Hitler Fashion Statements Confuse, Offend Tourists In Thailand

webfact

I really do not understand people who are on a Thailand forum so they obviously either live here or holiday here......if you don''t like it then go and don't come here. You cannot take some parts you like and approve of and then try to get rid of the other......this is all part of Thai culture, humour and acceptance....take the Christian moralist attitude and go back home. Leave the poor Thai's alone.....Do they go to your countries and write in newspapers and set up chat rooms denouncing everything your country does...NO.......so stop being so blindly arrogant and ignorant........like the bloody crusades all over again telling other people what is right and wrong.....no wonder the rest of the world gets so pissed off with us Europeans and Amercians.....we screwed our own countries up, got no money and now we come to others to try and cash in and then tell them what they should be doing and how they should be running their lives...yes its a rant as I am so sick of the mentality of some of my own countrymen and fellow Westerners...as I am sure some of you are also.....GO HOME !!! Leave us alone and leave the Thai's alone....Its a plastic dummy !!!!!!

Edited by getoverit69
  • Like 1

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who are not happy with what they see should stay home or never come back ! Easy ! In this country we do what we want and say what we want, it is called freedom and many countries and their stupid laws should learn from here !

There's a facile argument coupled to some falsities!

• Like 1

I really do not understand people who are on a Thailand forum so they obviously either live here or holiday here......if you don''t like it then go and don't come here. You cannot take some parts you like and approve of and then try to get rid of the other......this si all part of Thai culture, huour and acceptance....take the Christian moralist attitude and go back home. Leave the poor Thai's alone.....Do they go to your countries an write in newspapers and set up chat rooms denouncing everything your country does...NO.......so stop being so blindly arrogant and ignorant........like the bloody crusades all over again telling other people what is right and wrong.....no wonder the rest of the world gets so pissed off with us Europeans and Amercians.....we screwed our own countries up, got no money and now we come to others to try and cash in and then tell them waht they should be doing and how they should be running their lives...yes its a rant as I am so sick of the mentality of some of my own countrymen and fellow Westreners...as I am sure some of you are also.....GO HOME !!! Leave us alone and leave the Thai's alone

More nonsense -

• Like 1

I really do not understand people who are on a Thailand forum so they obviously either live here or holiday here......if you don''t like it then go and don't come here. You cannot take some parts you like and approve of and then try to get rid of the other......this si all part of Thai culture, huour and acceptance....take the Christian moralist attitude and go back home. Leave the poor Thai's alone.....Do they go to your countries an write in newspapers and set up chat rooms denouncing everything your country does...NO.......so stop being so blindly arrogant and ignorant........like the bloody crusades all over again telling other people what is right and wrong.....no wonder the rest of the world gets so pissed off with us Europeans and Amercians.....we screwed our own countries up, got no money and now we come to others to try and cash in and then tell them waht they should be doing and how they should be running their lives...yes its a rant as I am so sick of the mentality of some of my own countrymen and fellow Westreners...as I am sure some of you are also.....GO HOME !!! Leave us alone and leave the Thai's alone

More nonsense -

Indeed. Wearing a swastika out of ignorance, just shows dumb ignorance so is ok, or, wearing one out of allegiance is obviously ok also.

More nonsense -

Ha ha haha obviously a very grown up pseudo intellectual with no intelligence or understanding of history who still believes in Santa Clause..get over it

Edited by getoverit69

I really do not understand people who are on a Thailand forum so they obviously either live here or holiday here......if you don''t like it then go and don't come here. You cannot take some parts you like and approve of and then try to get rid of the other......this is all part of Thai culture, humour and acceptance....take the Christian moralist attitude and go back home. Leave the poor Thai's alone.....Do they go to your countries and write in newspapers and set up chat rooms denouncing everything your country does...NO.......so stop being so blindly arrogant and ignorant........like the bloody crusades all over again telling other people what is right and wrong.....no wonder the rest of the world gets so pissed off with us Europeans and Amercians.....we screwed our own countries up, got no money and now we come to others to try and cash in and then tell them what they should be doing and how they should be running their lives...yes its a rant as I am so sick of the mentality of some of my own countrymen and fellow Westerners...as I am sure some of you are also.....GO HOME !!! Leave us alone and leave the Thai's alone....Its a plastic dummy !!!!!!

Why can't you "You cannot take some parts you like and approve of and then try to get rid of the other." Who wrote that rule?

Everyplace has its issues, but by you logic it seems that one must accept everything as it is no matter where they live.

A strong connection between Thailand and Fascist Italy in the 1930s, I believe. Hitler just has more appeal to Thais than Mussolini had/has.

Yes, the usual Thais love Nazis/Hitler thread and the tourists are shocked thread that we see all through the year. coffee1.gif

Please change the record because everyone's sick of this one.

Why should we even care about the non story?

What do you expect from a country full of over 60 million people who don't know that a world exists beyond their borders and who generally despise non-Thais? Nothing new here for those of us who live here. Let the 2 week tourists be surprised. coffee1.gif

Sorry but this is just nonsense. Some people do or say something stupid and then that's generalized to some rant about 60 million plus people.

