Bangkok Traffic Police: Red Light Cameras To Be In Use Again

webfact

"Red light cameras" to be in use again

BANGKOK, 11 March 2013 (NNT) - The Traffic Police have announced that "red light cameras", or cameras capturing footage of traffic light breachers, will be in operation again soon.

The Traffic Police said the broken cameras at major intersections around Bangkok are now starting to be fixed, after they had been broken. The cameras have been in used since 2008.

The company that won the auction for the camera fixing will fix cameras in 30 intersections for the cost of 8 million baht, and is expected to finish the repairs in one year.

Cameras that have been fixed will be used by the Traffic Police straightaway, without waiting for the all the rest to be fixed.

The new cameras will be equipped with a new computer system, which will allow traffic law violators to pay fines at any of the fine collecting points, and will prevent the problem of repeated ticket issuing, as has occurred in the past.

According to the Traffic Police, "red light cameras" had been an effective tool in preventing traffic law breaches at intersections, before they broke down.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-03-11 footer_n.gif

According to the Traffic Police, "red light cameras" had been an effective tool in preventing traffic law breaches at intersections, before they broke down.

No shit. Motocys routinely go through red lights at the pedestrian crossings on major roads like Sathorn, and you have to have your wits about you when trying to cross on foot.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what a red traffic light means in Thailand any more. I know that at some junctions you can turn left on red ... but I can't tell when you can and when you can't?

And I was riding through Bang Saen yesterday and stopped at a red light in the middle lane. When the horn beeps started I looked to my left to see who was blocking the left turn lane, and realized that they were beeping at me. I went through the red light and so did all the cars and bikes behind me .... but I still don't know why red did not mean stop.

I've nearly caused a few accidents by stopping for red lights in Bangkok.

So if there's a camera at the lights, I guess they'll be some good revenues from fines.

In addition to this, they have recently installed permanent speed cameras on the Ekamai-Ram Inthra expressway, going both ways.

They are here: http://goo.gl/maps/8yFNz

They look just like Gatsos

I notice there isn't any markings on the road to help identify which car in which lane was travelling at whatever speed. I guess they'll just ticket every one in the frame to cover all possibilities. The North bound camera has been flashing regularly for a few weeks now. I notice the South bound has only been installed over the last couple of weeks or so.

Nowadays there is often a Policeman dressed in a Military camouflage cape operating with a laser camera as well.

My wife tells me I won't get a ticket unless I'm exceeding 125 kmh, which I don't rely upon too much. However I did receive a 1,000 Baht fine in the post from the laser showing me at 126 kmh, so perhaps she is right!

It's a bit of a shame really as that Freeway has been one of BKK's best kept secrets for ages as it used to carry little traffic and Police presence was non existent.

What about cameras to snap the motorcyclists hauled their machines over the central reservation to do an illegal U-turn into a fast moving outside lane? If you hit the buggers, as I have nearly done on several occasions, there will of course be all hell to pay because they are the smaller vehicle.

• Like 1

No shit. Motocys routinely go through red lights at the pedestrian crossings on major roads like Sathorn, and you have to have your wits about you when trying to cross on foot.

I use a plate flipper. Just flip a handlebar switch, my plate flips down, I go, then flip it back up. Sweet!

I also flip it when I'm speeding. I installed the plate flipper after having my avatar picture taken. No more!

Edited by Ticketmaster

30 intersections

8 million baht to REPAIR them.

Total = 266,000 baht for each intersection.

it seems a tad expensive, no?

i wonder how much they cost to buy new? and I wonder how difficult and intensive the repair job is per camera?

-----

UPDATE:

I just found out a statistic for Traffic light Camera costs:

http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/transportation-and-parking/road-safety/red-light-cameras#cost

about $100,000 per camera.

So, maybe the repair cost is not so overboard after all !

Edited by easybullet3

If the fines for jumping red lights were substantial, and I mean perhaps 5000bt or even more for first offence, doubling on each subsequent offence, with a driving ban attached to the 3rd offence, then installing these cameras might serve a useful purpose. Otherwise, with the usual 2/300bt fine for motoring offences, they will just serve as a police savings fund!

• Like 1

In addition to this, they have recently installed permanent speed cameras on the Ekamai-Ram Inthra expressway, going both ways.

I notice there isn't any markings on the road to help identify which car in which lane was travelling at whatever speed. I guess they'll just ticket every one in the frame to cover all possibilities. The North bound camera has been flashing regularly for a few weeks now. I notice the South bound has only been installed over the last couple of weeks or so.

