Traffic Cop Loses Face? In Car Video Camera

Satcommlee

Almost every time I've had to stop, I wind the window down. They look and wave me on. Great these non English speaking police.

Well it is Thailand. I dare say that if a Japanese tourist was pulled over in Bavaria and started nattering away in Japanese, the green uniformed chap wouldn't be as forgiving, nor would a tourist jabbering away in Portuguese stopped in west armpitville Arkansas get a friendly accomodation.

Edit to add Thai example. Interesting enough, the beardedThai onlooker blames the farang.

That vid does shows not 100% who is mistake, id say the car driver as he is pulling out on a main road but still the motorbike might have stopped faster.

• Like 2

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it's worth investing USD $2,000 in the latest technology to avoid a 200 baht fine!

Dash cams are much / much cheaper then that.

Come on robblock, don't let the facts get in the way of stupidly extreme exaggeration.....

I ordered a cam too, but had i known about the one you wanted to buy I would have gone for that one. The one i ordered was a mere 80$ (still has not arrived yet). But if it does not suffice i might go for the one you are mentioning. The only thing i hate about these cams is how to get rid of the wires so it wont obstruct your vision.

I like the one you shown more as it has gps and records your speed too. I am not worried about cops to be honest, i want one for the case that i hit and kill someone by his own stupidity and then will be forced to pay out. (mc going the wrong way on a one way lane, stupid driving ect)

so why were you speeding in the first place? sounds like you should've been fined, and that camera would've incriminated you, knowning this you still decide to act like a rude a**hole, nice job.

He wasn't being fined he was being extorted

still doesn't answer my first question, why was he speeding? jeez, maybe he should've been extorted to teach him a lesson.

Don't know why he was speeding. My experiences on Thai highways is everyone speeds, yes in an ideal world that does not mean you should speed as well. However the simple fact is that it is much safer to go with the flow of traffic then to be slower than those travelling around you.

Almost every time I've had to stop, I wind the window down. They look and wave me on. Great these non English speaking police.

Well it is Thailand. I dare say that if a Japanese tourist was pulled over in Bavaria and started nattering away in Japanese, the green uniformed chap wouldn't be as forgiving, nor would a tourist jabbering away in Portuguese stopped in west armpitville Arkansas get a friendly accomodation.

Edit to add Thai example. Interesting enough, the beardedThai onlooker blames the farang.

That vid does shows not 100% who is mistake, id say the car driver as he is pulling out on a main road but still the motorbike might have stopped faster.

Footage played without supporting software gives the impression of speeding. When played with the supporting software the same clip (not necessarily the one above as I don't think the software is available for bikes) will show speed, location, G-force etc. Mine also has a 2 year warranty.

Play it back slowly between 11 & 15 seconds & see my previous post. It looks to me like the rider was faultless and 10m short of the line when the car pulled out. If he had been speeding i'd expect to see "Eddie-the Eagle" followed by a few cartwheels & back-filps. He more or less stayed with the bike:)

Edit: To be fair the parked white Jazz @ 9 secs blocked the drivers view (how often do we see that?)

Edited by evadgib

Play it back slowly between 11 & 15 seconds & see my previous post. It looks to me like the rider was faultless and 10m short of the line when the car pulled out.

Hard question here.. i see the car already before second 10 there but if this was a main road where the bike would not have to stop the car would be at fault

I'm sure it's worth investing USD $2,000 in the latest technology to avoid a 200 baht fine!

Dash cams are much / much cheaper then that.

Come on robblock, don't let the facts get in the way of stupidly extreme exaggeration.....

I ordered a cam too, but had i known about the one you wanted to buy I would have gone for that one. The one i ordered was a mere 80$ (still has not arrived yet). But if it does not suffice i might go for the one you are mentioning. The only thing i hate about these cams is how to get rid of the wires so it wont obstruct your vision.

I like the one you shown more as it has gps and records your speed too. I am not worried about cops to be honest, i want one for the case that i hit and kill someone by his own stupidity and then will be forced to pay out. (mc going the wrong way on a one way lane, stupid driving ect)

I want a cam for the precisely the same reason you have mentioned. I'm not bothered about the little fender benders that occur from time to time. They normally sort themselves out... BUT, should someone make the fatal error of darting out in front of my car a cam would assist in any exoneration of blame...

I plan on running the cabling through the lining.. (some online websites show how) and connecting the Cam up to the battery (via a batter saver device) so that it also works in park mode. The cables can also be run to the fuse box in some cars... Best to check how best to run the cable on your car as I know that on two of my cars various safety mechanisms effect what can and what cannot be connected directly the battery and fuse box.

A lot of modern cars have reversing cameras - I'd like to see manufactures incorporating these camera's into a recording device and perhaps add a forward view cam...

Play it back slowly between 11 & 15 seconds & see my previous post. It looks to me like the rider was faultless and 10m short of the line when the car pulled out.

Hard question here.. i see the car already before second 10 there but if this was a main road where the bike would not have to stop the car would be at fault

IMO: The bike could have stopped earlier. The Bold White line across the road implies a 'mandatory' stop, but there is no presence of a stop sign. The car is clearly at fault as he is pulling out into traffic, however, the bike could have avoided the accident if he was paying more attention.

