Ok..this Is Not A Troll Thread.."farang Food"..

cheesyd

This thread will likely end up closed due to posters inability to discuss something without resorting to some ridiculous nastiness.. but heres giving it a try anyway...

I of course realise the term "Farang" is in regard to Caucasian/westerners..but seeing as the term "farang food" gets chucked about in this forum, i would like to ask what nationalities men here are actually referring to...?

Personally i cannot see how food from European, Latin, American, British, etc backgrounds..can or should all be grouped together as representative of each other.(I am guessing Latin would not come under "western", but just a moot point, no?)

I of course find it insulting that "farang food" should be somehow a derogatory term. But more than that, i also find it strange, for just because i am Caucasian i am thus meant to eat the same food of the same type as every other?

So what exactly in your minds is "farang food" and what does that represent and why (for some) does it equal such negative associations. (PLEASE can we try to discuss this in a way that doesnt resort to base Neanderthal style remarks! )...

+++

From someone who enjoys a good pie & chips.

• Like 1

Farang = Foreigner so Farang Food = Foreign Food.

Not sure of the point the OP is trying to make ?

Seconded. Any food that is non-Thai

although unconfirmed, my gut feel is most thais would not consider Japanese food to be farang food, even if it is non Thai.

I wonder how long before the PC brigade arrive and say there should be quotas so that farang food gets its fair share of being eaten, and that menus should be forced to have farang food on the menu, special eating hours where only farang food is allowed, millions of dollars spent on surveys why life is unfair for farang food, preference on delivery schedules, national farang food day, farang food only locations, longer sell by dates for farang food, farang food societies, perhaps even a farang food only forum on TV

:)

although unconfirmed, my gut feel is most thais would not consider Japanese food to be farang food, even if it is non Thai.

I think you are correct & it is true that Asian foods are not considered Farang Food

So Chinese,Japanese,Korean etc. not farang food

I also would not be surprised if Indian & ME foods are also not considered Farang foods. smile.png

So should we say instead then Farang = Non Asian foreigner ?

Nope. Thais don't mean that. They wouldn't call Japanese farang food -- EVER.

I think they mean WHITE PEOPLE's food. Period.

It also wouldn't include African food, Arabic food, etc.

Edited by Jingthing

This is a joke thread.

Note the similarities to this...

This thread will likely end up closed due to posters inability to discuss something without resorting to some ridiculous nastiness.. but heres giving it a try anyway...

I of course realise the term "Farang" is in regard to Caucasian/westerners..but seeing as the term "farang woman" gets chucked about in this forum, i would like to ask what nationalities men here are actually referring to...?

Personally i cannot see how women from European, Latin, American, British, etc backgrounds..can or should all be grouped together as representative of each other.(I am guessing Latin would not come under "western", but just a moot point, no?)

I of course find it insulting that "farang woman" should be somehow a derogatory term. But more than that, i also find it strange, for just because i am Caucasian i am thus meant to be the same as every other woman of the same skin tone..?

So what exactly in your minds is "farang woman" and what does that represent and why (for some) does it equal such negative associations. (PLEASE can we try to discuss this in a way that doesnt resort to base Neanderthal style remarks! )...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/624410-okthis-is-not-a-troll-threadfarang-women/

Fun watching the thread proceed on several levels at the same time laugh.png

Thought Tommophysicist's post was a classic by making two contentious statements ( or not) and then a line telling us the world is full of gullible fools - definitely could be taken several ways - and no doubt some people are still working out what to think, or whether he's just insulted them :)

Definitely a sniper hit and a wink from Boo in moving to the food forum - cleverly dealt with.

I suggest notmyself's post above is deleted :)

As I said above, So should we say instead then Farang = Non Asian foreigner ?

No because Africans are non-Asian foreigner.

They mean WHITE people's stuff when they say farang. It ain't rocket science.

Edited by Jingthing

No because Africans are non-Asian foreigner.

They mean WHITE people's stuff when they say farang. It ain't rocket science.

Meh and here I thought Farang = Foreigner, might go play with some rockets to understand the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Meh and here I thought Farang = Foreigner, might go play with some rockets to understand the difference.

Nope, it is usually used to refer to westerners. Malays, Singaporeans, Africans, etc. wouldn't be termed as farangs.

Farang food is western food, nothing more to it. Not sure where this insinuation of negativity comes from - I've never heard it used in a negative way unless the person actually happens to not like western food in general.

Thais as a generality don't like BLAND food and I do think Thais generalize western (f-rang) food as being BLAND. So I think in many ways there is a negative connotation. Also, of course obviously the non-elite masses of Thailand have never even tried DECENT western food in the first place, so how would they know?

Farang= foreigner, so all food that is not Thai, from outside of Thailand,

Farang food is used on this forum, and while I have heard many Thai's use the term farang, I personally have never heard of them using the term "Farang Food".

Food that is not native to Thailand, Just my two cents!

Cheers:smile.png

Thais as a generality don't like BLAND food and I do think Thais generalize western (f-rang) food as being BLAND. So I think in many ways there is a negative connotation. Also, of course obviously the non-elite masses of Thailand have never even tried DECENT western food in the first place, so how would they know?

Yes, like hickory smoked pork ribs.

i think it's a fusion between western food and stereotypical American food.

Although I also see it as anything easy to consume for farangs, ie. low fish sauce and chilli. For example, Indian curry is farang food compared to isaan som tum. Also Black Canyon serves farangized food. :P

In the 12 years I have been in Thailand, as the only village Farang. I have never heard the Thai's refer to food in that manner, the only comment I remember is some say,"you eat easy" because at times i will eat only one item and Thai's like a meal that involve many different dishes!

Cheers::smile.png

The term used by Thais to congregate us all in one pot rather than try to find out where we actually come from , is "farang". However , any Asean country

other than Thailand , the Thais do not call those people from , Cambodia , Laos , Malaysia , etc etc Farang , even though they are foreign .

Farang food is westernised food that WE have introduced here in Thailand and crave so much due to the very limited menu that the Thais eat., not only that but

I can eat bloody rice and noodles every day biggrin.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not true mate, Falang is used strictly for Western Caucasian foreigners. People of Mid Asian decent are called "Khun Khek", Chinese are called "Khun Cheen" and so on. Foods are given similar post fixes, Western foods are called kin Falang, Mid Eastern foods - kin Khek, Chinese foods - kin Cheen.

Edited by carlspencer