What To Do In A Car Crash?

I had a small crash the other day. Im not worried about it as it was only a scratch on the car. The guy who swerved from the inside lane in front of me to turn right on his bike came off and had a few scratches. I figured that the damage to my car is only a few hundred baht and I expect to get many bumps like this in the future so ill just forget about it.

I am trying to figure out who was legally in the wrong.

Ive been told - larger vehicle is always in the wrong - so that would be me.

Ive been told - there are no laws regarding overtaking on the inside.

Ive been told - if someone crashes in back of you they are in the wrong.

In this case, bike overtakes on inside, swerves in front of me indicating right and i hit him.

I got a years first class insurance from nissan, I did call them and they werent interested in coming out to see the crash and just told me to bring it in, whenever, for repairs. So im figuring that Ill just wait until ive got loads of bumps and then get them all fixed at the same time.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Undertaking is illegal.

The bigger vehicle is wong is a myth perpetuated by laziness of people and the police.

If you hit someone from behind due to following too close you are in the wrong not if they undertake and swerve across that's just palin dangerous driving, but what's new in Thailand ?

Change your insurance company and get a dash cam.

Yes they certainly try farang is wrong but it's just always the other person whether farang or Thai as very few people in this country will accept responsibility for their actions , but stand your ground and let a decent insurance company deal with it.

Thanks - is the 1 year free, Nissan insurance not good then? I think i will get a dash cam. But id also need a rear cam and a side view cam! What I need to be something like the google car???

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/624072-traffic-cop-loses-face-in-car-video-camera/page-5

See post 102

There is a fundamental problem here in your assuming that logic and law are the determining factors as to who pays for the consequences of road accidents here.

Being at fault may not be completely irrelevant, but it certainly is just one factor taken into account.

The relative connection-to-local-power is usually much more important, as is ability to pay.

Both of which account for why the farang often pays more than the fair share.

This may be a bit less true when insurance companies are involved, but remember they're going to take the word of the official report, and I hope you don't think the idea of "public service" holds much sway here?

Personally if you're talking about any repairs that cost less than say three months' premiums, I'd say don't even mention it to your insurance company, unless you're a short-term resident because of course they're the worst bastards of all.

For long-term residents looking to buy insurance I'd advise getting much lower rates by having a high deductible, as high as say 5% of the car's current value, and saving your claims for the big ones.

I'm pretty sure if you put your savings aside in a little self-insurance account you'll have a decent fund there by the time you're ready to buy your next car. . .

When somebody catches you in the ass you are never wrong because people must be responsible of their vehicle.

Dashcam is a must and if you are very wrong a 1000 Thb notes to the cops might help...

And about insurance I have never heard anything here about first class insurance increasing your premium because yo had an accident ? Does it exist here ?

When somebody catches you in the ass you are never wrong because people must be responsible of their vehicle.

I know a school-van driver that ended up losing his vehicle from the loses incurred when he was rammed from behind, thus lost the ability to feed his family.

Apparently it was the son of a big puyai, the van driver had to share 30% of the cost, apparently he'd "stopped too quickly". No claim of a brake light being out either. . .

Would never fly back home but TiT

Call the insurance firm. Make sure the other guy does the same thing. Unless you are in danger from oncoming traffic stay where you are till the insurance guys come. They chat between themselves to sort out who is liable.

No general need for police involvement.

I think you will find it is similar to the Australians and the bike is always correct and were it to go to court you would be wrong. So don't hit motorbikes.

On a personal note I hope you accelerated when you realised what the bugger was doing. No sense many of these drivers and you are actually doing a public service by crashing into them

On a personal note I hope you accelerated when you realised what the bugger was doing. No sense many of these drivers and you are actually doing a public service by crashing into them

Please don't tell me you are advising him to go around trying to kill Thai motorcyclists ?

The farang is only wrong if he is ....... wrong!
The bigger vehicle is in many cases in the wrong and will end up paying for medical expenses of the 3rd party.

Undertaking is allowed in Thailand if there are more than 2 lanes, but on the other hand: You are not allowed to drive on the right side if there is no need to. (Need = upcoming U-turn, right turn, etc.)

• Like 1

Let the insurance deal with it and ignore the "farang is always wrong" drivel.

Be warned most will try to lie there way out of it, get one of those dash cams and stand firm if they spout bulls**

Motorcycle hit me last week, he broke my tail light only, then told me it was already broken before he hit me so be warned they will lie, anything but actually stand up and say "sorry".

he didnt get away with it though

• Like 1

Undertaking is illegal.

The bigger vehicle is wong is a myth perpetuated by laziness of people and the police.

If you hit someone from behind due to following too close you are in the wrong not if they undertake and swerve across that's just palin dangerous driving, but what's new in Thailand ?

Yes they certainly try farang is wrong but it's just always the other person whether farang or Thai as very few people in this country will accept responsibility for their actions , but stand your ground and let a decent insurance company deal with it.

Thanks - is the 1 year free, Nissan insurance not good then? I think i will get a dash cam. But id also need a rear cam and a side view cam! What I need to be something like the google car???

