Laptops With Ubuntu Preinstalled - The Easy Way To Try Linux!

BugJackBaron

I have noticed that in many stores there are always some laptops - often in the 13000 -18000 baht midrange -

that have Ubuntu as the default OS.

So if you are in the market for a laptop(I think I've seen Toshiba doing this) and want an easy way to play

with linux, why not buy one of these?

What models have you seen with linux preinstalled?

Ubuntu is very, very easy to install as fresh install on any laptop just using their downloaded file burned onto a CD. I find Linux Mint to be even easier than Ubuntu, but it's really a matter of taste or minor preferences and tweaks, either one is simply great to use as well as easy to install.

Would also suggest that a live-cd/usb is the easiest way to try Linux on any machine.

But, that said, a follow on install on some recent Samsung laptops would warrant some Googling. (Also, discussed on a recent TV thread.)

FWIW, a Puppy Linux live-cd has been used for several years on the guesthouse computers. The OS loads into memory each startup, and persistence is maintained via a file on the harddrive. The persistence file can also be located on a USB flashdrive - obviating the need for a harddrive.

Cheers