Ok..this Is Not A Troll Thread.."farang Women"..

eek

This thread will likely end up closed due to posters inability to discuss something without resorting to some ridiculous nastiness.. but heres giving it a try anyway...

I of course realise the term "Farang" is in regard to Caucasian/westerners..but seeing as the term "farang woman" gets chucked about in this forum, i would like to ask what nationalities men here are actually referring to...?

Personally i cannot see how women from European, Latin, American, British, etc backgrounds..can or should all be grouped together as representative of each other.(I am guessing Latin would not come under "western", but just a moot point, no?)

I of course find it insulting that "farang woman" should be somehow a derogatory term. But more than that, i also find it strange, for just because i am Caucasian i am thus meant to be the same as every other woman of the same skin tone..?

So what exactly in your minds is "farang woman" and what does that represent and why (for some) does it equal such negative associations. (PLEASE can we try to discuss this in a way that doesnt resort to base Neanderthal style remarks! )...

• Like 1

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If my gf used the term she would be referring to non thai women of caucasian appearance but this could include South Americans but definitely not other Asians, Africans, Indians or obviously middle eastern - same reference for men.

In my mind that is her diefintion but I would not personally normally use that terminology although it has no negative connotations/association for me.

Well many of the members seem to think all 30 million plus Thai women are the same so why not all Western women too? Heck lets just make it every woman in the world is exactly the same! Makes it easier then wink.png

Life would be very boring - and TV not worth reading........biggrin.png

I don't find the term Farang,derogatory, it is used as you said to describe Caucasian people,this would exclude Latino,generally used,as the Thai speaker doesn't know your country of origin.

This is similar to how I would use Asian,for someone from say, Korea China,the Philippines,etc,

As I don't know the country of origin,this also isn't a derogotary term,in general use.

As in,I saw a group of Asians.

Just my view,on what will probably be a well debated post.

• Like 1

Well many of the members seem to think all 30 million plus Thai women are the same so why not all Western women too? Heck lets just make it every woman in the world is exactly the same! Makes it easier then wink.png

Life would be very boring - and TV not worth reading........biggrin.png

Lets not be too hasty here. Make all women the same - I would want to know are we talking heyday Halle Berry, or Roseanne Barr?

For me the term, as l read it, means a lady not from LOS. Not sure if neighbouring countries use the farang word so for me it's any lady outside LOS. Also for me it doesn't mean anything derogatory. smile.png

That is pretty much how I believe. I frankly don't care what other people think. If they think negative thoughts then that is THEIR problem, not mine. I couldn't be any more white if I tried. Red hair almost always comes with freckled white skin, but I wouldn't like to be lumped in with every other red head.

However, how people act and what they believe in are as diverse as it's possible to be. You can't lump everyone into the same basket and say that is how everyone is. Even the bar girls in Thailand get a bum rap, and that old saying "you can take the girl out of the bar but not the bar out of the girl" is only true for a percentage of the women in that trade.

FWIW, Thais have individual names for the citizens of all of the countries around them - obviously, Europeans were late to the party. I know at least one black man who isnt offended by 'chocolat man', but I expect that there are others who aren't so thrilled. Exactly what the Thais make of someone who looks Asian but speaks Russian with a thick 'masculine' accent is anyone's guess, but I'm still trying to work those folk out for myself.

By 'eck, our eek has combined the frequent-flamer subjects of the word 'farang' and 'women' in a single thread.

I think that in most instances when I have seen the term 'farang women' used on TV, it may not be always derogatory but it is in a generally negative context, especially in the guerilla warfare zone of the General sub forum. Such as the bitter & twisted farang man talking about the ex- wife from his homeland (or Pattaya) or the erstwhile farang sexpest discussing some visually unappealing female tourist, latterly Russian, seen shopping in Paragon (or Pattaya).

Taken on their own, the word farang does appear to upset a minority who consider it (misguidedly IMHO) the equivalent of 'the n word'. Of course the term 'women' is pretty benign in itself but then again, there may be some women who get all riled up about the word 'men', probably for similar reasons as the guys mentioned earlier get riled up about women. The term farang in this regard just narrows a pretty broad demographic.

There may be a whole demographic of Thai womanhood that use the term 'farang men' in a less than flattering manner... but that's not what the OP is pondering.

• Like 1

The kind of person who posts in a derogatory term and uses 'farang woman' in some attempt to cement his point is hardly worth paying attention to.... That sort of poster has already identified himself an uneducated biggot.