Unfortunately I have been part of 5 accident while in Thailand, in each case someone hit me (although one of which they pinned on me for being at fault because of a crazy detail in a law). In each and every case my insurance company came out to inspect the damages, take statements, and get the police involved if necessary. If Nissan did not want to send someone out then they are a crappy insurance company and you should get a real one. The best part about insurance companies is that they have your interest at heart, because if you are wrong they need to pay.

• Like 2

Up to my expiriece: Farangs are always wrong.

Faulty thinking I believe. In this country it's the person with less 'connections' that is always wrong. Granted, many foreigners are tourists or haven't been here long so have no connections. But there are many who have.

I was in an accident once when they tried to put the blame on me even though I had a head on collision when I was on the correct side of the road. I called my boss, who was a dean at the local university. When he came not only did was the blame changed to the DTAC driver but he also managed to persuade the chief of police to make the other guy pay me compensation of 30,000 baht, fix my car, and pay for medical treatment. I needed to rent a car for 3 months and his insurance refused to pay for this. As it happened my boss/friend's daughter was married to the local senator/ex-head of police. He had a word with the insurance and they miraculously paid up 60,000 baht.

The first thing to do is phone the insurance and take a photograph. Always keep a camera in the car.

Edited by Neeranam

Undertaking is illegal.

Unfortunately I have been part of 5 accident while in Thailand, in each case someone hit me (although one of which they pinned on me for being at fault because of a crazy detail in a law). In each and every case my insurance company came out to inspect the damages, take statements, and get the police involved if necessary. If Nissan did not want to send someone out then they are a crappy insurance company and you should get a real one. The best part about insurance companies is that they have your interest at heart, because if you are wrong they need to pay.

As said if they don't come out then they aren't very good.

Imagine if you had a crash that wasn't your fault and the other person needed expensive hospital bills and the insurance company won't send anyone out to help you while the Thais team up against you and land you with the hospital bills.

Been in a few minor fender benders here and is always the same...

Call the insurance tell them what happened and they send our one of their agent on a motorcycle

If the other guy has insurance, they do the same

In 2 cases, the other person had insurance, so neither of us did any talking. Both insurance reps took pictures, filled out forms and gave to me to take to the garage for repairs ( free of cost)

In the other 2 cases, the other driver did not have insurance... Once was an old pick up and other time motorcycle

In both cases, insurance sent their rep to the scene

For the old truck, the insurance guy gave the other driver 2 options go to the police station to full out the report or they could pay the insurance guy 2000 thb... They chose to pay insurance guy 2000 thb. Insurance gave us paperwork to get car fixed at the garage ( free of cost)

For the motorcycle, it was pretty much the same ad above, the insurance guy gave the other driver 2 options go to the police station to full out the report or they could pay the insurance guy 1000 thb... They chose to pay insurance guy 1000 thb. Insurance gave us paperwork to get car fixed at the garage ( free of cost)

In each case when calling the insurance company, they advise not to say anything or admit any fault and their rep will come to the scene to sort everything out

So it is really simple... You do not need to say or pay anything...

Just call the insurance company and wait for them to come

If the other person wants to talk, you only have one answer to any question:

"just tell them that your insurance rep is coming and insurance company advised to just wait and say nothing till they arrive and that they can discuss with your insurance company once they arrive"

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Sound advise.. Edited by supaprik

Great advice by CWMcMurray ... thumbsup.gif

As for ...

I think you will find it is similar to the Australians and the bike is
always correct and were it to go to court you would be wrong.

... what a load of <deleted> ... seriously not good advice.

If you are not the cause of the accident stand your ground. I had an accident last year. Wordor decided to do a right turn when he was parked at the ledt side of the road. I was 5m away doing 50kph. My premium went up nearly 30% cos my wife would not stand her ground. We are changing companies.

• Like 1

My Thai Chinese son inlaw who is a solicitor told me Farangs aren't always wrong. When the BIB's move in they consider which party is the richest and muscle in on their share of the action. He told me the ONLY thing to do is phone your insurance company and nothing else. Don't even render assistance to a dying person, When the insurance company representitive arrives at the scene the BIB's will make a quick exit knowing there's nothing for them.

• Like 1

My Thai Chinese son inlaw who is a solicitor told me Farangs aren't always wrong. When the BIB's move in they consider which party is the richest and muscle in on their share of the action. He told me the ONLY thing to do is phone your insurance company and nothing else. Don't even render assistance to a dying person, When the insurance company representitive arrives at the scene the BIB's will make a quick exit knowing there's nothing for them.

We don't need a Thai Chinese solicitor to tell us this - read the previous posts.

My Thai 'baan nawk' brother-in-law who is a seafood salesman and left school at 15 told me similar, although he'd probably not say to not assist a dying person.

Edited by Neeranam

If you wasn't here it wouldn't of happened in the eyes of the law.

If you wasn't here it wouldn't of happened in the eyes of the law.

The only answer to this is, rubbish.
Interesting grammar though, especially from an Englishman. Edited by Neeranam