5 Year Driving Licence Renewal - Info Please

Went with a colleague once who was worried that his med from BNH said he was slightly colour blind - had problems telling red from green. The DTL tested our eyesight and confirmed that my friend was colour blind. He thought that was the end of the story but they just told him to queue up at the counter to proceed with the application and he got his licence. Not sure why they bother with the eye exam. Now he has an all of life licence same as me.

How do you get, an all of life licence?

Years back that was the norm,you got issued with a life time licence.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would one get a license renewed if on student visa?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i am not 100 per cent sure.

but should maybe go to imigration to make sure that you dod or do not need a document for driving lisence re newal

you shall need a mediucal certificate. ( common mistake that even the thais make which means that you have to go all the way home and apply the next day )

your old lisence and i think about 500 baht.

immigration i am not too shore which is why if i was you i would go there first.

i think u have to be in the driving lisence office at 0800 hrs.

Some of these things you may nnot have to do but if you dont know then best to do them could save you time in the long run.

you dont want to go down to lipa noi then they tell you to go to immigration then that is a whole day waisted.

important thing is medical certifacate can get one at any clinic tell them it is for driving license and they shall know.

they take the photos of you inside the office. oh and bring your passport as your passport number shall be printed on the driving license.

passport

medical certifate

possible a visit to imigration before hand

take old license

500 baht

be there at 0800 hrs ( check it is not a government holiday before hand )

Rob Samui is your uncle !tongue.png

you shall need a mediucal certificate. ( common mistake that even the thais make which means that you have to go all the way home and apply the next day )

When I renewed last year they gave it back, "no need".

When I renewed last year they gave it back, "no need".

They checked mine and took them a couple of days ago

Is there any problem renewing them after they expire? I will be away at work when mine expire. Is it possible to do it before they expire?

i think you should have less problems if you try to re new before it expires than after i do not know if there is a minimum amount of time before you can renew.

cant do any harm to check before you go.

Is there any problem renewing them after they expire? I will be away at work when mine expire. Is it possible to do it before they expire?

I renewed mine one month before it expired...no idea if there is a time limit on an expired licence tho

I renewed mine one month before it expired...no idea if there is a time limit on an expired licence tho

I think 12 months.

Somewhere in HERE.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just had to renew my two five year licences (bike & car) so thought I’d update this thread with what’s going on now. My licences didn’t expire until July but thought I’d get it out of the way now just in case I have to go off to work soon.

Paperwork required (for bike & car)

• Collected two papers from Immigration for proof of address (Bht250 each...yep, no idea why...handsome man?...no thought not)
  • Went to local clinic in Hua Thanon and got medical paper (Bht150)...then photocopied it so I had two.
  • Photocopies of passport, one of the ID page and one of the visa (two copies of each)
  • Passport
  • Old licences

Turn up at transport licensing office at 8:30am in long trousers.

Take a number (hanging between desk #1 and #2)

Hand over all paperwork when your numbers called.

Told to go upstairs at 10am and wait until called

Called in at about 10:30am

1st Check – traffic lights...say red, green or yellow (not orange or amber whistling.gif ) when each one comes on

2nd Check – Depth of vision...line up two bars by pressing buttons #1 or #2 (RH one is fixed, LH moves)

3rd Check – Peripheral vision...red, green and yellow lights at the side.

Reaction test is broken so not done...also didn’t have to watch any video

Sign paperwork and go downstairs to desk #2 and hand over paperwork

When called go back to desk #2 and pay

Sit back down and wait to be called to have photo taken...once photo taken wait a few minutes for new licences to be printed...done thumbsup.gif

Got out of there at 11:00am wai.gif

Sounds about right , anything new ? I am going this week and hope to go from 1yr to 5yr ..

Just spent an hour looking through all the posts on renewing driving licences - and couldn't find anything relating to extending a 5-year licence, only a 1-year one!

I'm going to take the following (below) but do I need to do any tests, too?

Do I need a doctor's certificate to renew a 5-year licence? Opinion varies here - whats the requirement on Samui?

Thanks in anticipation,

R

35]1. Passport – Original

35]2. Photo Copies of passport. Front page. Last entry page.

Non-Immigrant Visa page

35] Work Permit, original and photo copy

4. Medical Certificate – Original,

35](Doctors report for driver’s license 5 diseases form)

5. Expired Thai Drivers License.

Before you renew your license you must take:

Eye Exam, Reaction Test and 1 hour Training Course

Yes docs cert required you cannot renew till it has expired so do not go until it has gone passed its expiry otherwise you will waste a journey do not forget letter from immigration to confirm your address they will take photo at the office !!!!!!

Sounds about right , anything new ? I am going this week and hope to go from 1yr to 5yr ..