I've inserted these same pictures before. The supposedly well-educated & sophisticated British royals kissing up to Hitler and partying in Nazi uniforms. Are you going to generalize these "trend-setters" to all the people in UK? Certainly the British have spent much of the past century living with the delusion that the sun never set on their magnificence and everyone not them was made of lesser stuff.

Your argument is something called a false argument. The generalizaton of Thais and their lacking of world education is far more accurate than if you were to make the same statement about the British. Thais generally don't travel, and Thai education concerns itself far more with singing anthems in the morning and nation building than teaching Thais about anything going on outside of Thailand. The same is absolutely not true of the British and most other Western countries whose people have been travelling for centuries.

My company is a multinational with offices in nearly every country in SEA. Guess who are known notoriously for their unwillingness to travel to other countries in the region for projects? Thais.

The actions of the couple of Brits don't represent the general attitude or knowledge of the historical events. On the other hand, the lack of Thai sensitivity and knowledge represented in the video is indeed representative of the average Thai.

Edited by PaullyW

Well we all know where this thread is headed, rears its head every so often, then gets closed, surprised the mods havent jumped all over it by now.

Its a bit difficult having a discussion, where if you have a differing opinion to another, the other person seems to think its acceptable to beat the shit out of you.

The irony, the same ones who are up in arms about Hitler and a t shirt are now mimicking the same behaviour of those they claim to despise.

Yep, Godwin's Law will be fulfilled any second now!

Is it too early in this thread to put up the "swastika is an ancient Buddhist / Hindu symbol" defense? rolleyes.gif

If you're gonna do that at least get it right. The Swastika dates back millenia... long before Buddhism or Hinduism....

Lol, Hindu is over 5,000 years old. Lot longer than a millenia

I didn't say a millenia (which in any case, would be 'a millenium'). Millenia is plural. At around 10,000BC (earliest found, to date) puts it another 5,000 years older than Hinduism - hence 'long before'.

It's Ok mate....he or his ancestors most likely were not subject to the raping or pillaging by the mighty Roman Empire and so did not have the benefit of learing Latin....unlike myself who endured the horrors of Mrs Stannard the Latin teacher at Harwich County High School. I still get riled when people say " what's the Agenda?"...AGENDUM you ignoramuses or is that ignorami? Amo, amas amat....vomit ad nauseum (nausea?)

Edited by Mudcrab

Why can't you "You cannot take some parts you like and approve of and then try to get rid of the other." Who wrote that rule?

Everyplace has its issues, but by you logic it seems that one must accept everything as it is no matter where they live.

To a point yes.....its called tolerance and it is not as if it is casuing death and mayhem......lighten up man

More nonsense -

Indeed. Wearing a swastika out of ignorance, just shows dumb ignorance so is ok, or, wearing one out of allegiance is obviously ok also.

Prince Harry often wears the swastika. So big deal

More nonsense -

AFAIK once, at a fancy dress party and was upbraided for it. Can you only manage one thought at a time?

Punks in UK in 70s wore Nazi paraphernalia, largely to shock, but this indicates they also had some knowledge of the history involved.

The British are credited with "inventing" concentration camps during the wars in South Africa, however Fascism is from the romans (a bundle of rods and axes denoting the power of the consuls).

Thailand aligned to Germany in WW2 and a lot of the ruling elite right through to present time have connections with Nazi sympathisers. So keeping quiet about Hitler in schools cann at least partly be attributed to saving the faces of the "powers-that-be".

Many nazis from Germany, Italy, Greece, East Europe went to USA before & after the war. So American is closer to nazism than Thailand. Blood is thicker then water don't you think?

More nonsense -

So as not to offend the easily offended and have someone beat the shit out me, can you PC fashion police advise me if its acceptable to wear my Motorhead t shirt in public?

Edited by rgs2001uk

What do you expect from a country full of over 60 million people who don't know that a world exists beyond their borders and who generally despise non-Thais? Nothing new here for those of us who live here. Let the 2 week tourists be surprised. coffee1.gif

Think you should amend your post to "live here with ethnocentric blinders on." Obvious you don't watch Thai TV or listen to KPop on Thai radio. I suppose all those foreign movies are watched by expats only. And I suppose all the TV and Movie actors are not half European white decent. They don't despise non Thais. Where do you think the past two leaders of Thailand were educated? Does Thailand try to copy Fords? Nope. They ask Ford to make cars in Thailand. Thais know Western or Chinese technology is superior and have you ever seen a group of Thai women around a new half Caucasian baby? Wake up!!!

Yes, Thais will happily take foreign money and ideas, but most would rather the people stay in their respective countries outside of Thailand. Ethnocentric blinders? Have you not experienced the immigration, land ownership or protection under law policies that are grossly and obviously deficient and often discriminatory with respect to foreigners? Anyone with any real interest here (business, family, etc) knows the deal.

As for 'Americans', anyway, these guys have the Americans being some of the best, most ethnically sensitive tourists in the world.

