, but I guess it would not hurt tho ask them to use USPS. I'll use a courier service to send it though. I not worried about customs sending it to the USA, just on the way back. Besides I stumbled on a website that has customer reviews of package delivery services and Thai Post did not get a lot of good reviews.

http://www.packagetrackr.com/review/thailand-post

Thanks for the replies.

I've always found if you send a pre addressed label in a Thais name in Thai script then Bangkok,Thailand it's less likely to draw attention.customs officers do better than the police in dubious revenue streams

I'm not sure if I have any control over who the computer company choses to return the part with, but I guess it would not hurt tho ask them to use USPS. I'll use a courier service to send it though. I not worried about customs sending it to the USA, just on the way back. Besides I stumbled on a website that has customer reviews of package delivery services and Thai Post did not get a lot of good reviews.

http://www.packagetrackr.com/review/thailand-post

Thanks for the replies.

I often have various items sent from the UK by regular mail and have never had a problem and always found Thai Post excellent. Just have the sender write on the back of the parcel a description of the contents, 'Gift', 'Personal clothing' or whatever. If you use any courier service then Thai Customs automatically get involved.

Thai post have not got a letter to my house in Phetchaburi from the UK yet only bills , they say not Thailand its the UK .

It's very possible. When one parcel did not arrive as expected my niece went to the UK post office. They were still holding the parcel, without informing her, and claimed they were unable to send it. What?? She told them they were full of sh*t and get on and send it. It was duly delivered by Thai Post a few days later. Bloody YUK!

I had to RMA a EVGA SR-2 motherboard to Taiwan about 4 months ago. Sent by EMS, just wrote warranty return with zero (0) value on the outbound declaration. About 2 weeks later got the replacement mobo from EVGA in Thailand via EMS, no duty at all. Forgot what the declared value or condition was but the mobo has retail value of US$430 (down from $440 a year ago). So just send EMS and declare as RMA or warranty service with 0 value.

Bangkok must be represented by every mfgr you cant get it done here? OK, no wty but why bother, really.

They cant just fix it at Amorn or one of the droid mechanics at Pantip?

I think the above good advice, EMS value 0. Enclose a return label in Thai script.

Edited by bangkokburning

I often have various items sent from the UK by regular mail and have never had a problem and always found Thai Post excellent. Just have the sender write on the back of the parcel a description of the contents, 'Gift', 'Personal clothing' or whatever. If you use any courier service then Thai Customs automatically get involved.

In both directions, the contents should be declared on the postal form CN22, a label that gets glued to the parcel or envelope. See here for a picture of the form: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/422573-customs-forms-for-sending-parcels-from-thai-post-office/#entry4064798

I wonder me why you send it back to you home country: If you by a propper brand ( not one of the chinese etc copies) you get an international valid warranty. Therefore you can replace it free of charge (as an example HP) here in Thailand. Even if you have to buy here a new one ( again HP is the most expensive one with 1700 THB) it's still less expensive than to send it back with costs and get another one back with customs costs etc., despite of all the time waisting and hassels.

I don't want to be rude here, but are you too long in Thailand? Have you forgotten any kind of comonsence?

I don't want to be rude here, but are you too long in Thailand? Have you forgotten any kind of comonsence?

Ikarus11, are you the OPs mother? you can certainly offer suggestions to help - but your last sentence is rude - even if you do preface it with "I don't want to be rude"

Chill a little...actually...chill a lot....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@ KED Thanks for replying to Ikarus11. I was tempted to reply but since you did I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, just to follow up. I got the video card for my Sager laptop back a couple of weeks ago. Sager still put the retail value of $400 for the card on the customs declaration and sent it back USPS. I got hit for 1000 Baht on this end. Oh well, at leaste I got a new working card. It only cost me about $140 for shipping + customs.

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by Pakaty

If the staff members start putting on rubber gloves then start to worry as they as not preparing to do the washing up!!

Seriously though if you have nothing to hide then you will have no issues.

If you need to pay tax on an item then you need to pay.

As others have said, make sure that you don't use a courier - if necessary by getting the company to send this to a third party for them to post on to you. Some years ago a friend made the mistake of using DHL to send me a small PCB (a card reader measuring about 8 x 10 inches). It was some years old and the original purchase price was only about £40 (then about 2500 baht) but customs wanted 8000 baht to release it. According to DHL they were unlikely to believe my story, so I left it where it was. I have never had any problems with normal post.

P.S. See now that it is back already - not as much damage as I had but enough!

Edited by citizen33

Sent with USPS and declared as gift you won't have anything to pay.

nOOOOOO

do not use any private carriers as they always go thru customs.

have whomever from wherever send it regular airmail an there will be no problem/charge

mark it sample or gift

• Like 1