Anti-government Rally Thread 13-25 March

Jai Dee

These signs in English must be for all those Thai voters who can read English but not Thai.

They are probably aimed at international news services who probably would not use a picture that a majority of their readers could not read.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These signs in English must be for all those Thai voters who can read English but not Thai.

They are probably aimed at international news services who probably would not use a picture that a majority of their readers could not read.

I'm all confused here. These aren't just average Thais making messages for other average Thai voters? It's almost as if someone else gave them these signs. But then why would they care about international media attention instead of votes?

It's as if the sign creators want people who can read English to somehow influence the politics but not by voting....

I'm all confused here. These aren't just average Thais making messages for other average Thai voters? It's almost as if someone else gave them these signs. But then why would they care about international media attention instead of votes?

It's as if the sign creators want people who can read English to somehow influence the politics but not by voting....

The signs have no message for the average Thai voter. They are designed to make it easy for news groups to pick up on what is going on and to bring English speaking people into the fold who may otherwise sit on the sidelines. I'm sure all parties are aware of and using the same tactic. They all care about international media because it helps to exert pressure and to get their idea in front of people who do not normally hear about it. Non Thai signs are normally situated at the front and sides of demonstrations, for better coverage, and not delegated to the back of the line where they will get less attention.

When you see a hostage in Iraq it is normally with an English language paper or a date written in English. If it was in Arabic, non Arabic people would not get the message.

"It's as if the sign creators want people who can read English to somehow influence the politics but not by voting...." You got it now...

Nothing unusual about this in the slightest as people all over the world have been protesting various causes with signs in English, even though their native languages aren't English, since at least the 1960's with the advent of international television news.

eg.

Japan:

Japan.jpg

Brazil:

Brazil.jpg

:o

PM Thaksin declares he will not go on television with the PAD and Opposition but would talk with them behind closed door

The Leader of the Thai Rak Thai Party, Pol. Lt. Gen. Thaksin Shinawatra, has declared he will not go on television with the People's Alliance for Democracy and former Opposition parties, but would talk behind closed doors with an emphasis on solving problems, not staging a fight for people to watch. He added that he would not know what capacity to debate as.

Prime Minister Thaksin spoke on the proposed 3-party debate, saying this would not involve broadcasted discussion but rather a closed-door negotiation, as he did not want to stage a fight for people to watch. He said 3 people will converge, including one from the Thai Rak Thai party, one from the People's Alliance for Democracy, and one from a political party that is not fielding candidates.

Dr. Thaksin said this would to be discussed, as Thais, on collaboratively solving the country's problems and finding a joint solution. He also reiterated that a middleman would not be needed.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 12 March 2006

The Department of Religious Affairs organized a seminar of 350 monks to urge all sectors to follow His Majesty the King’s speech on promoting harmony.

The Department of Religious Affairs organized a seminar of 350 monks at Bawornniwate (วัดบวรนิเวศน์) temple, to urge all sectors to follow His Majesty the King’s speech on promoting harmony and express loyalty to His Majesty on the occasion of His Majesty’s 60th anniversary of accession to the throne.

Abbot of Wat Sra Kaet (วัดสระเกศ) and acting Supreme Patriarch, Somdej Praputtajarn (สมเด็จพระพุฒาจารย์) said that all conflicting parties should think of His Majesty the King and follow his teachings on promoting harmony in society. He said that monks should find ways to teach people to follow Buddhist teachings, asking them to sacrifice for the benefits of society.

Meanwhile, director-general of the Department of Religious Affairs, Preecha Kantiya (ปรีชา กันธิยะ) said that the Department invites the people to participate in the Dharma practices at Puttamonton (พุทธมณฑล). He said that the department had planned a food-giving ceremony to monks at the Royal Plaza tomorrow morning, to dedicate to His Majesty the King.

However, as the People’s Alliance for Democracy plans to March to Government House on the same day, the Department has decided to cancel the ceremony for fear of confusion.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 12 March 2006

Police spokesperson admitted he is concerned about the possible confrontations tomorrow.

Spokesperson of the Royal Thai Police Lieutenant-general Achirawit Supanpesat (อชิรวิทย์ สุพรรณเภสัช) admitted that he is worried about confrontations between Prime Minister’s supporters and the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD), while the police have asked premier’s supporters not to travel to Bangkok.

Lieutenant-general Achirawit said that the police have prepared plans for the PAD’s march tomorrow, but he admitted that he is concerned about possible confrontations between farmer groups supporting the Prime Minister and the PAD. He said that around 4,000 farmers from Northern and Northeastern provinces have traveled to Government House. He said that the police have asked them not to come to Bangkok, but said that they are not blocking the farmers’ attempts to come to Bangkok.

Lieutenant-general Achirawit admitted that the police are in a difficult position, as their words or actions dissatisfy both parties. He insists, however, that the police will work their best to prevent clashes. He said that if clashes occur, the government, the protestors, the opposition parties, and the police must take responsibility.

