Gun Laws

Briandajew

I have a look around on the internet and particularly this site and was wondering if anyone has any ideas regarding the use of guns in Thailand.

I understand most of the laws that point to how to obtain a gun, gun license etc. What I cannot find out is the legality of actually using a gun on your own property.

What I am trying to find out is, if anyone can help, what are the laws about shooting/hunting/killing vermin etc. on your own property?

I am looking at getting my wife to apply for a 12 bore shotgun, I understand that this is not too difficult here, but the point of getting it is to keep down some of the rat population and other unwanted pests, or even just target practice, any ideas what the law says about this?

We own about 20 rai, so there is quite a bit of room to shoot targets rats etc, without going near anyone elses property, the nearest road is over 100m from the house with another 50 or 60 metres behind that as a safeguard, the nearest properties are well over 200 metres from the house so it isn't like we would be blasting next to a neighbours home.

All I wanted it for was to have a bit of target practice, pop a few rats now and then and as an additional means of home security, which I believe is well within the law in Thailand, the only thing I cannot find info on is where and when you can use it.

Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this classic questioned is being asked, may I reply with my usual answer.

If guns are the answer ... it must be a very silly question.

"Popping a few rats, target practise or home security" ... guns are not the answer.

• Like 1

"Popping a few rats, target practise or home security" ... guns are not the answer.

Yes, we have heard all of your type of replies before...why do you bother? If you cannot answer the question, just shut up!

Well, if you have heard my reply before and it relates to Thailand, then you must have read someone else ask the question before.

So, it then beggars the issue of why did have you raised it again?

What is new to your argument/question?

simple said: As soon as you (farang) hold the gun in your hand, you are outside the law...

That wasn't the question, whether or not I hold the gun or my wife holds the gun or my son holds the gun (both of them are Thais) If you have no answer, don't bother replying, I have heard and read countless replies about guns in Thailand, I am asking a simple question, if you don't know, well you are entitled to your opinion, but don't bother replying to me as it is the same shite I have heard time and time again!

It is a simple question, a bit like having shooting rights on any farmers / landowners property in the UK or USA, nothing more, I am not planning Dunblane, or a School massacre, simply asking a simple question about the law on firing a gun in your own property - nothing more!

• Like 2

Yes, we have heard all of your type of replies before...why do you bother? If you cannot answer the question, just shut up!

Well, if you have heard my reply before and it relates to Thailand, then you must have read someone else ask the question before.

So, it then beggars the issue of why did have you raised it again?

What is new to your argument/question?

What is the law regarding shooting rights on land in Thailand? Can you understand the question or not? I don't need you to espouse about gun laws and rights to carry, I don't need any personal opinions about the ethics of carrying / owning guns, All I am asking about is what are the shooting rights in Thailand - You obviously have no idea, so why bother trying to get into an argument or some sort of ethics about guns? It isn't a difficult question, anyone that has been issued with a gun permit in Thailand should be able to answer it, I am not getting into Columbine or anything else. You people just reply to posts as you seem to have nothing better to do - you don't answer the question, you just blather opinions.

Edited by Briandajew
  • Like 1

When my wife bought a gun I asked if there was a gun club or shooting range in Ubon to practice.

The gunsmith said to go back to the farm and just shoot there.So we did. House 1km from the nearest village, in 40 rai.

• Like 1

Since nearly everyone here is against the idea of private citizens owning firearms, perhaps you'd be better off asking the question someplace you're likely to get an intelligent and helpful answer.

Personally I'd make friends with a policeman, ideally one related to a Thai friend, or friends with a relative.

• Like 2

simple said: As soon as you (farang) hold the gun in your hand, you are outside the law...

That wasn't the question, whether or not I hold the gun or my wife holds the gun or my son holds the gun (both of them are Thais) If you have no answer, don't bother replying, I have heard and read countless replies about guns in Thailand, I am asking a simple question, if you don't know, well you are entitled to your opinion, but don't bother replying to me as it is the same shite I have heard time and time again!

