Rimping, No Good Customer Care

invex

Once, twice a month I buy 5-10 boxes of Chooze juice at Rimping.

2 days ago, I opened a box bought 2 weeks ago. The smell and taste was completely different from the other Pomelo (grapefruit) ones.

Asking to change for another box they told me they normally not do it, however, if I bring the sealed box with the ticket they would maybe change !

Jesus Maria Christ..... how can I know there is something wrong without opening it? How can they expect one keeps the tickets for weeks....

My Thai wife had a chat with at least 5 staff but at the end Khun Kae was firm: this is our policy and that's all.

Rimping might be good in Chiang Mai but still light years behind foreign stores in the western world.

Without the receipt, I think no chance here unless it's the supermarket brand. Makro took back a pack or fruit juice - it was the wrong colour (greenish). Even the security guard laughed when I, jokingly, challenged him to drink it sick.gif

Most supermarkets in the UK exchange any food items (opened or unopened) without receipt or question.

It's just the way they work.

This isn't the UK .... coffee1.gif

Funny tho, Australia's Myer department store had a similar policy. An old mate would always buy quality (overpriced) shoes and return them ~ 12 months later ... exchanged FOC for a new pair! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

In Thailand its a case of 'caveat emptor'. IMO we're all better off with this system. I was ripped - bought sunnies at Charoen store in Kad Suan Kaew; the lenses had a fault and they would not refund, only exchange. TW took the exchange pair and on-sold via Thai-family-mafia.

NOTE: Never buy CROCODILE sunnies at Charoen optical.... absolute rubbish!

Thats what happened to me when I first came to live here, bought a bottle of Sprite at

the small shop in the Moo Bahn, took it home opened it, flat as a pancake,no fizz,no taste

I think they must have been cleaning the tanks out at the factory.

So I returned it to the shop, told her it was no good, she said cannot change it because

you have opened it, yes I had to open it to find out it was no good !!!, she was adamant

that she would not change it,so she lost my business for the next 6 years until she went bust,.

all over a bht 18 bottle of Sprite, I am sure the bottlers would have exchanged it for her anyway.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

Thats what happened to me when I first came to live here, bought a bottle of Sprite at

the small shop in the Moo Bahn, took it home opened it, flat as a pancake,no fizz,no taste

I think they must have been cleaning the tanks out at the factory.

So I returned it to the shop, told her it was no good, she said cannot change it because

you have opened it, yes I had to open it to find out it was no good !!!, she was adamant

that she would not change it,so she lost my business for the next 6 years until she went bust,.

all over a bht 18 bottle of Sprite, I am sure the bottlers would have exchanged it for her anyway.

regards Worgeordie

Chances are good that the small store in your Moo Bahn bought the sprite from Makro.

• Like 2

Food is so cheap here that I just accept the occasional loss. It can happen in Canada when I buy a big box of oranges and one or two are rotten. I could return the whole box but it's just not worth my bother. I also buy Chooze juice at Rimping. They recently had a 2 for one that I took advantage of, but I think that is now finished.

Food is so cheap here that I just accept the occasional loss. It can happen in Canada when I buy a big box of oranges and one or two are rotten. I could return the whole box but it's just not worth my bother. I also buy Chooze juice at Rimping. They recently had a 2 for one that I took advantage of, but I think that is now finished.

I think those are specials when they are getting close to their expiry date. Buy one of those and store it for a couple of weeks and it will increase the chances of getting a bad one.

you buy 10 - 20 boxes of juice per month and one was off. It happens. Life is like that. It also sometimes rains when you don't have an umbrella. Why the need to punish yourself by getting so worked up about it? I'll receive flak here, but you really aren't going to enjoy living in Thailand. Suck a Valium.

I agree totally ...this can happen anywhere and when the things are this affordable and to get so worked up over one carton of juice makes this an exercise in vain

Some would say this is the principal of things ...if everything worked as it should ...it would be an insanely boring world and most of us would be jobless

• Like 1

Reminds me of when I 1st move to HKG in 1970 and found mountains of old French wine in a store in Central. Filled a shopping cart with wines from the 50's and all were about US$2.50 each. Obviously the store continued to buy new wines and put them in front without rotating. Out of all that wine I found one bottle that had gone off and attempted to return it, but was told it couldn't be returned because I had opened it.

You never know how old something is when you buy it at Rimping. There is a lot of products that are out of date. I do not know what Chooze Juice is but maybe it was old, it might have not been rotated correctly. Usually if I find something like that I toss it. Do you need the money from 1 box of juice that you bought a couple of weeks ago? Let it go.

In the restaurant/service business there is a certain amount of waste. You want to get 100% product but... you buy a product and you get a certain percentage. In this case it is juice. If you have great control you can get 100%.

My thoughts are, why buy from Rimping? Although I know that Rimping has some good deals. Buy from Makro. They have a better turnover with their products and usually better pricing.