Happy Birthday.

ngbbs41ca2db56fd2d.jpg

Immigrations charges 500 baht for the certificate, one or two for the same price.

When I renewed last month no Medical exam was needed, but I renewed from 5 year to another 5 year.

Be there before 10 AM.

Go after your birthday and receive 6 years instead of 5 years.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday.

ngbbs41ca2db56fd2d.jpg

Immigrations charges 500 baht for the certificate, one or two for the same price.

When I renewed last month no Medical exam was needed, but I renewed from 5 year to another 5 year.

Be there before 10 AM.

Thanks smile.png

Yes docs cert required you cannot renew till it has expired so do not go until it has gone passed its expiry otherwise you will waste a journey do not forget letter from immigration to confirm your address they will take photo at the office !!!!!!

I renewed mine a month in advance...not a problem wink.png

I renewed my licenses (car and motorcycle) about 5 months ago. I went in a week or so before they expired. I needed the following:

Passport

Work permit

Medical certificate

Old licenses

Giant stack of photocopies (2 of everything since I was getting 2 licenses, and a copy of the medical certificate)

Money

No letter from immigration needed if you have a work permit.

I did have to take the eyesight/reflex tests.

No video, no class, no written or skill tests.

This was in Bangkok, sounds like maybe the rules on the eyesight tests could be enforced differently from place to place?

Thanks for the update Andrew.

Unfortunately the rules seem to 'change' the further away from Bangkok that you get. (I think that it is more a case of interpretation rather than tomfoolery.)

I tried to renew my licence one day before it was due. It was due on the Saturday - the office being closed on that day, I thought that Friday should be OK. Nah. She said to come back on Monday. When I pointed out that I would be driving on an out of date licence - she laughed and said "Monday".

Does somebody know...?

my 5 year license expires in April next year, (at this time i am not in Thailand)

is it possible to go the department in August(with the expired license) and renew it then?

Do i get again a 5 year, or must I start again as a Newbie??

Happy Birthday.

ngbbs41ca2db56fd2d.jpg

Be there before 10 AM.

Thanks smile.png

Went from 1 Yr to 5 Yr ( in fact 5 Years and about 5 months to next birth date )

Documents

old license , expired yesterday

proof of address ( if no WP then letter from immigration - 1 passport photo plus 500 Baht needed )

doctor certificate ( surgery Nathon opposite Kasikorn Bank , 150 Baht )

Passport plus 1 copy main , 1 copy visa page

Arrive around 8.30 ...Dress Smart

wait til 10.00 for 3 eye tests , pay about 650 Baht they then take your photo and process finish about 1030

• Like 2

Just had to renew my two five year licences (bike & car) so thought I’d update this thread with what’s going on now. My licences didn’t expire until July but thought I’d get it out of the way now just in case I have to go off to work soon.

• Collected two papers from Immigration for proof of address (Bht250 each...yep, no idea why...handsome man?...no thought not)
  • Went to local clinic in Hua Thanon and got medical paper (Bht150)...then photocopied it so I had two.
  • Photocopies of passport, one of the ID page and one of the visa (two copies of each)
  • Passport
  • Old licences

1st Check – traffic lights...say red, green or yellow (not orange or amber whistling.gif ) when each one comes on

2nd Check – Depth of vision...line up two bars by pressing buttons #1 or #2 (RH one is fixed, LH moves)

Sit back down and wait to be called to have photo taken...once photo taken wait a few minutes for new licences to be printed...done thumbsup.gif

Just back from renewing my 5 year licence having followed Neilly's advice.

Good stuff Neilly - it works. Thank you. clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

Only difference, I used my work permit instead of Immigration letter.

If you use a WP - copy 3 pages.

The page with the photo

The page with the address of place of work

The page with the latest expiry date

I did not need the letter from the doctor - waste of money. (Possibly because I was using a WP?) whistling.gif

I just needed the WP and one copy

Passport and one copy

Old licence

Out before 11 am (then got stopped at a spot check in nathon! wai.gif )

• Like 1

• Passport
  • Old licences

Just back from renewing my 5 year licence having followed Neilly's advice.

Good stuff Neilly - it works. Thank you. clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

Only difference, I used my work permit instead of Immigration letter.

If you use a WP - copy 3 pages.

The page with the photo

The page with the address of place of work

The page with the latest expiry date

I did not need the letter from the doctor - waste of money. (Possibly because I was using a WP?) whistling.gif

I just needed the WP and one copy

Passport and one copy

Old licence

Out before 11 am (then got stopped at a spot check in nathon! wai.gif )

Just to note ...I did need the Dr's letter ... and for 150 baht better to be safe ..

Last year for my 1 Yr I used my WP as proof of address and was sent away to get a Dr's letter

So perhaps you just look too healthy tongue.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...