It is a simple question, a bit like having shooting rights on any farmers / landowners property in the UK or USA, nothing more, I am not planning Dunblane, or a School massacre, simply asking a simple question about the law on firing a gun in your own property - nothing more!

Maybe you better ask a lawyer, this is a forum where people react like they want to (without breaking forumrules).

I have licensed handguns in my name because of where I live and what I do.

However, I am not permitted to fire the handgun anywhere except a gun range or in self defense on my property.

Even transporting guns to the range the gun must be in a locked gun case and the magazines must be empty and in separate locked box.

Popping rats with a 12-gauge seems a bit excessive. I recommend the range for practice.

• Like 1

Since nearly everyone here is against the idea of private citizens owning firearms, perhaps you'd be better off asking the question someplace you're likely to get an intelligent and helpful answer.

Personally I'd make friends with a policeman, ideally one related to a Thai friend, or friends with a relative.

Thanks! Cheers for a sensible reply - looking at a few other replies it seems that shooting on your own land is an "at risk" hobby - I do not see any point of taking a 12 bore to a range - it is just like spraying pepper!

Thanks again!

Actually I have a friend in the Thai police- he is a sergeant - he lets me shoot his pistol, and his response is "Mai Mee Baan Ha!" - but, when pressed on the law, he says he has no idea! He reckons if it is on your land then it is OK, however...like Farangs owning bikes with no plates...I tend to not believe him!

Edited by Briandajew

if you want to deal with vermin, maybe consider a good precision air/pellet rifle ?

I know Mark from Jomtien supplies them via his website, legal and probably alot more cheap than real rifles anyways (ammo is cheap too). I have not tried any of his high-powered air rifles as of yet.

look up thailand airsoft on google, he does educational movies also on youtube. I have no affiliation with this company, I am a customer of this e-shop as I have ordered 2 handgun to play Airsoft.

cheers,

• Like 1

I have licensed handguns in my name because of where I live and what I do.

However, I am not permitted to fire the handgun anywhere except a gun range or in self defense on my property.

Even transporting guns to the range the gun must be in a locked gun case and the magazines must be empty and in separate locked box.

Popping rats with a 12-gauge seems a bit excessive. I recommend the range for practice.

It seems that gun ranges are the only place to shoot - crazy really, as you cannot really practice shooting a 12 bore on a range, it is a bit random - I can understand pistol or bullet gun / rifle, but shotguns are just for sport or home defence. - Have you seen the size of rats out here? Some of these things are bigger than cats! - in the UK they blast pheasants with 12 bores, and they are not as big as a crow!

For the record, I like guns, I grew up with guns - mainly airguns, Wbleys, Crossmans, BSA when I was a kid, I liked target shooting, shooting rats, it was just something we did as kids - it was better than going around mugging old people or smoking crack - I still enjoy it, it hurts no one, it is no worse than fishing, in fact it is a bit more challenging, it is a bit of fun, a sport, a hobby whatever,

And thank you TOTANTAZ - I will check that out - I was under the impression that under Thai law, any weapon that used a compressed gas (i.e. Air or Exploding powder was classed as a firearm) - but if it is possible to get a decent airgun here, then that is even better than a 12 bore! The only reservation I have is I once bought an Airsoft pistol in Chiang Mai with these ultra light weight plastic BB's - the thing couldn't put a hole in a paper bag at 5 feet! It would not have had the power to kill a lizard from the ceiling. I will check out your recommendations, if I can get a good .177 or .22 airgun, it is more than enough, thanks!

I'm confused as to why you want a gun.

Still, that's not my business. If I were you, go see your lawyer and have him take you through the process. 

Heavy Drinker....if you are like me and are getting on in years, you no longer have the hair on your head that you used to have, as it is usually growing from one point and you have to wrap it around your head just to appear "Hairy" - Your belly is now nearer to your knees than your cock, you weigh 20 stone more than you did 20 years ago, your teeth are starting to rot and fall out, the arse hairs are trailing between your legs, your balls have a few pea size growths that might be nut cancer, your liver is shot from the booze....

