Sirichok Denies Breaking Election Rules: Bangkok Gubernatorial Race

webfact

Sirichok denies breaking election rules
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Democrat MP Sirichok Sopha has dismissed allegations about being involved in the alleged violation of electoral rules in connection with the Bangkok gubernatorial race.

"I believe the allegation is false because I have never attacked Pheu Thai candidate Pongsapat Pongcharoen," he said.

Sirichok added that a campaign photograph of him, posted on the Internet, had been doctored. He added that though he referred to the "burning down of Bangkok" in his comments, his remarks should not be construed as a frame-up or moves to defame the ruling party.

Previous judicial rulings show that such comments are not in violation of the libel provisions, he said.

He also brought up the issue of Deputy Commerce Minister Nathawut Saikua helping Pongsapat in his campaign. "It is general understanding that Natthawut is seen as a red-shirt leader with links to the 2010 political violence," he said.

Sirichok also said that in the 2011 general election, Natthawut had branded the Democrats as "killers of the people" and the Election Commission ruled that such branding was acceptable according to the Constitution.

Meanwhile, academic Seri Wongmontha, in his Facebook messages, has insisted on his right as a Thai citizen to publicly support Sukhumbhand.

He pointed out that he was not a member or an executive of the Democrat Party, nor had he ever been involved in the party's public relations work.

Seri asked whether it was even "logical" for the Election Commission to suspend an election winner just because his supporters voiced their support via the social media. In fact, he wondered if it was even sensible for the EC to waste time investigating this issue.

"What has happened to this country?" he asked, adding that several other people had posted similar comments on Facebook.

Seri went on to say that his accusers might have possibly though that he had been paid to campaign for Sukhum-bhand. "Don't think that everyone works for money. There are also people who do things for their ideology and belief," he said.

Seri, a prominent gay personality, is an expert in mass communications and marketing, who also appears on the pro-Democrat, satellite-based Blue Sky Channel television.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobam-rung said he hoped for a new election - one that the Pheu Thai candidate could win.

However, he said, he would not pressure the EC to disqualify Sukhumbhand, adding he was not worried about protests. "People have to respect the rules," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-14

• Like 1

Didn't the Democrat Party used the same tactic against Yongyuth. Accusing him of taking voters to Bangkok for a treat? And when finally the truth came out after a doctored tape he already had lost his seat. It is called politics and it stinks everywhere but even more so in Thailand.

Didn't the Democrat Party used the same tactic against Yongyuth. Accusing him of taking voters to Bangkok for a treat? And when finally the truth came out after a doctored tape he already had lost his seat. It is called politics and it stinks everywhere but even more so in Thailand.

Just another but but but the Democrats.............

• Like 1

So if the election is declared null and void and a new election held do PT really think their antics over this will endear them to the BKK voters.

The vote clearly showed that for whatever reason the people of BKK said they wanted Sukhum-bhand in the job?

If I was a BKK voter who had voted for Sukhum-bhand I would be highly peed off that the same bunch of bandits who burnt and held my city to ransom have on some flimsy excuse got the one I wanted chucked out.

It is obvious the MP did nothing wrong

All Thai politicians are such law abiding and upstanding citizens

It's school playground stuff, " please sir it was the other bad politician that did it ". Now let's wait for the lawsuits to start for libel

Just another but but but the Democrats.............

Perhaps if the democrats were not held up by such a large number of people on here as being so righteous their waste doesn't smell you would understand why similar actions by that same party are pointed out as and when they occur. It's not the fact that they are not capable of behaving in "bad" ways but the continuous denial by TV posters that they couldn't possibly do anything remotely "bad" that sticks in the throat.

Abhisit being Example Numero Uno - even Prayuth has got the picture by now according to the other paper (don't expect to read anything about that in the nation too soon).

So if the election is declared null and void and a new election held do PT really think their antics over this will endear them to the BKK voters.

The vote clearly showed that for whatever reason the people of BKK said they wanted Sukhum-bhand in the job?

If I was a BKK voter who had voted for Sukhum-bhand I would be highly peed off that the same bunch of bandits who burnt and held my city to ransom have on some flimsy excuse got the one I wanted chucked out.

It's almost as bad as having the Prime Minster and his party that you elected in, being illegally deposed, except that it in this case it only involves the electoral voters of Bangkok and not the Entire Country.

Posting a picture of the results of arson committed by Red Shirts, how dare them! grounds for political banning; having Nattawut, who urged the Red Shirts to burn down the city, campaigning in your behalf, all peachy.

Yup, mental, absolutely mental.

And of course the utterly pathetic "But but but... the democrats did something or the other that I'm going to pretend is even remotely similar"

Edited by AleG
  • Like 1

It's almost as bad as having the Prime Minster and his party that you elected in, being illegally deposed, except that it in this case it only involves the electoral voters of Bangkok and not the Entire Country.

Nearly... if would have been if Sukhumband had decided it was in Bangkok's best interests to stay on past his term as Thaksin did, but don't let the finer details blur your your comparison.

After all, as Chalerm points out, "People have to respect the rules".

If someone tried to burn down your neighbours house,would it make sense to have them on neighbourhood watch?

“It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But a half-wit remains a half-wit, and the emperor remains an emperor.”

Seri asked whether it was even "logical" for the Election Commission to suspend an election winner just because his supporters voiced their support via the social media. In fact, he wondered if it was even sensible for the EC to waste time investigating this issue.

Obviously the doctored celebrity pictures by red-shirt supporters was just a prank which didn't cause the Bangkok EC any worries. I'm surprised people here do not see the distinct difference.

You prefer Somalia of Myanmar?

Or perhaps Iraq and Afghanistan are your idea of wonderful governments suggest you look around out side your back yard before you condemn it might be you will discover it can get much much worse.

Just a suggestion.

Sour grapes, this applies to all political parties, the Dems can get just as trivial, just go's to show the mentality of the candidates, take it on the chin old mate, ya frigging lost , so bugger offcoffee1.gif

Edited by chainarong
  • Like 1

You prefer Somalia of Myanmar?

Or perhaps Iraq and Afghanistan are your idea of wonderful governments suggest you look around out side your back yard before you condemn it might be you will discover it can get much much worse.

Just a suggestion.

Like in Thaksin's close friend and business associate Hun Sen's theifdom, Cambodia you mean?

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobam-rung said he hoped for a new election - one that the Pheu Thai candidate could win.

Red Democracy in action. bah.gif

However, he said, he would not pressure the EC to disqualify Sukhumbhand, adding he was not worried about protests. "People have to respect the rules," he said.

Sigh!bah.gif

Together with the 'big news' promised for next week by the BKK Election Commission may I hope that our respectable and respected outsider still has a chance ?

post-58-0-14037500-1363283674_thumb.png

It appears you guys put your heads together and posted at the same time how about keep the thread on the Bangkok election instead of old news. You guys need to come up with some better lines other than but but but the democrats

I remember now why the music industry switched from vinyl to CD