Chalerm To Meet Mahathir Over South

webfact

Chalerm to meet Mahathir over South
THE NATION

30201748-01_big.jpg

YALA: -- A volunteer ranger was killed and two others wounded yesterday when a M26 grenade hidden under the driver's seat exploded while their pickup was travelling on a road in Yala's Raman district.

Manat Satsue, 27, Vichit Chomwichian, 28, and Chatmongkol Thongthammachart, 27, were sent to Yala Hospital, where Manat died.

The three men were returning from a garage where the vehicle had been repaired.

In Bangkok, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said former Malaysian leader Mahathir Mohammad had agreed to meet a delegation of 15 officials led by Chalerm on Langkawi Island on March 28.

The BRN group that held peace talks with Pol Lt General Paradorn Pattanathabut, secretary-general of the National Security Council, was the "real" force behind the insurgency in the South, he said.

"The Malaysian prime minister also insists that they are the real ones. If not, why would he want to host the meeting and why would the Malaysian supreme commander and other Malaysian top security officials want to take part in the meeting? If Malaysia refuses to harbour insurgents, we'll benefit," he said.

Seeking reconciliation in the troubled South was not a pipe dream, he said.

"We dream of establishing peace through negotiations and reducing conflicts but critics are envious of us and do nothing. The government has taken the right path."

It was proper for the military to represent the Thai side in talks with the rebels since they had been working in the area and knew it the best. The government had to listen to them, he said.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra had given him a clear order to inspect the restive region following an escalation in violence and he had no choice but to obey.

"If I don't go to the South, I will definitely be sacked,'' he said.

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichakchaikul said the meeting between the NSC's Paradorn and the BRN on February 28 was only about agreeing to hold peace talks in the future.

"If it were a negotiation, we'd have to upgrade the status of the group. According to our Constitution, separatism is not allowed. We don't want anyone to politicise this issue and create public misunderstanding. The agreement to hold peace talks does not guarantee that there will be no violence in the South,'' he said.

Although the government had been ridiculed for dealing with a faction that had no real power in the separatist movement, it was at least getting the ball rolling and that would help encourage other groups to initiate dialogue.

"If we don't make a start, we won't be able to do anything. We're ready to talk with other groups,'' he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-12

After having made a fool of himself the last time he poured his heart and soul into the peacemaking process, I am somewhat surprised to see him ready to give it another shot. Is his one week period of silence complete after his bet failed on the Bangkok governor race ???

Just having trouble with this line

"Seeking reconciliation in the troubled South was not a pipe dream, he said."

I would think that to achieve reconciliation they would have to know what it is first.

So far as far as I can see there idea for reconciliation is white wash Thaksin.

Now for the South reconciliation will not come until Thailand admits it's part in the mess and punishes the perpetrator not white wash him.

Just my opinion and not even sure how much that would help now after having denied the events for so long.

"If I don't go to the South, I will definitely be sacked,'' he said.

What a wonderful attitude this "man" has.

How about wanting to do this for your people and your Country you dick?

Is it just me that wants to slap this guy silly?

Don't know if I could but I would be willing to try to hold him for you.

Yingluck is such a novice she gives a man all kinds of positions of authority instead of a pink slip that would better serve Thailand the country she was elected to govern whistling.gif tongue in cheek on that one.

Since the meeting is gonna be held on Langkawi, which by the way has duty free

status in Malaysia (read...cheap booze) I'd love to be a fly on the wall during this

so called "meeting"....Two morons having a discussion...there's gotta be some

laughs in there somewhere....along with all that cheap booze. Oh...wait!!! Mahathir

is a Muslim & supposedly can't drink plus he's also supposed to be "retired" from

political office/powers....Hah!...more laughs!

Since the meeting is gonna be held on Langkawi, which by the way has duty free

status in Malaysia (read...cheap booze) I'd love to be a fly on the wall during this

so called "meeting"....Two morons having a discussion...there's gotta be some

laughs in there somewhere....along with all that cheap booze. Oh...wait!!! Mahathir

is a Muslim & supposedly can't drink plus he's also supposed to be "retired" from

political office/powers....Hah!...more laughs!

Please call alcohol by the correct name...."Ear medicine".

• Like 2

I would think that to achieve reconciliation they would have to know what it is first.

Now for the South reconciliation will not come until Thailand admits it's part in the mess and punishes the perpetrator not white wash him.

Just my opinion and not even sure how much that would help now after having denied the events for so long.

The first intelligent post I have seen from you regarding this whole issue . . . well done

(Pipe dream)His ear medicine?

post-94947-0-17154200-1363080882_thumb.j

The first intelligent post I have seen from you regarding this whole issue . . . well done

The old boy does have his moments smile.png

• Like 1

Obviously I am not a Muslim and there fore not duty bound to protect them from any slurs on their suacidal lack of concern for life practices.

Ergo you had to side with me on this one. And reject my other posts. No surprise there.

The old boy does have his moments smile.png

Watch the old stuff.

I am going to pull a Sing_Sing on that bit or reality and deny it.

• Like 1

Obviously I am not a Muslim and there fore not duty bound to protect them from any slurs on their suacidal lack of concern for life practices.

Ergo you had to side with me on this one. And reject my other posts. No surprise there.

Ah, back to normal on your lobotomised rants - well done.

There's a certain irony that after his hotshot son quit the army for fear of being sent to the south now the equally brave Chalerm is to suffer that very fate.

It must be almost enough to make one quit politics altogether........... hopefully.