Suzuki Hayate Source Of Endless Woe

Friend of mine has a Suzuki Hayate - it is a strong and sturdy bike (for an automatic), but it has one fatal flaw which has plagued him for years and years - it accellerates suddenly and for no apparent reason. He's crashed once or twice due to this problem, and spend thousands of baht on fixes, including a new carburetor a year ago.

Anyway, I've told him that in my opinion it is a hopeless case, but what could cause this? I believe the mechanics have checked into the obvious possibilities such as a kinked or binding throttle cable, or a caught or otherwise malfunctioning throttle mechanism. Now the mechanics who put in the new carburetor a year ago say this carburetor is now also no good, so it needs another one.

Any advice about the Suzuki Hayate? After observing my friend's difficulties (and my own very minor troubles with an antique Akira), I've developed an extreme aversion to Suzukis.

I know nothing about the Hayate CQ...but going back to basics the only thing that can make the bike accelerate is the carburettor slide lifting...in theory if the spring is too weak the air flow thru could lift the slide???

I've never had a bike accelerate on it's own, but have had the slides stick, especially when I used to mess with the carbs and run them without air filters. Quite a scary thing to shut the throttle and the engine ignores you w00t.gif

Could be your friend has an undiagnosed medical problem. My dad had one. One day a decade ago he was supposedly backing his car into the driveway but for some reason he put it in "D" and slammed the accelerator flat to the floor, screamed across the road and crashed into the front verandah of the house opposite. He had cuts and bruises but the car was a right off. Next day he was released from hospital and didn't remember a thing!

Maybe the bike is just fine.

Could be your friend has an undiagnosed medical problem. My dad had one. One day a decade ago he was supposedly backing his car into the driveway but for some reason he put it in "D" and slammed the accelerator flat to the floor, screamed across the road and crashed into the front verandah of the house opposite. He had cuts and bruises but the car was a right off. Next day he was released from hospital and didn't remember a thing!

Maybe the bike is just fine.

Haha, in that case I'll try to buy it off him cheap. Thanks BSJ. :v

Edited by ClareQuilty

I'd tell him to bite the bullet and buy another bike. Sell that one or better yet save lives and put it to rest.

If this were the USA you could sue Suzuki for millions and millions of $... but it's not so better get rid of the thing before someone gets hurt (again). I mean an old Suzuki Hayate - how much can it be worth at this point? Probably less than 20k baht?

Edited by nikster

I had a similar problem recently on my Phantom, I think it was caused by a leaking carb manifold, or perhaps a leak in the vacuum system. The reason I don't know is that we fixed both problems at the same time and the fault went away.

Now that it is working again, I need to sit down and work the logic out of what we did, but fuel/air mixing devices can be quite complicated to figure out.

But let us say there is a leak in a rubber hose, as the carb moves due to vibration, the split may vary in size. increasing the air flow, which in turn would draw in more fuel, causing a increase in rpm, all without touching the throttle.

Edited by AllanB

. I mean an old Suzuki Hayate - how much can it be worth at this point? Probably less than 20k baht?

I think less than 10,000 for sure. Nobody wans Suzukis - by that I mean Thais don't want them.

Unless of course it is an old classic Suzuki RC or something like that.

. I mean an old Suzuki Hayate - how much can it be worth at this point? Probably less than 20k baht?

I think less than 10,000 for sure. Nobody wans Suzukis - by that I mean Thais don't want them.

Unless of course it is an old classic Suzuki RC or something like that.

Your friend could just turn off the ignition when it happens which would help avoid a crash.

CQ, cast your mind back to when you owned the bike and it happened to you,

So youve riding along, accelrating to your speed, once you reached the speed, you close the throttle to maintain this speed, but the bike kept acelerating?

If this is the case, the twistgrip would feel very slack, not doing anything? which points [as others have said] to a sticking carb slide, if it is sticking, yes, another new? carb might be needed or just stretch the spring in the top of the one fitted now,

Lickey it is so many years ago now - maybe 2-3, that I can't really remember. I think my friend has generally been able to rectify the problem momentarily (if he hasn't taken a spill) by twisting sharply on the throttle handle, very higher and then lower, and it then sort of goes back to normal.

Lickey it is so many years ago now - maybe 2-3, that I can't really remember. I think my friend has generally been able to rectify the problem momentarily (if he hasn't taken a spill) by twisting sharply on the throttle handle, very higher and then lower, and it then sort of goes back to normal.

Deff sounds like the slide is sticking...If he decides to change the carb again then I'd be inclined to upgrade it to a flat-side carb thumbsup.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Denouement of this story: the friend traded this Hayate in on a nearly new Honda Spacey. The Spacey was priced at 29,000, and after valuing the Suzuki at around 7,000 baht, and knocking off a bit for title transfer costs, etc., it only reduced the cost of the Spacey by 5,000 in the trade in. I almost jumped in to buy the thing for 7,000, but too many people around here know it as a 'death machine' to be able to rent or sell it.

The Spacey is much more economical than the Hayate, but also a lot slower.