Living In Fear, Or Live With Fear.

a99az

Living in fear, or live with fear.

The big difference can be seen here.

I could not help but notice the large number of armed guards around the heavy fortified US consulate in Chiang Mai Thailand. Armed guards at the gate and along every wall and corner, security cameras and what have you. The UK consulate near by in stark contrast has no armed guards (that we could see) or heavy defenses, just one or two very nice helpful Thai men who smile and rush to open the door for people.What does it say about the people? Some live in fear and some learn to live with the fear.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

are you privy to whatever information may have lead up to these precautions?

I didn't think so.

"Living in fear, or live with fear.

I could not help but notice the large number of armed guards around the heavy fortified US consulate in Chiang Mai Thailand. Armed guards at the gate and along every wall and corner, security cameras and what have you. The UK consulate near by in stark contrast has no armed guards (that we could see) or heavy defenses, just one or two very nice helpful Thai men who smile and rush to open the door for people.What does it say about the people? Some live in fear and some learn to live with the fear."

I didn't think so.

I could not help but notice the large number of armed guards around the heavy fortified US consulate in Chiang Mai Thailand. Armed guards at the gate and along every wall and corner, security cameras and what have you. The UK consulate near by in stark contrast has no armed guards (that we could see) or heavy defenses, just one or two very nice helpful Thai men who smile and rush to open the door for people.What does it say about the people? Some live in fear and some learn to live with the fear."

Do you mean Americas policy of making friends around the world? Is this the way you get rewarded? Maybe it's time to review your foreign policies.

Edited by a99az

I didn't think so.

And some have no money left in the kitty to pay for protection

I wondered the same thing and posted a similar comment on the Chiang Mai forum a while ago. Unfortunately, when you are (or were) the number one economy in the world there are a LOT of whackos who want to take potshots at you for reasons only their twisted minds can explain. Radical Islamics who hate the US are not just located in Muslim countries. They are everywhere. Because the USA has had more money to throw around than other countries they like to show off with their large, imposing consulates. By contrast, the Canadian consulate is a small building way out on the Ring road somewhere and has one female attendent who may or may not be in attendence on any given week day. I drove right past it 3 times before finding it.

• Like 1

Not sure who the op is referring to as being fearful, please enlighten me/us. Is it the armed guards (not US military personnal), the State Department personal of the Consulant, etc? What some would interpert as fear may be a precaution measure.

I have seen members of the Consulant going about their routine outside in the city, just as normal, so I am not sure that the op's fear assisment/opinion is valid to start with

Edited by slapout

I think Thailand is doing a little tiny bit of guarding itself, way to the South. I think there are attacks and bombings.

I suppose somehow that's the fault of the US.

Godd@m terrorists kill more of their own people than any other, even in Thailand. They are simply bat shit crazy.

I suppose the 2005 London train bombings which killed more than 50 and injured 700 is a sign of how hated worldwide the Brits are?

The 2004 Australian embassy bombing in Jakarta, Indonesia proves how hated worldwide the Australians are?

No, it all just proves that terrorism knows no national boundaries and the the murderers are to blame, not the victims.

Of course there are also bat shit crazy people who blame crime victims. I see that in rape cases, even here.

facebook-2.jpg

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Not sure who the op is referring to as being fearful, please enlighten me/us. Is it the armed guards (not US military personnal), the State Department personal of the Consulant, etc? What some would interpert as fear may be a precaution measure.

I have seen members of the Consulant going about their routine outside in the city, just as normal, so I am not sure that the op's fear assisment/opinion is valid to start with

Well, the US just had 4 people killed at a consulate attack in Benghazi, Libya. There was a LOT of criticism of those who failed to provide protection for that consulate. Maybe the powers that be are just CYAing. Link

• Like 1

I didn't think so.

Do you mean Americas policy of making friends around the world? Is this the way you get rewarded? Maybe it's time to review your foreign policies.