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/worlds-best-tourists-026319

Cheers

Try Japan

Oh, the hitler thread again. Whoopee. All we need now is a thread full of raging farang complaining about being called farang and our day will be complete.

Yesterday a couple of Thai kids laughed as I went past them and when I asked them why they laughed they replied because you are farang that looks like Hitler. House is on the market, car on the market and I'm leaving and going back to UK.

Maybe you should shave that little mustache. smile.png

Arn't all farlangs 'little hitlers'?

More nonsense -

I think'often' may be stretching it, and as far as I know he apologised. It made him look ignorant and unthinking.

Big deal.

Think you should amend your post to "live here with ethnocentric blinders on." Obvious you don't watch Thai TV or listen to KPop on Thai radio. I suppose all those foreign movies are watched by expats only. And I suppose all the TV and Movie actors are not half European white decent. They don't despise non Thais. Where do you think the past two leaders of Thailand were educated? Does Thailand try to copy Fords? Nope. They ask Ford to make cars in Thailand. Thais know Western or Chinese technology is superior and have you ever seen a group of Thai women around a new half Caucasian baby? Wake up!!!

Yes, Thais will happily take foreign money and ideas, but most would rather the people stay in their respective countries outside of Thailand. Ethnocentric blinders? Have you not experienced the immigration, land ownership or protection under law policies that are grossly and obviously deficient and often discriminatory with respect to foreigners? Anyone with any real interest here (business, family, etc) knows the deal.

As for 'Americans', anyway, these guys have the Americans being some of the best, most ethnically sensitive tourists in the world.

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/worlds-best-tourists-026319

Cheers

Try Japan

Lived in Japan as well, and, yes, this is true. They are too a country that would rather foreigners not migrate. However, on balance, Japan has FAR more to offer the world and anyone living in Japan than Thailand does for anyone wanting to live in Thailand. Literally worlds apart. Asian countries in general are not as open as Western ones.

Edited by PaullyW

Punks in UK in 70s wore Nazi paraphernalia, largely to shock, but this indicates they also had some knowledge of the history involved.

The British are credited with "inventing" concentration camps during the wars in South Africa, however Fascism is from the romans (a bundle of rods and axes denoting the power of the consuls).

Thailand aligned to Germany in WW2 and a lot of the ruling elite right through to present time have connections with Nazi sympathisers. So keeping quiet about Hitler in schools cann at least partly be attributed to saving the faces of the "powers-that-be".

Many nazis from Germany, Italy, Greece, East Europe went to USA before & after the war. So American is closer to nazism than Thailand. Blood is thicker then water don't you think?

No. Thais on Nazi side Swastikas during the war and Americans Stars and Stripes on the other side.

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 2

I can't imagine them doing the same with Pol Pot (better not to give them ideas).

I doubt that the majority of Thais would be able to tell you who Pol Pot was.

or Aussies, Yanks, Poms,,,,,,,

Who cares what Hitler did.

The families of six million Jews that were murdered care.

as do the millions slaughtered by Western greed and I am from the West.......some of us are equal but some of us are more equal than others....I think everyone on here knows how sad it was but we are talking about a dummy here men......No one means any harm by it......it is called parody

And albeit I understand the Jews fear of the past but they they not been doing a good job themselves of being virtuous.......it is the world we live in....a very mixed up and conflicted place full of hypocracy on all sides

Edited by getoverit69
  • Like 1

Who cares what Hitler did.

The families of six million Jews that were murdered care.

as do the millions slaughtered by Western greed and I am from the West.......some of us are equal but some of us are more equal than others....I think everyone on here knows how sad it was but we are talking about a dummy here men......No one means any harm by it......it is called parody

And albeit I understand the Jews fear of the past but they they not been doing a good job themselves of being virtuous.......it is the world we live in....a very mixed up and conflicted place full of hypocracy on all sides

Interesting ideas you have. So because Jews are not perfect, and were never perfect, like all human beings are not perfect and never perfect, somehow that's a justification to defending Hitler's mass genocide of the Jews?

Get over it? No.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I can't imagine them doing the same with Pol Pot (better not to give them ideas).

I doubt that the majority of Thais would be able to tell you who Pol Pot was.

i have never met one that did

Have you ever met one who knew who Plaek Phibunsongkhram was?

He is the dude on the victory monument and I know several Thais who are familiar with Philbun. Many do not know however, that he often referred to his Chinese problem as being similar to what Hitler called his Jewish problem.

• Like 1

What do you expect from a country that at first actually sided with the Japanese during World War 2 and the fascist Thai leader at the time actually wanted to declare war against the USA. But luckly for Thailand their ambassador in the USA refused to do it, most Thais do not even know this which is their own history.

And the whole discussion about Thais calling non Thais farangs what bothers me about it is in most countries at least they identify you as an American, or British or whatever but in Thailand they do not care as we are all just foreigners or outsiders to them that is why it is called Thailand the land of the Thais. Also his name was given to the country by the fascist leader who sided with the Japanese, before that it was known as Siam, the real traditional name of the country, most Thais do not even know this either or they do not want them to know this.

• Like 2