However, the police spokesperson said that all parties should find the best solution to the current political crisis.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 13 March 2006

Govt will be seen as instigators of violence, if it allows clashes between its supporters and opponents on Tuesday

Spokesperson of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD), Suriyasai Katasila (สุริยะใส กตะศิลา) indicated that the government will provide conditions for violent incidents, if it allows confrontations between protestors supporting and opposing the government

Mr. Suriyasai commented on the premier’s supporters who are traveling to Bangkok and may clash with PAD demonstrators on March 14 that the PAD has coordinated with police officials to keep safety, adding that the PAD’s moves will not be provocative or lead to confrontations. He said that in the past, the PAD has protested peacefully, adding that the PAD has announced clearly that it will march to Government House on this Tuesday. He said that if the government still allows its supporters face opponents, it will be seen as acting as conditions for violence.

In addition, Mr. Suriyasai urged the people who still do not understand the current political conflicts to consider and weigh information from two sides, adding that the PAD is prepared to debate with the government transparently, adding that it is ready to supply information for the people.

People are urged to maintain neutrality amid current political chaos.

A revered monk warns the people to maintain neutrality, amid the current chaotic political situation.

Praraj Thammanitate (พระราชธรรมนิเทศ) or Pra Payom Kalayano (พระพยอม กัลยาโณ), an abbot at Suan Kaew (สวนแก้ว) temple, said that the people should maintain political neutrality, as the current chaotic situation may result in a lapse of judgment if they decide to support any particular party. He added that all parties should stop and remain calm, for the benefits and peace of the general public and the nation.

Pra Payom said that he has canceled his trips to receive food at Government House on March 14, as many parties have said that it will be inappropriate. He said that last night, the government has called to cancel invitations. As for calls by many parties that the premier should ordain to solve the current political crisis, Pra Payom said that it is not a solution to the problem. However, he said that if representatives of the three sides agree to ordain together, the Suan Kaew temple is prepared to welcome them.

Lieutenant-general Achirawit admitted that the police are in a difficult position, as their words or actions dissatisfy both parties. He insists, however, that the police will work their best to prevent clashes. He said that if clashes occur, the government, the protestors, the opposition parties, and the police must take responsibility.

If the Government and the Opposition had half the smarts of Lt-General Achirawit, Thailand would not be in the position it is in at the moment.

"Gosh, Thaksi darling, don't look so sad. Think of all the good times we can have when we move to the Virgin Islands with all that money"

"Daddy, will I be able to take my Ferraris to the Virgin Islands?"

"Quiet Panty, Daddy's thinking about his future."

Sometimes life at the top can be so stressful!

Ran across this and found it an alternate way to look at things.

===========================

Thailand in crisis: An academic debate

By Danny Unger

BANGKOK - Last night I walked by a Bangkok restaurant when the familiar jut of my old friend Professor Somchai's pipe caught my eye. He was seated at a table with three people I took to be his students, foreigners I guessed. I slipped in unobserved and listened in.

"So what do you think of our shiny new constitution and the opposition's commitment to electoral democracy?" Somchai asked.

"I think this [opposition] boycott [of April elections] is outrageous. They know they cannot defeat him [Prime Minister Thaksin

Shinawatra] at the polls, so they turn to treachery. It's the kind of trick of which they accuse the prime minister himself. The opposition doesn't trust rural voters," one young man answered right away

Then, shifting into oratorical mode, he said, "The American political philosopher Thomas Jefferson argued that the people are the safest bulwark against tyranny. If they cannot be trusted, the solution is education, not to deny them a voice.

"Remember, [Thai academic] Anek [Laothamatas] wrote over 10 years ago about the two Thailands. His solution to vote-buying and all that was to make the rural poor rich, to make them modern. That's Thaksin's way. And that seems to be what the rural poor want. They support him. Thaksin does not try to deny them a voice. He wants to make them rich. He wants them to go into business, to go into debt, to be entrepreneurial. He wants to shrink the gap between the urban and rural economies. I can respect that. But this boycott looks to me really cowardly and dishonest."

"Well, Kazuo," said Tunren, another student, "he did get them to go into debt, but I'm not sure that was doing them a big favor. But I must admit that I, too, am uncomfortable with this boycott. I believe that Thailand needs strong institutions that do not depend on the leadership of exceptional individuals. It needs rule of law. And I think that the opposition in Thailand must be honest that they are resorting to a boycott because they cannot beat the [ruling] Thai Rak Thai at the polls.

"But then we must ask ourselves, why do they have no hope of contesting these elections? It isn't only the early date set by the Election Commission, or even all the money that the prime minister has ready to spend, especially now that he has sold Shin Corporation [Thaksin's family sold the business for US$1.85 billion]."

"You mean all the money that his kids now have to spend, don't you Tunren?" interjected Somchai, to the group's merriment.