Wouldn't you just like to go down to the local hairdresser, get a makeover, put on some Winkle Pickers and stride up the local Soi to where all the rotten whisky sodden drunken Thais are laying in the gutter covered in vomit - Pull out a Magnum .44 and say "MAKE MY DAY!" - Tam Wan Kong Chan Mofo!

I practice every night on the 12 cats we have, at least three of them believe I am Clint!

Edited by Briandajew

I heard if your a foreigner and regularly carry more than 140000 baht on a regular basis you can pack heat

That I must admit is a new one to me - I believe there are rules where foreigners can get a gun, but I have never heard of the 140K Baht thing - not sure if I would want to walk around with 140K in my pocket anyway, probably heavier than a couple of six guns!

And to practice with your shotgun pop over to Cambodia, pay a bit extra they let you fire a bazooka at live cows if you like

Nooooooooooooo! I saw that on the internet, that is terrible!!! Shooting cows with grenade launchers and the like, no, not what I am into, I simply wanted to buy a gun, put up a few beer bottles/ cans/cats Thais and have a bit of fun, I am not doing the Brinks Mat!

If I wanted to kill defenceless animals, I would simply put them in the 800 watt Sharp microwave - I like wildlife, I just need to pop off a few rats now and again as the cats I have are too damn lazy to kill them and the rat piss they leave leads to disease, and the wife brought home this white dog that looks like a rat or a large white squirrel that attacks people on motorbikes and can run too quick for me to catch and hang!

I already have one of those Thai made air rifles, the pump up thing that looks like something from the American Civil War - 5 foot long and takes half an hour to load - effective...YES if you only need to get one shot off, useless in poaching rats - they can hear you pumping it up for ten minutes beforehand and roll on their asses laughing!

We had a problem with dogs a few months back - they were in here stealing food and looking for one of the bitches - By the time you pumped the gun up and loaded the steel BB - the dogs were 500 yards away giving you the finger!

Edited by Briandajew

You might consider buying a crossbow.  I saw a nice one in China Town a few weeks ago.  It was 2,200 baht.  I think it would be fun to shoot rats with it.

BTW.....I think there is nothing wrong with owning a gun.

<snip> ...if you are like me and are getting on in years, you no longer have the hair on your head that you used to have, as it is usually growing from one point and you have to wrap it around your head just to appear "Hairy" - Your belly is now nearer to your knees than your cock, you weigh 20 stone more than you did 20 years ago, your teeth are starting to rot and fall out, the arse hairs are trailing between your legs, your balls have a few pea size growths that might be nut cancer, your liver is shot from the booze....

Wouldn't you just like to go down to the local hairdresser, get a makeover, put on some Winkle Pickers and stride up the local Soi to where all the rotten whisky sodden drunken Thais are laying in the gutter covered in vomit - Pull out a Magnum .44 and say "MAKE MY DAY!" - Tam Wan Kong Chan Mofo!

I practice every night on the 12 cats we have, at least three of them believe I am Clint!

^  ^  ^

Just a Gem of a post, certainly worth reading ... just in case you missed it the first time.

And to practice with your shotgun pop over to Cambodia, pay a bit extra they let you fire a bazooka at live cows if you like

Nooooooooooooo! I saw that on the internet, that is terrible!!! Shooting cows with grenade launchers and the like, no, not what I am into, I simply wanted to buy a gun, put up a few beer bottles/ cans/cats Thais and have a bit of fun, I am not doing the Brinks Mat!

If I wanted to kill defenceless animals, I would simply put them in the 800 watt Sharp microwave - I like wildlife, I just need to pop off a few rats now and again as the cats I have are too damn lazy to kill them and the rat piss they leave leads to disease, and the wife brought home this white dog that looks like a rat or a large white squirrel that attacks people on motorbikes and can run too quick for me to catch and hang!