Dave

• Like 2

I knew I would get some "strange" reactions but never mind. Believe me, I can afford to throw away 41 Baht. It is not about the money, it is about the spirit and principle I divide businesses in 2, "good" and "bad" ones. A business with silly replies to my questions, arrogant attitude or bad service goes to my "bad" section. The Chabaa box was not expired but good until 02-2014. Yes, it can happen that a box is bad and than the service steps in. At Rimping clearly a complete failure (in my opinion).

A few months ago at New World, Hamilton, NZ. I bought a white wine for about 25 NZ$. Coming home the taste was sour. Next day bring it back. Sorry and without problems a refund. The manager gave me without asking an extra bottle of around the same price for my lost time and trip. I got my money back and a (very good) free bottle on top. That is service and I like to go back those businesses.

That's why light years of difference.
  • Like 1

My experience was w/Rimping Service was I bought some cheese that was way way off and next time in I brought only the receipt as I did not want a keep old bad smelly cheese in my house or car and they said no refund and next time I should open everything there after paying to be sure ok. They then asked for my Rimping Card as if I was going to get a black mark next to my name. Only shop there for those special times I can't get at Rumchok next door where the sweet shopkeepers throw in a few extra oranges or give me all the old veg for my chickens always with a BIG smile biggrin.png

You never know how old something is when you buy it at Rimping. There is a lot of products that are out of date. I do not know what Chooze Juice is but maybe it was old, it might have not been rotated correctly. Usually if I find something like that I toss it. Do you need the money from 1 box of juice that you bought a couple of weeks ago? Let it go. In the restaurant/service business there is a certain amount of waste. You want to get 100% product but... you buy a product and you get a certain percentage. In this case it is juice. If you have great control you can get 100%. My thoughts are, why buy from Rimping? Although I know that Rimping has some good deals. Buy from Makro. They have a better turnover with their products and usually better pricing. Dave

Also their own Aro brand juice is pretty good, and cheap.

I knew I would get some "strange" reactions but never mind. Believe me, I can afford to throw away 41 Baht. It is not about the money, it is about the spirit and principle I divide businesses in 2, "good" and "bad" ones. A business with silly replies to my questions, arrogant attitude or bad service goes to my "bad" section. The Chabaa box was not expired but good until 02-2014. Yes, it can happen that a box is bad and than the service steps in. At Rimping clearly a complete failure (in my opinion).

A few months ago at New World, Hamilton, NZ. I bought a white wine for about 25 NZ$. Coming home the taste was sour. Next day bring it back. Sorry and without problems a refund. The manager gave me without asking an extra bottle of around the same price for my lost time and trip. I got my money back and a (very good) free bottle on top. That is service and I like to go back those businesses.

I hear what you are saying. It's the little amounts that add up and customer service can go a long way. As far as Rimping goes and probably most businesses in Thailand they do not have great customer service in terms of refunds. You probably can't cross them off your list just because they can have a few specialty items that you may need or you might want to use them in an emergency. Use them as little as possible. They are expensive and you should be sourcing your products at a wholesaler. What about Northern Farms? They also do some juices. Yok and The Bakery Store also have a decent selection of products usually at a better price. Kasem Store will sell you juice and if it were bad I would guess that they would have probably replaced it. All of these places will deliver if you meet their minimum.

Dave

Dave

I myself have only been here 7 years and am not one bit surprised at it happening. It is common knowledge that Thai logic is different than NZ logic. I might not understand it but I find if I respect it and do not try to impose NZ logic on Thai's I can enjoy life here in the LOS much better.

I would hate to hear what you think of their driving and parking methods.

This is probably the third thread on this topic in a year. It is going to happen.

On a side note it seems to me that juice unrefrigerated would have a best before date of less than a year. Just a thought

I think those are specials when they are getting close to their expiry date. Buy one of those and store it for a couple of weeks and it will increase the chances of getting a bad one.

The Chooze special had nothing to do with expiration dates and were not limited to Rimping. I bought some at a local shop here in Lamphun, and it has expiration dates (actually "Best before") in November/December.

Sophon

If you want western service levels you have to go to places like Tesco which in fact uses the same code as the UK for refunds and also uses the register policy that if an item is mispriced you get it free. Of course you may have to ask for management to get them to comply but they do. Rimping charge high but use outdated service plicies (on a world scale)

Rimping might be good in Chiang Mai but still light years behind foreign stores in the western world.

Ask any Aussies they'll say NZ is not in the western world

Never ceases to amaze me the number of people who choose to live in a foreign culture and expect the same treatment as where they come from.sad.png

• Like 1

you buy 10 - 20 boxes of juice per month and one was off. It happens. Life is like that. It also sometimes rains when you don't have an umbrella. Why the need to punish yourself by getting so worked up about it? I'll receive flak here, but you really aren't going to enjoy living in Thailand. Suck a Valium.

In some cases, I would be the one offering flak, as I believe in standing up for ones rights. But I also believe in judiciously choosing battles, and a box of juice just doesn't even seem worth a trip back to the store even if they would exchange it with a smile. Maybe you need to drink beer instead. At least it will relax you.