Tunren continued, "The real point, I think, is the government's control over the broadcast media. The opposition is shut out from communicating with voters. Should we condemn a boycott of elections when free and fair political competition is impossible? So, I feel, what choice does the opposition really have? But then again, even if elections really were completely free and fair, I suspect Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party might win.

"And yet, to argue the other side again, we have to admit that if there was any kind of independent check on executive power, Thaksin would long since have been driven from power."

"But Tunren, I thought you were a great admirer of our constitution," Somchai noted.

"I was, professor. And I am, but the point is that the constitution was the culmination, or so I thought, of a process that had started five or six years earlier. Today, the prime minister is undermining the intent of the charter, of the entire process over those years. He has destroyed, or is threatening to destroy, the progress that was made."

"But if the constitution was intended," Somchai broke in, "to bring about party-based political competition, can you really be so critical of what Mr Thaksin has accomplished?"

"Is this really party-based politics, or is it personality-based politics? Thaksin is no Lee Kwan Yew [former Singaporean leader]," replied Tunren, "or even a [Malaysian] Mahathir Mohamad. The PAP [People's Action Party] is still strong after Lee has left, and UMNO [united Malays National Organization] survived Mahathir's retirement, but when Thaksin goes, Thai Rak Thai's 18 million [members] will disappear overnight."

"I'm sure the prime minister would be flattered by the comparisons," Somchai said.

"But I mean to emphasize the differences," said Tunren. "Lee and Mahathir had long-term national goals, but can we say that about Thaksin? His leadership concepts are all about management and business, mostly his own it seems. Does he have any social or political vision? Does he even know his country's history? When those people he disdains were opposing dictatorship in Thailand in 1973 and 1992, where was he?"

Somchai turned to the third student, "And Ingrid, what do you think? Are you with the prime minister or his opponents?"

"Neither," she quickly replied. "I am happy the prime minister talks about the poor, but what brought me here was all the talk in Thailand of local wisdom and community culture. The prime minister seems not very familiar with these concepts. Instead, the prime minister wants the poor to go into debt, to embrace globalization. But are his opponents any better? I don't know what they stand for, other than getting rid of Thaksin."

"Well," Somchai said, "let me turn to another question. What do you think of the quality of our recent political debate?"

Tunren spoke up. "I've been impressed with the weekly [anti-Thaksin] demonstrations. People generally seem so earnest and everything has been orderly. The police seem to be quite disciplined. The decision to boycott the elections seems to have been made reluctantly, with some appreciation of its gravity."

"All good, then?" asked the professor.

"I don't much care for the way the Thaksin haters adopt the pose of 'My enemy's enemy is my friend'. They are ready to embrace [media mogul] Sondhi [Limthongkul] now, though he does not seem to be particularly democratic," offered Kazuo.

"Professor, what do you think?" Ingrid asked.

"Ah, I must confess to being confused. As a veteran of many battles for the right to vote in elections, I'm not happy with this boycott decision. And I worry that we Thais are not being as honest with ourselves as we should be. I wonder if we need to reflect on our problems more deeply instead of personalizing them entirely, assuming that Thaksin is the beginning and the end of our troubles."

"Well, professor," Ingrid asked again, "what will you do? What should good Thai people with experience and wisdom be doing today?"

"I'm afraid that question is too difficult for me," the professor sighed. "The [opposition] Democrats and others should recognize that they gave the prime minister his opportunities by failing to engage rural voters. No amount of tinkering with the constitution will be enough to address our problems if the political challenge is not faced, if we don't have more than one man who is successful in talking with the majority of our citizens.

"We should show the prime minister the door. But we also should thank him for this one valuable lesson: that we must shape our political community to embrace all of us. Through policy and through rhetoric, he has convinced the rural poor that he is their champion. If we don't all convince the poor that the system, not just Thaksin, will work for them, well, then, why should we stop with Article 107? [A clause that requires all parliamentary candidates to belong to a political party for at least 90 days prior to a general election.]

"We might just as well require that people have a university degree to vote, not only to run for parliament. We cannot have a healthy political system if the good guys do not believe they have the means of winning the support of the majority among us."

Danny Unger is a professor of political science specializing in Thai Studies at Northern Illinois University. He is currently on sabbatical as a visiting professor at Bangkok's Thammasat University.

Asia Times Online feature

Nothing unusual about this in the slightest

I'll agree with John on this. It's actually good planning on someones part.

I was being sarcastic. It's great planning. What worries me is that there is a democratic process here and the opposition seems to want to shortcut that, by not participating in the election and trying to get outside pressure involved. Maybe I'd agree with their position, but they haven't done a good job explaining what they're offering that's different. And more importantly, they haven't done a good job selling it to the people who matter, which are the Thai voters.

Why do you think that paticipating in rigged elections is a democratic process for removing crooks and criminals from public offices? The issues raised against Taksin cannot be addressed through ballot boxes - they belong to National Counter Corruption Commission, Anti Money Laundering Office, and, ultimately, Constitution Court.