Nowadays there is often a Policeman dressed in a Military camouflage cape operating with a laser camera as well.

My wife tells me I won't get a ticket unless I'm exceeding 125 kmh, which I don't rely upon too much. However I did receive a 1,000 Baht fine in the post from the laser showing me at 126 kmh, so perhaps she is right!

It's a bit of a shame really as that Freeway has been one of BKK's best kept secrets for ages as it used to carry little traffic and Police presence was non existent.

Yeah, the north bound camera flashed a few weeks ago when I went past at 170+ at 4AM in the morning. No ticket yet.

It does get plenty of traffic during the day and evening now. I don't dare go over 120.

I did get an on the spot ticket on the eastern ring heading north 4 weeks ago. 700 baht for 163. Should have been 900.

Wonder why you got 1000 for 126.

• Like 1

Oh how I wish that I could have been one of the bidders. That is a tremendous amount of profit. You don't need graft & corruption when you are already making this much on the contract.

It still reminds me of the states though. The judges would not uphold a ticket, because the driver was never identified, just the car, and you can not put a car in jail. I do not think it is any different here. Can you spot the driver in any car here with the black tinted windows? Just say it wasn't you. Worked in the states very effectively.

30 intersections

8 million baht to REPAIR them.

Total = 266,000 baht for each intersection.

it seems a tad expensive, no?

i wonder how much they cost to buy new? and I wonder how difficult and intensive the repair job is per camera?

-----

UPDATE:

I just found out a statistic for Traffic light Camera costs:

http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/transportation-and-parking/road-safety/red-light-cameras#cost

about $100,000 per camera.

So, maybe the repair cost is not so overboard after all !

In this day and age, I don't believe that even Hollywood is paying $100,000 for a camera. That number is way out of the ballpark. Is someone making them out of solid gold? Taking a picture is not rocket science today. Heck, just put an iPad or Samsung up there. They could easily send that picture where ever you wanted it to go.

Carry a large, bright, rolled up umbrella, and look like you'll use it on 'em!!

I'm not sure what a red traffic light means in Thailand any more. I know that at some junctions you can turn left on red ... but I can't tell when you can and when you can't?

And I was riding through Bang Saen yesterday and stopped at a red light in the middle lane. When the horn beeps started I looked to my left to see who was blocking the left turn lane, and realized that they were beeping at me. I went through the red light and so did all the cars and bikes behind me .... but I still don't know why red did not mean stop.

So if there's a camera at the lights, I guess they'll be some good revenues from fines.

If you read up on the proper road rules here, you are alowed to turn left on a red light unless there's a sign saying you can't. There are many here in Pattaya.

• Like 1

I use a plate flipper. Just flip a handlebar switch, my plate flips down, I go, then flip it back up. Sweet!

I also flip it when I'm speeding. I installed the plate flipper after having my avatar picture taken. No more!

Can you get me one?

What about cameras to snap the motorcyclists hauled their machines over the central reservation to do an illegal U-turn into a fast moving outside lane? If you hit the buggers, as I have nearly done on several occasions, there will of course be all hell to pay because they are the smaller vehicle.

How about cameras to catch the cars that constantly cut off motorcyclists and bully them out of their lane, endangering the lives of the riders? I'd say that's a far more important thing to prevent than safeguarding you against possible liability for hitting some guy. Besides which, a driver is liable for almost anything they hit in the direction of travel, unless someone cut them off very quickly. (Of course, I'll admit that in Bangkok, you are left with little choice regarding distances between vehicles, and the speed you can travel.)

The world is over populated, we actualy need more danger as an essential element of natural selection and the future of our species. Don't make the same same mistake as the West and dumb everything down for an over protected brain dead populous. If it's just the money you're after, think of another way.

• Like 1

Right next to Tesco.

I must admit I hadn't noticed them. Hopefully not got any speeding fines headed my way (or my wife's way - since the car's in her name) as I haven't noticed any flashes in the rear-view mirror.

Admittedly, I tend to only speed when the road's pretty empty, and that's a relatively busy section at the times I drive through it, so I'm probably safe enough.

As for the speed - I've tended to assume that, for cars, 120 is the limit on the expressways as it's the limit on the outer ring road, so 125 before you get a ticket seems about right to allow for people's speedometers to misread slightly. (Other vehicle types obviously have lower limits). It would be nice if, like the outer ring road, they actually had a sign with the speed limits (especially if they're going to have speed cameras and make assumptions that people know what the limit is).