The car driver implied the bike was on the wrong side of the road !! He's just back peddling as he knows he's in the wrong and drying to divert blame. Of course the bike was on the wrong side of the road, he tried to avoid the car !

• Like 2

@richard_smith237

(this new quoting system sucks hard to remove oe and go on)

I am tempted to take a loss on the cam that i ordered, i might be able to sell it to someone or whatever. The one you showed is far more what i was thinking of but when i looked for them i could not find them. Now i have again on ebay and luck has it someone deposided some GBP in my EUR paypal account so i could go for it.

Only drawback on that version is that there is no viewing screen and you have to download it onto your phone first, wonder if you could hook it up to the garmin nuvi and use that to play it (doubt it)

From the OP...

These devices can do one of two things.

Prevent police from extracting bungs

or Make you have to travel to the police station to pay full fine.

How? Does this car video camera have gps? Does it film the speedometer?

If not, the OP only called the bluff on what was appears to be a bogus speed trap. Try that bs on a real speed trap and see how far the senior officer can throw your cam into the rice paddy.

I have one and it is purely for recording any incidents where I may be incorrectly blamed.... and posting on YouTube. It's not used for evading the law no matter how dodgy law enforcement may be.

p.s. according to the constitution, video or voice surveillance on a person without notifying them in advance is a criminal offence. Wont say how or why, but have had to look at this law very carefully for i particular issue i had to resolve once.

Indeed, but does a camera in full view pointing at the window constitute 'surveillance'?

Good question, I guess thats for the court to decide. If its a policeman bringing the charge against you, not sure who would win. My gut feeling is its a family /holiday video, not an issue, but if proven it was set up to record activities, it would be an issue.

guy feeling "intent" would be a important determinant

You reckon that was a result?

If I had been that cop, I would have been all over you like a rash, you admit to speeding, then you give them a hard time.

Lucky you're a Farang, a Thai guy would never get away with the crap that you pulled, as far as I'm concerned, think yourself lucky you never got shot, I would never have a Farang give me crap of I was a cop, I'd pull a gun on you just to see you soil your pantaloons if you gave me lip.

You'd <deleted> yourself, then give me money, guaranteed.

WAAAHHH somehow i don't think you would last very long as a ploice officer! How about enjoying the post and laughing with the OP about his recent escape from corrupt officials.

As for the fantasising about seeing someone <deleted> theirselves at the end of your imaginary gun...... well i think you need help!!!sick.gif

• Like 1

You reckon that was a result?

If I had been that cop, I would have been all over you like a rash, you admit to speeding, then you give them a hard time.

Lucky you're a Farang, a Thai guy would never get away with the crap that you pulled, as far as I'm concerned, think yourself lucky you never got shot, I would never have a Farang give me crap of I was a cop, I'd pull a gun on you just to see you soil your pantaloons if you gave me lip.

You'd <deleted> yourself, then give me money, guaranteed.

WAAAHHH somehow i don't think you would last very long as a ploice officer! How about enjoying the post and laughing with the OP about his recent escape from corrupt officials.

As for the fantasising about seeing someone <deleted> theirselves at the end of your imaginary gun...... well i think you need help!!!sick.gif

No I think the post is correct, I think about 50 Farang's are summarily executed by deranged and Psychotic Traffic Cops on a daily basis, I am indeed very lucky!! clap2.gif

The dash board cam was just a 2500 baht special from Pantip with a wide angle lens.

Only one "high and mighty" today condemning me for speeding, happy with that..

The whole point is that this was an EXTORTION checkpoint not a proper speed trap.. It is safe to say every car was speeding, but closing down to one lane creates a pinch point where they can pick out their victims.

I saw what seemed to be something like Pineapples being picked off the back of one truck by the police in lieu of payment.

The whole point is within seconds of being shown the camera, he was gone like a shot, didn't want to know.

@Nanlaew #43:

Does this car video camera have gps? Does it film the speedometer?

Mine has GPS. The speed is shown digitally when viewed on a computer through the supporting software.

Edited by evadgib

Footage played without supporting software gives the impression of speeding. When played with the supporting software the same clip (not necessarily the one above as I don't think the software is available for bikes) will show speed, location, G-force etc. Mine also has a 2 year warranty.

Aren't those traffic lights above the junction? If they are, why would the driver exit if they were at red for him?

Aren't those traffic lights above the junction? If they are, why would the driver exit if they were at red for him?

It looks like the traffic lights are not in operation. Also there are no stop signs or give-way signs and only white lines at the junction so it's very much up to the motorcyclist to slow the <deleted> down. Most experienced Thai motorcyclists would have understood that car drivers are unlikely to give way, braked hard, and shot through on the left, behind the car. This guy decided to 'shoot the gap' the wrong way, nailed the car on the wrong side of the street and hence is totally f*cked.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Try 900 Baht for a cheap dash-cam (1749B, yep $55 bucks for a pretty good one) to save you getting extorted $2000 if you have some BS incident more like it.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

getting smart with a Thai cop not a good idea... can't remember the detail but recall bits of a story from a few years back, someone did a similar thing making the cop look like a complete turkey in public. The resulting massive loss of face made the cop snap.. he pulled out his gun & shot the 'smart a$$' dead, then promptly turned it on himself and pulled the trigger.