Come to think of it, if back in 2001 the Constitution Court didn't get swayed by popular mandate but upholded Constitution first, none of these issues - conflict of interests, abuse of power etc. etc. would even exist. Taksin would still be managing his AIS, and if he wanted to sell it no one would say a word.

At least one of the judges sitting in that court publicly admitted that he based his verdict not on constitution but on election resuslts. This is not right. Populism shouldn't stay above the law, above the Constitution itself. Now see where it brought us.

In today's letters section in the Nation there's an interesting thought - Al Capone could have won the elections if he had decided to run for his neighbourhood.

>>>>>

While you can blame it on the system, or even on all Thai electorate, but the main problem lies with Taksin personally. It would be extremely difficult to pull the same trick for anyone else.

It doesn't matter who is in the next governement, as long as it's not Taksin. Democrats will have a fair shot at the elections, and TRT might still win, but without Taksin it might disintegrate overnight and lose patronage power. Then media will catch up on all those Taksin stories they couldn't publish until now. Then senators will assert their independence from the government, then courts will assert their independence, then independent agencies will get restaffed. Then we might have a functioning democracy.

No matter what the future holds, it can't get any worse than the current shenanigans - people standing for elections for parties they never heard of, and when they want to resign they can't, because they don't know where their party offices are!

Ran across this and found it an alternate way to look at things.

===========================

Thailand in crisis: An academic debate

By Danny Unger

BANGKOK - Last night I walked by a Bangkok restaurant when the familiar jut of my old friend Professor Somchai's pipe caught my eye. He was seated at a table with three people I took to be his students, foreigners I guessed. I slipped in unobserved and listened in.

"So what do you think of our shiny new constitution and the opposition's commitment to electoral democracy?" Somchai asked.

"I think this [opposition] boycott [of April elections] is outrageous. They know they cannot defeat him [Prime Minister Thaksin

Shinawatra] at the polls, so they turn to treachery. It's the kind of trick of which they accuse the prime minister himself. The opposition doesn't trust rural voters," one young man answered right away

Then, shifting into oratorical mode, he said, "The American political philosopher Thomas Jefferson argued that the people are the safest bulwark against tyranny. If they cannot be trusted, the solution is education, not to deny them a voice.

"Remember, [Thai academic] Anek [Laothamatas] wrote over 10 years ago about the two Thailands. His solution to vote-buying and all that was to make the rural poor rich, to make them modern. That's Thaksin's way. And that seems to be what the rural poor want. They support him. Thaksin does not try to deny them a voice. He wants to make them rich. He wants them to go into business, to go into debt, to be entrepreneurial. He wants to shrink the gap between the urban and rural economies. I can respect that. But this boycott looks to me really cowardly and dishonest."

"Well, Kazuo," said Tunren, another student, "he did get them to go into debt, but I'm not sure that was doing them a big favor. But I must admit that I, too, am uncomfortable with this boycott. I believe that Thailand needs strong institutions that do not depend on the leadership of exceptional individuals. It needs rule of law. And I think that the opposition in Thailand must be honest that they are resorting to a boycott because they cannot beat the [ruling] Thai Rak Thai at the polls.

"But then we must ask ourselves, why do they have no hope of contesting these elections? It isn't only the early date set by the Election Commission, or even all the money that the prime minister has ready to spend, especially now that he has sold Shin Corporation [Thaksin's family sold the business for US$1.85 billion]."

"You mean all the money that his kids now have to spend, don't you Tunren?" interjected Somchai, to the group's merriment.

Tunren continued, "The real point, I think, is the government's control over the broadcast media. The opposition is shut out from communicating with voters. Should we condemn a boycott of elections when free and fair political competition is impossible? So, I feel, what choice does the opposition really have? But then again, even if elections really were completely free and fair, I suspect Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party might win.

"And yet, to argue the other side again, we have to admit that if there was any kind of independent check on executive power, Thaksin would long since have been driven from power."

"But Tunren, I thought you were a great admirer of our constitution," Somchai noted.

"I was, professor. And I am, but the point is that the constitution was the culmination, or so I thought, of a process that had started five or six years earlier. Today, the prime minister is undermining the intent of the charter, of the entire process over those years. He has destroyed, or is threatening to destroy, the progress that was made."

"But if the constitution was intended," Somchai broke in, "to bring about party-based political competition, can you really be so critical of what Mr Thaksin has accomplished?"

"Is this really party-based politics, or is it personality-based politics? Thaksin is no Lee Kwan Yew [former Singaporean leader]," replied Tunren, "or even a [Malaysian] Mahathir Mohamad. The PAP [People's Action Party] is still strong after Lee has left, and UMNO [united Malays National Organization] survived Mahathir's retirement, but when Thaksin goes, Thai Rak Thai's 18 million [members] will disappear overnight."

"I'm sure the prime minister would be flattered by the comparisons," Somchai said.

