Is It Any Wonder . . .

Fiddlesticks

. . . that there seems to be too many careless and disastrous motor vehicle accidents on Thailand's roads!

Today, I went to the transportation department to secure a motorcycle license (I have had my auto drivers license for numerous years). To their credit, the Thai government requires that anyone seeking to secure such a license must first complete a four-hour driver's training course which consists of several lengthy videos that cover such things as traffic laws, signs, lights, markings, the safe operation of motor vehicles, on-road etiquette and the like. I was particularly interested to see how they handled the proper procedures and rules governing overtaking and passing of other motor vehicles. What I saw was a fair amount of time dedicated to this topic on a couple of the videos but . . . NOT ONCE did they discuss paying attention to the centerline highway markings that indicate when passing is allowed or prohibited! No wonder the Thai seem oblivious to these no passing zones on the highways and proceed to pass willie-nillie over blind hills and blind corners! One has to wonder if there are many Thai drivers that know what the highway centerlines mean.

Keep this in mind when you are traveling our beautiful CR roadways. Remember that many of the other drivers on the road were only taught that they can not pass when there is a road sign saying they can not pass! Centerlines prohibiting passing is not a concept that they learned prior to being issued a drivers license.

Certainly, when it comes to driving in Thailand, proceed at your own risk and always assume that the other driver will do the unexpected. Chok dii to us all ! ! !

Congratulations on getting your license. Road safety is, or should be, a major concern for anyone living in Thailand. Volumes have been written about the dangers that abound here, the causes and how to cope with them. Not sure anyone has an answer but thanks for the reminder that we all need to be extremely diligent when on the road. And yes, a little luck might come in handy.thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...