At least the cop got it half right

And I like that half mak mak...

+1 on the dashcam, not necessarily for hacking off the rozzers (although it does seem to make them more amenable to letting you go) but as an independent witness when you have a shunt.

Mine is a really expensive (< $100) 2 camera HD jobbie, looks straight at the copper when he leans in the window smile.png

As a bonus you can capture the Thai driving moments for your Youtube channel smile.png

Let us have a brand name and where to buy info pls, I am getting rather bored with the Thai drivers antics,last week a bike hit me smashed a tail light then told us it was "already broken" before he hit us.

He didnt get away with it but its just the bleeding lies and time wasted

I have this one http://www.pandawill.com/27-tft-screen-hd-double-lens-true-dual-1080p-driving-recorder-dvr-p64435.html although I didn't get it from Pandawill I bought it in Singapore (Simlim Tower IIRC).

sku36217_1_1.jpgsku36217_3.jpg

I have used Pandawill in the past with no issues so you can order from them with confidence (cheap Chinese stuff mind). Make sure you set up an account before ordering as it makes tracking your order easier.

EDIT Never had to pay any duty on stuff from them either (famous last words I know).

Thanking U

In the video, the motorcyclist is wrong. He was riding a little too fast, he failed to stop at the white line, and he was in the wrong lane( swung to the right)at the time of impact.

Ermmmmmmm he doesnt have to stop because if you notice its a junction with traffic lights ( overhead) which Im assuming were on GREEN for the bike.

Interesting how the instant reaction is to check the damage on the car - not one person seemed to care whether the rider was ok or not.

• Like 1

As an American, who owned a car for about 40 years straight, stories like these just give me one more reason why I am happy not to own a car in Thailand. I rent a car with a driver on the few occasions where one was a necessity.

You do realise a lot of these stories are either exaggerated, half complete, biased, gives one side only and often related to us all with a few facts missing.

Here's my side: I have owned and driven a car here for over 5 years now. 2 minor accidents, both of which were taken care of amicably without the wicked natives ganging up and handled by insurance guys. Never had a problem with police. Been stopped twice but no scary demands for a bribe.

Ditto my Swiss neighbour, my Aussie friend, my other Austrian neighbour. A couple other friends had paid bribes before, admittedly they were speeding or did something wrong. Generally, if you abide by the law, life is rather boring.

Edited by doggie888888

As an American, who owned a car for about 40 years straight, stories like these just give me one more reason why I am happy not to own a car in Thailand. I rent a car with a driver on the few occasions where one was a necessity.

You do realise a lot of these stories are either exaggerated, half complete, biased, gives one side only and often related to us all with a few facts missing.

Here's my side: I have owned and driven a car here for over 5 years now. 2 minor accidents, both of which were taken care of amicably without the wicked natives ganging up and handled by insurance guys. Never had a problem with police. Been stopped twice but no scary demands for a bribe.

Ditto my Swiss neighbour, my Aussie friend, my other Austrian neighbour. A couple other friends had paid bribes before, admittedly they were speeding or did something wrong. Generally, if you abide by the law, life is rather boring.

I drive and own a car too, but those stories for compensation are not just stories they happen and its not farang on Thai its also Thai on Thai. Having a camera makes it easier. I only worry about death of someone other then that i got first class insurance and they take care of it.

I bought one(Video Camera) on special offer from Tukcom ฿ 800 ... and after only 7 months it's paid for itself....

When I get stopped now I just point at the camera them turn it to look at the Police Officer who has stopped me and without exception I get waved on and never asked for any tea money...

A very good investment in my humble opinion

Edited by banglay

Interesting how the instant reaction is to check the damage on the car - not one person seemed to care whether the rider was ok or not.

Well the bike rider never hit the dirt, looked around, manhandled his bent bike onto the kerb so what do you think?

In the video, the motorcyclist is wrong. He was riding a little too fast, he failed to stop at the white line, and he was in the wrong lane( swung to the right)at the time of impact.

Ermmmmmmm he doesnt have to stop because if you notice its a junction with traffic lights ( overhead) which Im assuming were on GREEN for the bike.

Play the video on full screen and use the pause button. The traffic lights are not in use; no lights showing at all for the m'cycle drivers point of view. SUV pulled out, probably partly sighted due to the parked white car but typically, once they start rolling, they don't think to stop. Same when they turn from a side street to 'merge' with traffic flow. They never consider that some cars will need to brake heavily and that maybe all 2 or 3 lanes are full. When I approach any junctions, with lights or otherwise of see any traffic merging, even when I have right of way, I lift my foot off the gas. That way when they do something really silly, it makes for a much shorter braking experience. Thai-style driving indicates that it is better to accelerate into areas of risk or doubt and hope to get through it... aided with horn, lights and tightly closed eyes!