"But I mean to emphasize the differences," said Tunren. "Lee and Mahathir had long-term national goals, but can we say that about Thaksin? His leadership concepts are all about management and business, mostly his own it seems. Does he have any social or political vision? Does he even know his country's history? When those people he disdains were opposing dictatorship in Thailand in 1973 and 1992, where was he?"

Somchai turned to the third student, "And Ingrid, what do you think? Are you with the prime minister or his opponents?"

"Neither," she quickly replied. "I am happy the prime minister talks about the poor, but what brought me here was all the talk in Thailand of local wisdom and community culture. The prime minister seems not very familiar with these concepts. Instead, the prime minister wants the poor to go into debt, to embrace globalization. But are his opponents any better? I don't know what they stand for, other than getting rid of Thaksin."

"Well," Somchai said, "let me turn to another question. What do you think of the quality of our recent political debate?"

Tunren spoke up. "I've been impressed with the weekly [anti-Thaksin] demonstrations. People generally seem so earnest and everything has been orderly. The police seem to be quite disciplined. The decision to boycott the elections seems to have been made reluctantly, with some appreciation of its gravity."

"All good, then?" asked the professor.

"I don't much care for the way the Thaksin haters adopt the pose of 'My enemy's enemy is my friend'. They are ready to embrace [media mogul] Sondhi [Limthongkul] now, though he does not seem to be particularly democratic," offered Kazuo.

"Professor, what do you think?" Ingrid asked.

"Ah, I must confess to being confused. As a veteran of many battles for the right to vote in elections, I'm not happy with this boycott decision. And I worry that we Thais are not being as honest with ourselves as we should be. I wonder if we need to reflect on our problems more deeply instead of personalizing them entirely, assuming that Thaksin is the beginning and the end of our troubles."

"Well, professor," Ingrid asked again, "what will you do? What should good Thai people with experience and wisdom be doing today?"

"I'm afraid that question is too difficult for me," the professor sighed. "The [opposition] Democrats and others should recognize that they gave the prime minister his opportunities by failing to engage rural voters. No amount of tinkering with the constitution will be enough to address our problems if the political challenge is not faced, if we don't have more than one man who is successful in talking with the majority of our citizens.

"We should show the prime minister the door. But we also should thank him for this one valuable lesson: that we must shape our political community to embrace all of us. Through policy and through rhetoric, he has convinced the rural poor that he is their champion. If we don't all convince the poor that the system, not just Thaksin, will work for them, well, then, why should we stop with Article 107? [A clause that requires all parliamentary candidates to belong to a political party for at least 90 days prior to a general election.]

"We might just as well require that people have a university degree to vote, not only to run for parliament. We cannot have a healthy political system if the good guys do not believe they have the means of winning the support of the majority among us."

Danny Unger is a professor of political science specializing in Thai Studies at Northern Illinois University. He is currently on sabbatical as a visiting professor at Bangkok's Thammasat University.

Asia Times Online feature

This is a great piece of writing from Danny Unger. And it appears to be in the style of that childrens story book - "Sophie's World" - which chronicles the history of philosophy.

The last three paragraphs, in particular, say it all:

1. "....that we must shape our political community to embrace all of us."

2. "We cannot have a healthy political system if the good guys do not believe they have the means of winning the support of the majority among us."

Protesters may face test by Mother Nature

Anti-government protesters planning to camp out at Sanam Luang throughout the night may face a tough test of their determination by Mother Nature Monday night when the Meteorological Department warned of a big tropical storm.

The department announced Monday that a tropical storm would unleash heavy rains and hails in most parts of Bangkok Monday night.

The department said the storm had been influenced by a high pressure ride from China which had moved down to be over the eastern part of northeastern region of Thailand.

Thai security official warns of state of emergency if demo turns violent

Thailand could declare a state of emergency in Bangkok if any violence mars Monday's protest calling for Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to quit, a senior security official said.

"If they destroy state property or burn government buildings, we will announce a state of emergency, beginning by imposing a curfew," a senior official at the National Intelligence Agency told reporters.

"If the situation grows too severe for government officials to control it, the authorities will be authorised to arrest protest leaders," he said.

The official spoke as protesters prepared a new rally to demand that Thaksin resign over allegations of corruption and abuse of power, while the prime minister's supporters were marching from the countryside to show their strength in Bangkok.

Declaring a state of emergency requires a council of ministers, comprising Thaksin's closest advisers, to request the prime minister to sign a special decree.

A state of emergency would give authorities broad powers to detain suspects for up to 30 days without charge, search and arrest without warrants, and tap phones, among other actions.

Source: The Nation - 13 Feb 2006

The lengths to which Thaksin will go to silence his critics knows no bounds.

Bribing and corrupting Mother Nature? How despicable... Has this man no shame at all??? :D

How many tons of longans in barter trade were sent to China to be part of this deal? :o

Anti-government protesters planning to camp out at Sanam Luang throughout the night may face a tough test of their determination by Mother Nature Monday night when the Meteorological Department warned of a big tropical storm.

