Thai Health Ministry Considering Plan To Force Foreign Tourists To Buy Insurance

webfact

The Thai government should offer government insurance as a BUY IN option for expats. If so, then it would fair to require this of all expats, maybe even put all expats in that one program to level out the risk pool. Otherwise, yes all uninsurables will have to leave, and it's a lot more people than you think.

Talking here about long term expat health insurance which the OP really isn't about, its about short term travel insurance. But someone else brought it up and it is related.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, usually if you pay your ticket with a credit card , there is always an insurance included no ? How can they impose to tourists any insurance ? non sense but I agree on the principle , Thailand doesn't have to pay for those who cannot afford to pay medical expenses here. I said it before , those coming on tourist visa can have a proof of insurance when applying for visa. Thais must give this insurance when they travel to Europe. I also need a special insurance when I travel in some countries.

Credit cards do not all insure and it is worth a look at just what they do insure. Thais and others do not need insurance to travel to Europe only to get a schengen visa. I am not having a go, just a couple of replies to your points.

but if all Thais need a schengen visa to visit mot of Europe - then be default they need insurance? no?

It's a joke and a scam. About 8 years ago I had an insurance with insure and go. I planed on staying for 6 months and I had insurance cover. After 2 months of been here I found out I had a tumor, the insurance company, insure and go, told me I had to fly back to the UK to get treat meant even with a doctor's note advising me not to fly they would not cover me. The tumor was the size off an orange, helped by the fact a local Doctor put me on antibiotic for 3 weeks, when the must you should take them for is one week. Anyway in the end the insurance company stopped answering my email's so I paid for it out off my own pocket as no hospital here that I know off would treat anyone that can not pay. So how is having an insurance going to make a difference.

It's easy enough to do. When you arrive in the country you have to show a copy of your insurance policy along with your passport. If you don't have insurance you have to buy a standard policy nominated by the government (eg Somchai's Health and Jetski insurance Co.) or else you are refused entry.

The Thai government should offer government insurance as a BUY IN option for expats. If so, then it would fair to require this of all expats. Otherwise, yes all uninsurables will have to leave, and it's a lot more people than you think.

Try and buy insurance here if you are over 59 - it ain't happening.

• Like 2

A tax will affect everyone, including the many tourists who already have a travel/health insurance. They will in effect end up paying for insurance twice. And no, it is not practically possible to adjust taxes individually depending on who has a travel insurance already.

Since tourists already pay taxes, more tourists will mean more taxes, and therefore more money to pay for EMC for tourists who can't pay on their own. My guess is the hotel tax paid by tourists already covers the mentioned EMC many times over.

"The problem is becoming particularly acute in the face of a rapidly aging [Thai] population who will demand more and more costly government care as they grow old"

It sounds once again like the real plan is to get the tourists to pay for the elderly Thais, thereby avoiding raising taxes for Thais and thereby upsetting voters. Nothing wrong with this plan. The government can implement any tax they like. They should however remember that an increase in hotel and flight prices will make a proportional number of tourists go elsewhere.

The Thai government should offer government insurance as a BUY IN option for expats. If so, then it would fair to require this of all expats. Otherwise, yes all uninsurables will have to leave, and it's a lot more people than you think.

Try and buy insurance here if you are over 59 - it ain't happening.

Or if you have common preexisting conditions like medically treated high blood pressure. You might get a policy but it will exclude all heart related conditions. That's why I think if it does come to the Thai government requiring health insurance for expats, the fair thing is to facilitate that such insurance will actually be SOLD to all expats!

A number of countries that have retirement visa programs DO have schemes to include expats in health care programs, with BUY IN options a typical solution.

Edited by Jingthing

It's easy enough to do. When you arrive in the country you have to show a copy of your insurance policy along with your passport. If you don't have insurance you have to buy a standard policy nominated by the government (eg Somchai's Health and Jetski insurance Co.) or else you are refused entry.

Disagree, take the money where the cost is in Thailand, too many insurances with a longer list of exemptions than treatments accepted and people just don't read the small print. Pay at the door is in the best interests of Thailand and if implemented correctly would be a better option for the tourist. You pay you get treatment. Ex- pats pay on visa renewal.

Edited by 473geo

So as it stands now, if a tourist requires medical attention but has no means to pay for it, they sign an IOU?

How does it work if they dont pay up?

They're screwed.

Many won't get the treatment in the first place.

If they got treatment, there are cases of people being held prisoner at hospitals, and yes, racking up more daily room charges!

Edited by Jingthing

Can anybody remember the last time they went to a so called "public" hospital and was reasonably charged?

Yes a few years ago I had a wound cleaned 30+ stiches all done 800 baht.......I gave them 1000......I had insurance didn't bother claiming

I go to Rangsit general for regular check ups and for physio and they are reasonable and a lot cheaper than Canada.

I have no complaints about the service here it is good and still cheaper than anything in North America that I would trust.

