Hitler Fashion Statements Confuse, Offend Tourists In Thailand

webfact

Just to note the automated mannequin was removed not long after this video/complaint was made. The shop is in Terminal 21.

As to the concept that lack of knowledge [and respect for the realities] of WWII is somehow cultural is, at best sophistry.

After all Thailand was occupied and equally was to become a full component of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere which translates to all resources [human, as well as material] were to be at the disposal and control of the Emperor.

But guess no one told any Thai citizen that in history lessons either.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

attachicon.gifthak1.jpegattachicon.gifthak2.jpgattachicon.gifthak3.jpg

There will always be people who are offended by someone else's image. I'm sure Bin Laden, Saddam, Mugabe, Pol Pot, even GWB to some, all had the same emotional effect.

Remember the past but let the Thais have their little Hitler/swastika fashion statements without getting all riled up. (again) .Ignorance is bliss.

I'm sure our Great Leader Thaksin doesn't lose sleep at night because of the above pictures.

Eine kleine sturm im teetasse.

I thought Yingluk was P.M when did she get thrown out?

Make a Stalin Ronald Mcdonald or a Mao Teletubby and you would not here a peep from anyone yet they both killed far more than Hitler.

Hypocrites.

Just goes to show the effectivness of the brainwashing in the West where the sight of a swastika is enough to provoke a reaction without a thought ever passing through the person's head.

It is offensive but did they teach about Hitler in the high school history books here? You can hardly blame them when they don't know what they're wearing is offensive to most Europeans.

My Thai stepson went to an Australian government school a few years back until he was 18, the only subjects about WW11 that he was taught at school was ANZAC Day and the Kokoda Trail. No learning whatsoever of the crimes committed by the Nazis or other aspects of WW11. In fact very little history or geography, other than topics related to Australia.

Edited by simple1

That would freak me out, if Thais were telling me I looked like Hitler. When I first started coming here some Thais were telling me I looked like Mr. Bean. I don't look like Mr. Bean or Hitler but there's no telling how Thais see white people.

attachicon.gifhitlerbean.jpg

The old saying, "Farangs they all look the same to me"

Is it too early in this thread to put up the "swastika is an ancient Buddhist / Hindu symbol" defense? rolleyes.gif

If you're gonna do that at least get it right. The Swastika dates back millenia... long before Buddhism or Hinduism....

Lol, Hindu is over 5,000 years old. Lot longer than a millenia

Make a Stalin Ronald Mcdonald or a Mao Teletubby and you would not here a peep from anyone yet they both killed far more than Hitler.

Hypocrites.

Just goes to show the effectivness of the brainwashing in the West where the sight of a swastika is enough to provoke a reaction without a thought ever passing through the person's head.

Vienna built a Che Guevara Monument...no one has a problem with it....

Hitler did genocide using industrialized technology. That was a new kind of evil in the world.

But yes, dead is dead.

The political rehabilitation of Stalin and Mao is not nice.

Pol Pot tried the same, just he killed the smart one so no way to industrialize it.

I can't see the major difference if you murder millions industrialized or old fashion. Dead is dead and evil is evil.

• Like 1

Oh, the hitler thread again. Whoopee. All we need now is a thread full of raging farang complaining about being called farang and our day will be complete.

Yesterday a couple of Thai kids laughed as I went past them and when I asked them why they laughed they replied because you are farang that looks like Hitler. House is on the market, car on the market and I'm leaving and going back to UK.

Well, you gave it your best shot, I would guess stayed here for some time, and in the long run it is not working for you. That is fair. If living in Thailand is no longer improving the quality of each day, why be here? For me, I still love the place. I figure I have to put up with alot of nonsense here. But, by my reckoning, still far less than in the US, which is simply not a pleasant place to live at this point in time. Good fortune to you.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's called sarca ah forget it

The perennial problem on here. Is the poster being sarcastic or just stupid. I love sarcasm but I get caught out too sometimes. Maybe you should by a bunker.

No, I was being quite serious. I think since the universe is in a constant state of flux, most things within it are too. So, change is a healthy thing. If it is not working for you, try something else. I actually am applauding you for your initiative. And I do not need a bunker. Have some land up north. LOL.

Who says tourists are offended. Load of PC rubbish. I saw a guy in a pub once dressed as Hitler as fancy dress. Bunch of Americans were agast and tried to engage in a very long conversion about the political correctness of it. Two Israeli tourists where laughing and having picture taken with him!

Some people just like to complain. Even when it has nothing to do with them directly or anyone else they know.

Isn't it called the Streisand Effect?

a Stalin Ronald Mcdonald or a Mao Teletubby

Coool! Where can we get them in Terminal 21?? Are they available in matching colours? I'll look well dench having one of them.

Edited by Morakot

This "news" gets recycled every month. Even the youtube video is almost a year old. You can comment again next month when you see the same article here again. And the month after. Hitler's no different from Stalin, Lenin, etc, and people in the West don't see anything wrong with wearing those t-shirts. Double standards all around.

Who says tourists are offended. Load of PC rubbish. I saw a guy in a pub once dressed as Hitler as fancy dress. Bunch of Americans were agast and tried to engage in a very long conversion about the political correctness of it. Two Israeli tourists where laughing and having picture taken with him!

Some people just like to complain. Even when it has nothing to do with them directly or anyone else they know.

Isn't it called the Streisand Effect?

I think you are right. The Thais and a lot of tourists to Thailand were on Hitler's side during the war.