The department announced Monday that a tropical storm would unleash heavy rains and hails in most parts of Bangkok Monday night.

The department said the storm had been influenced by a high pressure ride from China which had moved down to be over the eastern part of northeastern region of Thailand.

-TN

*edit* 20 bonus points awarded to Jai Dee for posting this 2 minutes before I finished.

Edited by sriracha john

Traffic Police Commander confirms the traffic will not be blocked during the movement of the rally to the Govt. house

Traffic Police Commander Phanu Kerdlapphol (ภาณุ เกิดลาภผล) has confirmed that the traffic congestion will not be blocked during the movement of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) to the Government House. He added that the agriculturists who support Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will be obstructed, to prevent the confrontation between the two parties.

Metropolitan Police Bureau Commissioner Viroj Chantharangsee (วิโรจน์ จันทรังษี) presided over the meeting to lay out security measures for the demonstration of PAD who will march to the Government House today at 16.00 hours. However, the details of the meeting have not been revealed.

Maj. Gen. Phanu disclosed the measures to facilitate motorists during the movement of the rally. He said 200 officials have been instructed to station at the junctions around Ratcha Dumnern (ราชดำเนิน), in order evaluate the situation and facilitate the motorists.

However, he said related agencies will inform commuters to avoid using the nearby routes if a large amount of people join the rally which could cause traffic problems.

As for the movement of the pro-Thaksin agriculturists who will be traveling to Bangkok today, Maj. Gen. Phanu said they will be requested to remain within one area, to prevent possible confrontation of both parties.

Moreover, the Traffic Police Commander will call for a meeting with related agencies to reiterate all the plans once again.

Members of the PAD have started gathering at Sanam Luang in preparation for the rally

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) has now started gathering at Sanam Luang(สนามหลวง) for the rally. Core leaders of the PAD have invited employees of CP Tower to join the protest tomorrow.

People participating in the demonstration are currently traveling to Sanam Luang for the planned rally tomorrow. Equipments including loud speakers, amplifiers are already installed to accommodate the mega rally.

Reports stated that protestors from Kongthap Dharma Foundation (กองทัพธรรมมูลนิธิ) of Maj. Gen. Chamlong Srimuang (จำลอง ศรีเมือง) are already at the venue waiting for other protestors.

PAD leaders such as Mr. Somsak Kosaisuk(สมศักดิ์ โกสัยสุข) and Ms. Rosana Tositrakul(รสนา โตสิตระกูล) have traveled to CP Tower at Silom Road. They have urged employees to halt their office work and join the protest at the Government House.

As for the security measures, police officers and municipal officials are stationed at Sanam Luang to ensure safety during the rally.

Thai King's TV Re-run Seen as Message to Thaksin (Update1)

March 13 (Bloomberg) -- Thai state television yesterday interrupted programming to show footage of the king intervening in a 1992 uprising, a move seen by many as a message to the premier and his rivals to hold talks to resolve a standoff.

In the broadcast, King Bhumibol Adulyadej tells then- military ruler General Suchinda Kraprayoon and protest leader Chamlong Srimuang to end the political crisis peacefully through talks. Suchinda resigned after the broadcast.

Thailand's opposition parties are boycotting snap elections called by Thaksin for April 2. Thaksin, who had faced increasing demands for his resignation over a number of issues, dissolved parliament and organized the polls after the sale of his family's stake in a Thai telecommunications company to a Singapore government fund sparked further controversy.

``The broadcast of the king's speech was probably a good attempt by responsible people who want all groups to use peaceful and non-violent means to end the crisis,'' Interior Minister Kongsak Wanthana said today on Channel 9 network. ``Talks among all groups is the best way to end this current crisis,'' he said.

Military executives at army-run Channel 5, which broadcast the feed, didn't answer repeated calls today. Military-owned radio, including 98 FM, today replaced some scheduled programming with nationalistic songs praising the king.

The broadcast is ``a very pointed act,'' said Chris Baker, author of `Thaksin: The Business Of Politics In Thailand,' which would be ``quite dangerous'' for Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to ignore. He said it was ``very clear'' that the prime minister and the opposition were being told to end their standoff. ``I would expect something to happen quite soon.''

Boycott

The palace wouldn't comment or respond directly to questions on whether it was behind the unexpected broadcast.

``Everything is going well, there is no reason to have troubles,'' Keokhwan Vajarodaya, the Lord Chamberlain, the most senior official of the Bureau of the Royal Household, told reporters today. ``Thais love peace.''

Anti-Thaksin activist groups, under the loosely connected People's Alliance for Democracy, have staged nightly protests demanding Thaksin steps down. A large march on Government House is planned for tomorrow morning. The compound houses Thaksin's offices and many of his ministers, who will be in a cabinet meeting.

Sondhi Limthongkul, one of the anti-Thaksin alliance leaders, yesterday told a rally the broadcast was a message that Thaksin must resign, the Nation reported.

`Black May'

The prime minister has not yet commented on the broadcast. He and top aides are meeting in Bangkok now.