For me, rightly or wrongly when I read or hear the word Farang I think Western, regardless of whether its Women or Men being referred to.

Women or Men from South America would be Latin... However, Thais are notoriously geographically clumsy and lazy when refering to non-Thai's.... some posters attempt to mirror this.

• Like 1

I of course find it insulting that "farang woman" should be somehow a
derogatory term. But more than that, i also find it strange, for just
because i am Caucasian i am thus meant to be the same as every other
woman of the same skin tone..?

As 'farang' is a derogatory label for white people, therefore 'farang women' must be a derogatory label for white women.

Mexicans, Latino, African Americans, etc are not included in this grouping ........ farang is an insult that only applies to one skin colour and one ethnic background.

I have no personal preferences for relationships with a person dictated by their skin colour or their sex, young and cute does it for me (male or female)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I think the farang bit can refer to anyone who is not Asian. A male friend of mine from the UK of Scottish/East African descent was referred to as a chocolate farang.

Don't think there is any malice in that....just a categorization from a Thai.

As to running down all farang women by some posters....this is due to bitter personal experience I reckon.

That is one thing but they have forgotten that while it is good to learn from your mistakes, it is also even more important to let go and move on with a positive attitude.

Am I missing something here?

For me, Farang is a general term that does not offend me and it usually points to the male gender. When I see (or hear) "Farang Women", I just see it as distinguishing the fact that it is being female specific.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I of course find it insulting that "farang woman" should be somehow a

derogatory term. But more than that, i also find it strange, for just

because i am Caucasian i am thus meant to be the same as every other

woman of the same skin tone..?

As 'farang' is a derogatory label for white people, therefore 'farang women' must be a derogatory label for white women.

Mexicans, Latino, African Americans, etc are not included in this grouping ........ farang is an insult that only applies to one skin colour and one ethnic background.

I have no personal preferences for relationships with a person dictated by their skin colour or their sex, young and cute does it for me (male or female)

It has nothing to do with skin color, its facial features.

To TommoPhysicist ... mate, your theory is well know on the various merits of the term farang.

Just for once, can you give it a wee rest and let the OP explore her question in it's entirety.

I'm happy to buy you a beer ... drunk.gif and let you chew my ear off about the various merits of your argument ... but for this post, can eek have her time in the sun?

To TommoPhysicist ... mate, your theory is well know on the various merits of the term farang.

MissFarmGirl who is Thai, appears (essentially) to agree with me.

How can you 'like' her post, yet disagree with me?

Just wondering?

farang woman

white skin

blond hair

big boobie

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Nice replies guys, thanks.

Sorry if my opening post was a bit harsh sounding, was feeling a bit defensive due to the (usually negative) generalities of the term "farang woman".

I specifically mean in this forum (and men who use it as a negative), not the word "farang" in itself.

The term "farang" itself doesnt offend me, only how it is used/implied.

^^ Easily TommoPhysicist ... I don't find them mutually exclusive opinions.

I read MissFarmGirl's post as positive and slightly envious in tone and intent.

I maintain that the term 'Farang' as used by Thais as purely a descriptive term, with no hint of a derogatory nature.

But please ... let's agree to disagree and not remove the focus of what eek asks ... OK?

What sort of beer do you like?

• Like 1

Hey eek ... as an enabler further into your question.

Do you imply Farang woman 'in general' (globally)?

Or Farang women in Thailand.

BTW ... I bet we can make to at least of the end of the 2nd page with proper tone and respect!

After that ... I'm not so confident ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Most people use farang to describe caucasians. I don't see why the word "woman" or "man" has any bearing.

Thais generally use farang as a simple descriptive term, but it can also be used in a derogatory fashion depending on context.

As George Carlin said, they are only words.

FWIW, Thais have individual names for the citizens of all of the countries around them - obviously, Europeans were late to the party. I know at least one black man who isnt offended by 'chocolat man', but I expect that there are others who aren't so thrilled. Exactly what the Thais make of someone who looks Asian but speaks Russian with a thick 'masculine' accent is anyone's guess, but I'm still trying to work those folk out for myself.

I still can't help but chuckle when some Thai women use the term "chocolate man". Not offensive at all.

I still can't help but chuckle when some Thai women use the term "chocolate man". Not offensive at all.

may be offensive If your the chocolate man in question.