• Like 1

I don't know of many people who have been able to get out of a hospital without paying, if they didn't pay, they don;t release them or give back their passport, this sounds more like a plan to charge higher prices to not have to tax locals higher for their medical care

I agree. Of all the serious hospital visits I have had, you ALWAYS have to pay up front or they will not touch you. Same for Thai people at the large hospitals. Maybe rural government hospitals will send you a bill, but I doubt it.. This proposal feels like a scam, addressing a non existent problem.
  • Like 1

Knee-jerk stuff - and perhaps more about revenue generation that addressing any real problem.

Nearly every business visitor to Thailand (most of which will use a tourist visa as I do) will have medical insurance via their company either in general for specifically for the trip. Ditto tourists travelling on a package - in most cases they have to buy insurance.

I am also concerned that a 'fee' or surccharge linked to air tickets or hotels will simply vanish into genral revenue (or someone's pocket) rather than actually pay for treatment. I am also willing to bet large that even if this did come in, it would somehow not cover actal medical bills incurred due to 'exclusions' and limitations.

• Like 1

Ban tourists over 50 or certify they are wealthy before they are allowed to get a ticket to Thailand.

Don't most tourists take out some sort of travel insurance covering illness and emergency treatment?

Sounds discriminatory......

Don't young tourists get involved in motorcycle or jetski accidents?

• Like 1

Would seem tourists need life insurance better than health with the rise in crimes against foreigners in Phuket & Pattaya. More Aussies die in Thailand than in any other country according to their [AU] statistics. Conversely, Cambodia has very low crime statistics comparitively.

• Like 1

Yes the government could offer a medium cost insuranse to expats , they could pay either to go to the general Hospital or an extra premium for a privat one , this way we get a resnable costed insuranse the Thai government makes a bit and everyone is insured , simples.

They abuse !

Conscientious tourists already have the most a sickness, accident and repatriation insurance for abroad from their country and must pay cash all hospital costs then why even force them to pay for double insurance !

This is outrageous !

Edited by Westaurel

What idiot goes on holiday without insurance?

I've never bought travel insurance in my life and I've been to something like 50 countries. Hello. How are you? Am I the idiot you are inquiring about?coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Banning tourists over 50 would have an adverse effect on tourism in the kingdom. Most of those torists over 50 have a greater spending power than young familes and younger solo travellers. To means test every tourist coming to the Kingdom would be impossible. Yes non Thai nationals should not be entitled to any free medical treatment and maybe the governments of their country should pick up the bill and then recover the money from the individual concerned. All the expats I know either have medical insurance or pay themselves. Non get free treatment. It is probaly the younger traveller involved in road accidents etc that are a burdon on the Health Department.

• Like 2

40 % of this hospital visits is made by expats living in the country. A higher fee on air fare and hotels does not effect the expats living in Thailand.

But if these fees are implemented does that mean as an expat living in the Kingdom we get free medical care?

Or will the next rule be: A proof of medical insurance when you apply for a visa?

As far as I'm aware, you can't get medical insurance in Thailand unless you are under 60 years old, so that would mean once expats reach 60 they will have to go back to their own countries as they won't get a visa to live here with no medical insurance. I don't think so, Thailand does not want us, but they want our money.

What would happen if all us old geezers where forced to leave Thailand because of health insurance issue's I wonder what would become of the wife's and families they support and many other spends and help they give the local economy I think if the government could calculate that(not easy) we would hear no more about how much we are costing the health service .

I am sure they come up with all these plans just to give us something to discuss on TV and of course like all government departments worldwide they need something to think about.

I for one just pick up sticks and ship out without a backward glance .

• Like 1

Scrap the 30 day visa waiver on entry,and take a cut of a new adjusted rate "tourist" visa income, everyone pays everyones covered and applies to those on "tourist" visit, and will keep more visitors legal as they have the appropriate visa.

Everyone wins !

Edited by CharlieH

What idiot goes on holiday without insurance?

The one that fails to read that consuming alcohol before an accident or driving a motorsi negates some policies......or the one insured for 30 days but stays on for 40.....that covers quite a few doesn't it? But I think this is more for the expats.......20k baht at visa at renewal time should help boost the medical care funding.....no exemptions

Edited by 473geo

Ban tourists over 50 or certify they are wealthy before they are allowed to get a ticket to Thailand.

Don't most tourists take out some sort of travel insurance covering illness and emergency treatment?

Ban ALL tourists. And no expats with net worth under US $10 million.

Just one thought from many; exactly how will the customs agents at the airports and border crossings be able to verify insurance cards (paper or plastic or on A4 paper) in any language other than Thai? More seminars?

There are more holes in this idea than a cheese grater. Thais are so damn stupid, and this becomes apparent every time they open their mouths on any issue regarding minding a foreigner's business.

"... this becomes apparent every time they open their mouths on any issue regarding minding a foreigner's business."

Actually unreimbursed medical expenses incurred by Thai hospitals treating indigent foreigners are the business of Thailand, especially if those hospitals are subsidized by the government. Apparently the business of some posters on ThaiVisa is to find any pretext, no matter how specious, for unwarranted, ill-informed Thai bashing.

• Like 1

Ban tourists over 50 or certify they are wealthy before they are allowed to get a ticket to Thailand.??

Where did it say that the hospital cases were the "over 50's"?? It only said it was a situation compounded by an aging population.