Is it too early in this thread to put up the "swastika is an ancient Buddhist / Hindu symbol" defense? rolleyes.gif

If you're gonna do that at least get it right. The Swastika dates back millenia... long before Buddhism or Hinduism....

Lol, Hindu is over 5,000 years old. Lot longer than a millenia

I didn't say a millenia (which in any case, would be 'a millenium'). Millenia is plural. At around 10,000BC (earliest found, to date) puts it another 5,000 years older than Hinduism - hence 'long before'.

• Like 2

Oh, the hitler thread again. Whoopee. All we need now is a thread full of raging farang complaining about being called farang and our day will be complete.

I think Hitler would have been extremely angry if he was called a farang. Disgusting.

• Like 2

There will always be people who are offended by someone else's image. I'm sure Bin Laden, Saddam, Mugabe, Pol Pot, even GWB to some, all had the same emotional effect.

Remember the past but let the Thais have their little Hitler/swastika fashion statements without getting all riled up. (again) .Ignorance is bliss.

I'm sure our Great Leader Thaksin doesn't lose sleep at night because of the above pictures.

Did I mention P.M.? I don't think so.

Oh so the Hitler stuff has only occurred in Thailand since Thaksin's family has been in power. I didn't know that.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Oh so the Hitler stuff has only occurred in Thailand since The Thaksin family has been in power. I didn't know that.

Read my post again. I don't think the Shinawats give a damn, but the Hitler thing goes on regardless of who is in power.

Oh so the Hitler stuff has only occurred in Thailand since The Thaksin family has been in power. I didn't know that.

Read my post again. I don't think the Shinawats give a damn, but the Hitler thing goes on regardless of who is in power.

So if it goes on regardless of who is in power what is the point of mentioning Thaksin? And in the interest of accuracy you did not say Shinawats you only mentioned Thaksin

Edited by chiangmaikelly

What do you expect from a country full of over 60 million people who don't know that a world exists beyond their borders and who generally despise non-Thais? Nothing new here for those of us who live here. Let the 2 week tourists be surprised. coffee1.gif

Think you should amend your post to "live here with ethnocentric blinders on." Obvious you don't watch Thai TV or listen to KPop on Thai radio. I suppose all those foreign movies are watched by expats only. And I suppose all the TV and Movie actors are not half European white decent. They don't despise non Thais. Where do you think the past two leaders of Thailand were educated? Does Thailand try to copy Fords? Nope. They ask Ford to make cars in Thailand. Thais know Western or Chinese technology is superior and have you ever seen a group of Thai women around a new half Caucasian baby? Wake up!!!

Yes, Thais will happily take foreign money and ideas, but most would rather the people stay in their respective countries outside of Thailand. Ethnocentric blinders? Have you not experienced the immigration, land ownership or protection under law policies that are grossly and obviously deficient and often discriminatory with respect to foreigners? Anyone with any real interest here (business, family, etc) knows the deal.

As for 'Americans', anyway, these guys have the Americans being some of the best, most ethnically sensitive tourists in the world.

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/worlds-best-tourists-026319

Cheers

My appologies I thought you said, "our Great Leader Thaksin"

^^ smile.png

You ain't the only one with such privileges. However, such privileges don't in any way invalidate what I typed previously.

Happy Saturday.

Edit: funny video, btw.

Edited by PaullyW

Yes, it's confusing why they wear it. Is it offensive? Not really. I find it more embarrassing that it shows how completely unaware they are of the association.

Thailand gets embarrassed about this and that, but they are apparently unaware that are unwittingly glorifying a despot and evil man, who would happily have thrown them in the Chambers also.

How ill informed is that?

Edited by Thai at Heart

^^ smile.png

You ain't the only one with such privileges. However, such privileges don't in any way invalidate what I typed previously.

Happy Saturday.

Edit: funny video, btw.

The post that I commented on stated, "What do you expect from a country full of over 60 million people who don't know that a world exists beyond their borders and who generally despise non-Thais? Nothing new here for those of us who live here. Let the 2 week tourists be surprised." Is completely invalid. Thais don't despise us. You maybe but not us. Thais know a world exists beyond their borders, turn on Thai TV and look at Thai fashions. It seems you have problems in Thailand not us and that is the point I was trying to get across.

It's OK. We can disagree. I think that your average Thai hasn't really a clue. Perhaps one of us can locate a reasonably done study, post it and discuss it. I think that would be more productive.

My University educated girlfriend never even heard of WWII. A bit shocking they don't teach any type of history. I've shown many Thai people a swastika and asked them what it means. Or if they know who hitler was. Still have not had one person know what they are. From what I know, it's mostly young people who are wearing these clothes. Same as young people every where. They like to get a reaction from people. Don't waste your time giving them one.

Winston Churchill was a saint,then.

How many bombing raids did he authorize.

killing many innocents.

I don't think the Germans showed much sign of innocence from they the time started bombing English civilians until after the war when they suddenlyclaimed to only be following orders.

a Stalin Ronald Mcdonald or a Mao Teletubby

Coool! Where can we get them in Terminal 21?? Are they available in matching colours? I'll look well dench having one of them.

I actually took that video last year in Bang Saen. It was in the mall across from Burapha University. I think the store is still there but the trend has slowed down. I just found a hitler zippo at Rama 4 big C. Mom and pop store downstairs. I posted the photo on my facebook and highly offended some people.