Hitler Fashion Statements Confuse, Offend Tourists In Thailand

webfact

Hitler fashion statements confuse, offend tourists in Thailand
By Lindsay Jolivet

"Great Hitler T-Shirt, you look so cute!"

BANGKOK: -- Wait, what? Cute may not be a word anyone ever expected to hear associated with Adolf Hitler but a fashion trend in Thailand has muddled history, turning Hitler into a style icon, according to CNN.

Tourists and anyone with the most remote sense of history are baffled at a trend among youth in Bangkok to sport T-shirts that depict Adolf Hitler as Ronald McDonald, a cartoonish panda or a Teletubby.

Outside one of the stores that sell these Nazi-branded goods sometimes stand dummies with mustaches that resemble the Nazi Führer's. CNN even posted an image of a McHitler donation box for Thailand flood relief.

One of the owners tried to justify the merchandise by saying simply that Hitler looks funny and young people like the shirts.

Full story: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/hitler-fashion-statements-confuse-offend-tourists-thailand-160709484.html

-- YAHOO! NEWS 2013-03-09

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you expect from a country full of over 60 million people who don't know that a world exists beyond their borders and who generally despise non-Thais? Nothing new here for those of us who live here. Let the 2 week tourists be surprised. coffee1.gif

Over 60 million people were killled during WWII; in 1939 Thailand had a population of 15,023,000..............

• Like 2

Again

Is there a requirement for a Hitler/Nazi/Swastika thread every few weeks?

Is this 'news' - from 'daily buzz on twitter'

That video a year old, does it add anything to this forum?

How about:

Bangkok's 'Hitler Chic' Trend Riles Tourists, Israeli Envoy

and just a few weeks ago

Whats Up With The Locals Admiration For Hitler?!

My suggestion: close it, same posters with same posts . . .

Mods most likely will close this thread when, like the two you mentioned above, it degenerates into ugly racist slurs.

The ones using images of Teletubbies and Ronald McDonald and other copyrighted images are easy to sort out as unless the owners have given permission for their use it's theft. This seems relevant.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/620088-thailand-awaits-good-news-on-u-s-priority-watch-list-removal/?hl=%2Bcopyright#entry6126508

There are problems with the swastika as it has other connections but Hitler doesn't although it's not uncommon for him to be used as a figure of fun in the west. The most important thing is for Thais to be educated as to the history behind Hitler and the Nazis. That's the lesson that needs to be learned.

I won't be surprised if I see a report on here about a big increase in Jewish tourists despite this.

I don't get it.

McDonald's I am sure would have a word to say about that film.

My question was it a one day affair? Or was it a set up?

Or perhaps it was ligitament. Who knows. For sure the kids don't even know who or what Hitler is much less what he did..

Please, not this thread again.

Thais don't get it. They think they have the right to offend everyone in Thailand, and that no one can offended them

toilet seats with a buddha image printed on it

https://www.google.co.th/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=toilet+seat+buddha&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43287494,d.bmk&biw=1600&bih=775&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=Wp86UZDbCsSZiAf0w4DQBg

• Like 2

Go to You Tube for instance, type Hitler into the search pane. The choice of parodies is enormous, or what about Hitler raps, or parading with Darth Fader, Hitler Gang Nam style or disco Hitler or.... or...or..

In Thailand it is due to not being educated so I read, so what is it called in the wonderful countries which claim to have a much better education?? Please don't tell me all of these you tube movies and other stuff on the web about Hitler out of it`s original context was uploaded by just Thai.

that battle between vader and H is pretty cool

Go to You Tube for instance, type Hitler into the search pane. The choice of parodies is enormous, or what about Hitler raps, or parading with Darth Fader, Hitler Gang Nam style or disco Hitler or.... or...or..

In Thailand it is due to not being educated so I read, so what is it called in the wonderful countries which claim to have a much better education?? Please don't tell me all of these you tube movies and other stuff on the web about Hitler out of it`s original context was uploaded by just Thai.

I think what people mean by thais not being educated is that If you ask a thai who hitler was or what he did there would be very few who could tell you. Sure they may know his face on a fashion garment but that is probably the extent. In the west I would say the majority of people would be the opposite.

• Like 1