Why of course! How profound! Why didn't anybody in America think of this before?! Thanks so much for your valuable contribution. I wouldn't be surprised if world peace doesn't start first thing tomorrow morning.

PS: Those guards will be removed immediately.

PPS: Would you mind giving North Korea a call. I'm sure they'd love to hear your insights on not having to live in fear anymore.

• Like 2

So what is your point? Was it the Brits that had the embassy taken hostage in Iran? Was it the British embassy burned in Tripoli in 1979? Was it a British embassy bombed and 63 killed in Beirut in 1983? Or Lima Peru in 1990? Or Greece or Syria or Yemen or Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and Nairobi, Kenya, August 7, 1998: The bombings of these two embassies brought the name up the name "Osama Bin Laden" to for the first time. The bombings resulted in over 4,000 people injured and 223 dead.

Throughout the years U.S. embassies all over the world have been targets of protests and violence by terrorist groups and discontented citizens trying to make a point, or just generally cause chaos and mayhem.

http://www.ibtimes.com/us-embassy-attacks-and-bombings-recent-history-782665

There should be a song, "Just another Yank bashing thread......."

Wow, thats a lot of Googling. But I think you got the point.

I wear a seat belt, but I don't consider myself to be driving in fear.

SC

If you make friends around the world, you won't need one.

Because that works so well. The police make friends with the criminals and that stops crime.

The OP uses the Dalai Lama as his profile image but doesn't even seem to know the D.L.s views on the critical importance of promoting Democracy and the D.L's favorite world leader is/was W Bush.

Who gave the D.L. $7 million dollars(>50million in todays $'s) when he had to flee Tibet?

You can't fix stupid

• Like 1

I didn't think so.

Why of course! How profound! Why didn't anybody in America think of this before?! Thanks so much for your valuable contribution. I wouldn't be surprised if world peace doesn't start first thing tomorrow morning.

PPS: Would you mind giving North Korea a call. I'm sure they'd love to hear your insights on not having to live in fear anymore.

Now there is an interesting though!! I wonder what would happen if the American guards that stood staring at there opposite numbers in North Korea. Suddenly just walked away and went back to there barracks. My guess is not much it would take them weeks to come to terms with the fact that we don't care to waste time playing there silly game. How embarrassing for them that they are not treated as a significant threat. De escalate the problem and talk with them, you never know.

• Like 1

What does it say about the people? Some live in fear and some learn to live with the fear.

Just a snide little America bash. Have at it.

Some countries are big and important enough to have enemies and so, not having their heads in the sand, they take precautions to prevent disruption and loss of life. It's not a matter of fear particularly. Other countries are simply insignificant despite their noise, bluster, and once-proud traditions.

BTW, what does the vast number of surveillance cameras in Britain say about the fearless Brits?

At the end of 2006, the UK was described by the Surveillance Studies Network as being 'the most surveilled country' among the industrialized Western states.[5] Although, the report this was based on has since been disputed. The original study states that there are ~4.2m CCTV Cameras in operation in the UK, a new report in 2011 shows that there are actually ~1.85m cameras in operation in the UK,[6] 92% of which, being privately owned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_surveillance#United_Kingdom

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Considering some embassies are targeted for terrorism across the world I think there is no harm in being cautious.

I'm British but I see this as a yank bashing thread. Not even quite sure what the OP is trying to achieve?! coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I didn't think so.

Now there is an interesting though!! I wonder what would happen if the American guards that stood staring at there opposite numbers in North Korea. Suddenly just walked away and went back to there barracks. My guess is not much it would take them weeks to come to terms with the fact that we don't care to waste time playing there silly game. How embarrassing for them that they are not treated as a significant threat. De escalate the problem and talk with them, you never know.

Actually, they are South Korean guards. And they fear getting pulled into North Korea.

I think you mean well. But, this is not the age of aquarius. Evil exists. Get over it.