I already have one of those Thai made air rifles, the pump up thing that looks like something from the American Civil War - 5 foot long and takes half an hour to load - effective...YES if you only need to get one shot off, useless in poaching rats - they can hear you pumping it up for ten minutes beforehand and roll on their asses laughing!

We had a problem with dogs a few months back - they were in here stealing food and looking for one of the bitches - By the time you pumped the gun up and loaded the steel BB - the dogs were 500 yards away giving you the finger!

That's funny.

I also have a metal, semi auto C02 pistol from japan that was originally at about 400fps and with some upgrades (springs and firing pin) is over 500fps firing ball bearings.

It breaks the skin. How do I know this? I let my wife try and shoot me from about 15m. She thought it was hilarious. Me...not so much.

Maybe one of those will give you a fighting chance against those disrespectful rats.

• Like 1

OP, I am sorry that you have not had any helpful replies, par for the course  in this General Topics forum though.

You asked a perfectly valid question and got, for the most part, opinionated, pointless drivel in reply. Just to reassure you that not everyone on T.V. is anti-gun ownership.

The countries in Europe have become so highly regulated, and the people micro-managed, that nearly everything is illegal unless expressly permitted.

One of the pleasures of living here, apart from the weather, is the sense of freedom and lack of over-arching government control.

So the answer is probably you can do what you want on your property, as long as you do not endanger or annoy your neighbours.

If you asked this question in the Farming forum you may have had more helpful replies, as many of the posters there have large plots of land,and no doubt similar problems with rats.

Good shooting!

• Like 2

OP, I am sorry that you have not had any helpful replies, par for the course  in this General Topics forum though.

You asked a perfectly valid question and got, for the most part, opinionated, pointless drivel in reply. Just to reassure you that not everyone on T.V. is anti-gun ownership.

The countries in Europe have become so highly regulated, and the people micro-managed, that nearly everything is illegal unless expressly permitted.

One of the pleasures of living here, apart from the weather, is the sense of freedom and lack of over-arching government control.

So the answer is probably you can do what you want on your property, as long as you do not endanger or annoy your neighbours.

If you asked this question in the Farming forum you may have had more helpful replies, as many of the posters there have large plots of land,and no doubt similar problems with rats.

Good shooting!

This is called irony.

• Like 1

A 12 bore shotgun? You do know that buffalo are not vermin?

Make a catapult like the locals.

I would not recomend a 12 gauge for taking on a buffalo, personally i would use at least a 308 for that but if youre able to aim without a scope the old reliable 30-30 will do good on anything bigger then a farm dog. 12 gauge is for shooting birds and snakes it is also highly efficient for scaring off intruders especially at night time with the barrels shortned down to at least 18" snice it will display a nice firework too then.

I am sorry that i can not answer the question here. I have been asking around about the laws for legally obtained guns but came up with nothing of value at all but if you find something usefull please dont hesitate to drop me pm. Good hunting.

• Like 1

There is what people say you can get away with.

Then there is the law - which I nor most people on this thread will be able to tell you.

The key to success to living in Thailand for a non-connected pleb like you or I is to not only be on the right side of the law when it counts, but seen to be on the right side of the law. This is very important when things go FUBAR. If you are on the right side of the law, no bribe or attempt at extortion can work, nor likely to even be attempted.

I have no idea about guns. If it is your right to handle a fire arm registered to someone else in your house, then that is your right. But confirm it - ideally with written advice from a good lawyer. If it is again your right to pick off vermin from your back porch, or there are requirements that you put safety proceedures in place before you pick off said vermin, or that you need a permit to pick off said vermin, then I'd find out if I was you.

You might be tickety-boo and do all this and never be questioned. But if all goes FUBAR, what you need to do is protect yourself in Thailand is the ability to wave offical bits of paper in front of peoples faces to make them turn around and walk away.

• Like 2