In the May 1992 uprising, known as `Black May,' at least 43 protesters died when soldiers loyal to Suchinda opened fire on them. Chamlong led the uprising to oust the military leader, who had taken power in a coup a year earlier.

King Bhumibol summoned Suchinda and Chamlong to the palace and allowed television cameras to broadcast nationwide as he lectured the opponents to end their conflict peacefully. The two rivals kneeled before the king as he spoke.

``The current crisis is not only affecting people in Bangkok, but also the whole country,'' the king said then. ``Assume that Bangkok is damaged. The whole country will also be damaged. Nobody can claim the victory on the rubble of the country.''

Royal video bolsters calls for talks as Thailand braces for new

protest

by Griffin Shea

BANGKOK, March 13, 2006 (AFP) - Opponents of Thai Prime Minister

Thaksin Shinawatra prepared another mass rally Monday calling for

him to quit, as an unusual television broadcast of the king

bolstered calls for compromise.

With political tensions rising, major television channels late

Sunday re-broadcast a speech given by revered King Bhumibol

Adulyadej in 1992, when he urged the then-military government and

pro-democracy protesters to negotiate a settlement and avoid

violence.

"Turn to each other and do not confront each other to solve the

problem," the king said in the video, which has never been shown in

full since the bloody uprising that forced the military-backed

premier to resign.

The leader of those protests, Chamlong Srimuang, has joined the

movement to oust Thaksin.

Although officials would not say who authorized the prime-time

broadcast, the video was widely seen as a message from the king,

whose adviser last week called for talks to end the crisis quickly

and peacefully.

"The speech was a signal to warn all the parties involved in the

current situation. The government wants to bring back peace so we

need to talk to each other," Thailand's top security official,

Deputy Prime Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya told reporters early

Monday.

But Sondhi Limthongkul, a key leader of the current protest

movement, told his supporters late Sunday that the speech was a

message for Thaksin to resign.

"The real meaning of the king's message is that Thaksin must

resign," Sondhi told a group of his supporters as they held a vigil

ahead of Monday's protest.

"We face the same situation (as in 1992) at the moment. The

difference is that we are now fighting a political dictatorship, not

a military one."

Sondhi and his People's Alliance for Democracy, a loose

coalition of anti-Thaksin groups, plan to gather from about 6:00 pm

(1100 GMT) in a field near the royal palace in central Bangkok.

They say they will hold an all-night rally before marching on

Thaksin's office during his weekly cabinet meeting Tuesday morning.

Meanwhile thousands of Thaksin's supporters, mainly poor

farmers, were also heading to Bangkok for their own rally Tuesday.

Keenly aware of the potential for clashes, police said they

would create a space for Thaksin's supporters to hold their rally

near one of Bangkok's main bus terminals, far from the royal palace

and Government House.

The military-backed premier who resigned in 1992, Suchinda

Kraprayoon, added his voice Monday to the calls for Thaksin and his

critics to negotiate a solution to the crisis.

He told the Thai-language Post Today newspaper that an

independent mediator should hold talks between the two sides.

Political analyst Thitinan Pongsudhirak said the king's

broadcast was a "significant" development in the crisis that began

more than seven weeks ago, when Thaksin's family sold its nearly

50-percent stake in telecom Shin Corp to a Singapore investment

firm.

"It's a signal that we should not reach a situation like 1992

again. This is a call for dialogue and a compromise," he said.

Simmering criticism of Thaksin's autocratic style exploded in

late January, when his family earned 1.9 billion dollars off the

Shin Corp deal, which used legal loopholes to avoid paying tax.

Protesters accusing him of corruption and abuse of power have

held weekly rallies since February 4.

But the premier is believed to enjoy widespread support among

rural Thais who have benefited from his populist policies.

Thaksin called snap elections for April 2 in a bid to defuse the

crisis, but the opposition are boycotting the polls, threatening to

worsen the political turmoil.

str-shi/gs/ras/mtp

AFP 130535 GMT MAR 06

Thai security official warns of state of emergency if demo turns

violent

BANGKOK, March 13, 2006 (AFP) - Thailand could declare a state

of emergency in Bangkok if any violence mars Monday's protest

calling for Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to quit, a senior

security official said.

"If they destroy state property or burn government buildings, we

will announce a state of emergency, beginning by imposing a curfew,"

a senior official at the National Intelligence Agency told

reporters.

"If the situation grows too severe for government officials to

control it, the authorities will be authorised to arrest protest

leaders," he said.

The official spoke as protesters prepared a new rally to demand

that Thaksin resign over allegations of corruption and abuse of

power, while the prime minister's supporters were marching from the

countryside to show their strength in Bangkok.

Declaring a state of emergency requires a council of ministers,

comprising Thaksin's closest advisers, to request the prime minister

to sign a special decree.

A state of emergency would give authorities broad powers to

detain suspects for up to 30 days without charge, search and arrest

without warrants, and tap phones, among other actions.

