Anyone Seen Any Good Tv Series Recently?

No matter what we might consider watching in this new age,

What is the point? Can it really hold our attention after the 3rd or 8th installment?

Upstairs Downstairs is still one of the best that has ever been produced.

I never had the time to watch it when it was first showing with, in the US, Alistair Kook I think, doing the introductions.

He was too kooky for me back then.

But now that I can watch the whole damned thing on DVD, in one fell swoop,

I can really get hooked on the maids' downstairs.

Have a go.

Its lots of fun.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It is by the same people who brought us Breaking Bad,"

Breaking Bad started out with a few very good episodes and then just declined to almost not being worth watching. Is this not the case for most of these soaps? I have never watched a good one that ends well. By the time they finish they almost need to pay the audience to watch.

Breaking Bad started out with a few very good episodes and then just declined to almost not being worth watching. Is this not the case for most of these soaps? I have never watched a good one that ends well. By the time they finish they almost need to pay the audience to watch.

Breaking Bad is one of the most popular TV shows that are running right now and almost everyone I know ranks it amongst their favorites. I guess that there really is no accounting for taste.

Sorry G. I did very much like it for the first episodes and this was a very unique show that was almost impossible not to watch. I downloaded the first year, and the second, and then took a weekend and watched the whole thing in one full swoop. I love shows about Profs and Science. But after a while after the first and second season, I really found it difficult to continue. The reason this show, for me, was so riveting in the beginning was because I had never seen anything like it, it was original and we like to see good guys going bad sometimes and getting away with it. But for me, the show lost something the more I watched it. I know I could never watch it again. The same goes for that Nurse who is popping pills. Very good I thought. The last season though really lost its bizarre Outer Limits Twilight Zone feeling to it. The nurse show began really wacky and I could not get enough of it. I would dearly love to watch more if I could feel the same way as I did watching the first few episodes. (So maybe our tastes are not really so very different. I think they are not actually) I will try the new program that you mention when I have chance to download it on my seedbox, if I only had one.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Your problem might lie in your classification of it as a soap. It's more intelligent and better-acted than that by infinite measures.

I'm almost done with House of Cards, and I'm enjoying it. Kevin Spacey has mad skills. Was there another version in the UK or elsewhere?

Edited by dukeandduke

The Vikings, the Americans, Justified, Game of Thrones, Hell on Wheels, Sons of Anarchy, and the Walking Dead are all pretty good. I have heard from multiple people that "the Bible" is a very good series, but I have not seen it myself (so take that with a grain of salt).

• 2 weeks later...

7-part mini-series 'Top of the Lake' ... well worth watching

I always enjoy White Collar, good police procedural show and wanted to come up with something different the usual answers that everyone should know by now!

Vampire Diaries is actually very under-rated if you're into vampire type stuff and of course True Blood if that hasn't been mentioned yet

It has been mentioned here...but..

House Of Cards. Superb series. 13 episodes. This is the type of series you want to watch every episode back to back.

Originally all episodes were released in one go online by Netflix

Not to be confused with the original House of Cards set in the UK in 1990. Also excellent, but I rate this US version better

Misfits. Pure genius (probably helps if you are a Brit but I believe the US has its own version).

Justified S4 as good as previous seasons.

Endeavour. If you liked Morse then this series about his early days is excellent.

Ripper St.

I have just got through Lost. Hit and miss but you get dragged in.

A final word for the 2 greatest of them all. Band of Brothers and The Wire. There are two kinds of people; those who love the Wire and those who have not seen it yet.

Misfits. Pure genius (probably helps if you are a Brit but I believe the US has its own version).

Endeavour. If you liked Morse then this series about his early days is excellent.

Ripper St.

A final word for the 2 greatest of them all. Band of Brothers and The Wire. There are two kinds of people; those who love the Wire and those who have not seen it yet.

The Wire is great. I know it has been mentioned here a few times. A customer recommended the series to me. I watched series one then went out and bought the next 4 series on DVD, back before i started downloading. Addictive stuff

Same guy also suggested Curb your Enthusiasm. That is now one of my favourite comedies. Would be very happy to watch a new series of that!

One more:

Wentworth. This is a new Australian series showing on cable. It is an updated remake of the cult Australian series 'Prisoner'. It revolves around life inside the wing of a women's prison. It is soap opera style, not documentary or anything. However, it is not bad at all.

It has only just started, up to episode 5.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2013/04/wentworth.html

• 3 months later...

Ripper St.

The Wire is great. I know it has been mentioned here a few times. A customer recommended the series to me. I watched series one then went out and bought the next 4 series on DVD, back before i started downloading. Addictive stuff

Same guy also suggested Curb your Enthusiasm. That is now one of my favourite comedies. Would be very happy to watch a new series of that!

The Wire would be in my top 10 TV series of all time, sensational.

The writer David Simon is also responsible for Treme, which 've got, have but haven't watched as yet.

Also generation Kill, which is very good and The Corner which is like a prelude to The Wire.

CYE, is fantastic. I've watched season 8 and believe it's a year to year thing as to if he write's another one.

Larry David has also just made a TV movie for HBO called Clear History, again which I have but have not

gotten around to watch as yet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2279864/

• Like 1

Ripper St.

The writer David Simon is also responsible for Treme, which 've got, have but haven't watched as yet.

Also generation Kill, which is very good and The Corner which is like a prelude to The Wire.

CYE, is fantastic. I've watched season 8 and believe it's a year to year thing as to if he write's another one.

Larry David has also just made a TV movie for HBO called Clear History, again which I have but have not

Thanks for the info re: Generation Kill and Clear History, I wasn't aware of those.

Give Curb Your Enthusiasm a few episodes or more. That's what was recommended to me. It takes a few to find its feet, but as it goes on it has some comedy Gold. Stick with it.

P.S I have had Treme here (on DVD) for a while now but I haven't found the right mood to start watching it yet

Edited by BookMan

Ripper St.

Thanks for the info re: Generation Kill and Clear History, I wasn't aware of those.

Give Curb Your Enthusiasm a few episodes or more. That's what was recommended to me. It takes a few to find its feet, but as it goes on it has some comedy Gold. Stick with it.

P.S I have had Treme here (on DVD) for a while now but I haven't found the right mood to start watching it yet

Mate

I love CYE, absolutely love it.

IMO, this is one of the funniest scenes of all times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGjElvt4nP8

Mate

I love CYE, absolutely love it.

IMO, this is one of the funniest scenes of all times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGjElvt4nP8

Sorry Will, you are up to season 8, I meant the CYE as a general advice to people tongue.png

I wish he would make another series.

That episode is a classic. I've watched all series at least 2 times.

These big vagina ladies, are getting away with murderbiggrin.png