An emergency declaration would also give security forces broad

immunity from prosecution.

str/gs/mtp

Thai protesters seeking premier's resignation gear up for

new week of street marches

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) _ Thai police heightened security

in the capital Bangkok on Monday, putting 20,000 officers

on standby, ahead of a mass rally planned by protesters

seeking the resignation of Prime Minister Thaksin

Shinawatra. Organizers of the anti-Thaksin rally were

hoping as many as 100,000 people would be prepared to camp

through the night at a Bangkok park ahead of an early

Tuesday march to Thaksin's office, Government House, a few

kilometers (miles) away. Metropolitan Police spokesman Col.

Pinit Maneerat said police had received reports of Thaksin

supporters planning their own rally in Bangkok, stirring

concerns of a standoff between the opposing camps. «Police

are well prepared to keep peace and order,» Pinit said.

«We will do our best to prevent any confrontations.» Tens

of thousands of protesters have been demanding Thaksin's

resignation in regular weekend rallies, accusing the

tycoon-turned-politician of corruption, mishandling a

Muslim insurgency in southern Thailand, stifling the media,

and allowing cronies to reap gains from state policies.

130630 mar 06GMT

Chiang Mai's sex workers to join anti-Thaksin rally

Chiang Mai - A group of sex workers in this northern city head to Bangkok Monday evening to join the protest against Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra outside Government House.

Pikul Srikhamsaw, a field official of the Empower Foundation, which fights for the rights of sex workers, said the Chiang Mai sex workers would finance their own expense for travelling to Bangkok to join the protest.

She said the Chiang Mai sex workers would join representatives of sex workers from Phuket and Patpong to participate in the protest.

Chiang Mai's sex workers to join anti-Thaksin rally

Chiang Mai - A group of sex workers in this northern city head to Bangkok Monday evening to join the protest against Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra outside Government House.

Pikul Srikhamsaw, a field official of the Empower Foundation, which fights for the rights of sex workers, said the Chiang Mai sex workers would finance their own expense for travelling to Bangkok to join the protest.

She said the Chiang Mai sex workers would join representatives of sex workers from Phuket and Patpong to participate in the protest.

No worries - sure they can prob make some dosh at the rally(s)!! :o

Police beef up security at Government House

Hundreds of policemen have been deployed to tighten security at Government ahead of a protest against Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Tuesday.

Several companies of policemen from the Police Region 1 Bureau were deployed to Government House Monday afternoon.

Sources from the People's Alliance for Democracy said protesters would surround Government House indefinitely until Thaksin agrees to resign. They said the PAD would block all entrances to Government House except the one on the side of Education Ministry, which would be opened to officials and reporters.

Thailand: More than 5,000 rally in Bangkok to call for PM

Thaksin's resignation

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) _ Police increased security in the

Thai capital Monday, putting 20,000 officers on standby on

the eve of a mass rally by protesters calling for Prime

Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's resignation. Organizers of

the anti-Thaksin rally hoped as many as 100,000 people

would camp through the night at a Bangkok park ahead of an

early Tuesday march to Thaksin's office at Government

House, a few kilometers away. By Monday evening, more than

5,000 people had joined the rally, vowing to continue their

peaceful protest until Thaksin agrees to step down.

Farmers, teachers and thousands of state employees opposed

to Thaksin's rule were traveling to the capital to take

part in the rally, organizers said. Thaksin supporters,

meanwhile, planned their own rally in the capital to show

support for the prime minister. By Monday evening, a few

hundred people had turned out for the pro-Thaksin event at

a Bangkok bus station, far from the opposing rally near the

royal palace. Metropolitan Police spokesman Col. Pinit

Maneerat said police were bracing for a late night, amid

concerns of a standoff between the opposing camps.

131201 mar 06GMT

Anti-Thaksin protesters rally on Silom Road

Anti-government protesters Monday rallied on Silom Road, the main thoroughfare in the central business district, calling on office workers to join in today's demonstration at Government House to oust caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The rally was organised by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) and took place in front of the Charoen Pokphand Group building, as a symbolic gesture to highlight the boycott of goods and services from CP and Shin Corp, seen as close to Thaksin.

"Office workers should unite and stop work for one day in order to salvage the nation dominated by the capitalist dictatorial regime," protest organiser Somsak Kosaisuk said.

Somsak urged workers to participate in the march from Sanam Luang to Government House. Crowds of people will muster today at the rallying point at 6am and begin marching at 7am, he said.

Other protest leaders, Rosana Tositrakul and Salee Ongsomwang, urged mobile phone users to return SIM cards provided by Advanced Info Service Co, a subsidiary of Shin Corp.

Many civic groups agreed to join the boycott of AIS mobile phone services, Salee said. These included the FTA Watch Group, a dentists association and the Bo Nok environmental conservation group.

A government supporter, Chaiwut Aksornsit distributed flyers urging people to vote in the April 2 election in a bid to counter the anti-Thaksin protest.