What Is An Expat Here In Thailand?

puyaidon

And become British Citizens in 3 years,and a month or two,as my Thai wife has just become!

The point is that expats don't become Johnny Foreigner wherever we wind up. We remain as patriate as ever we were when we were inpatriate.

Expatriates always assume that they may go back at some stage - either in this generation or the next, or some future generation.

SC

And become British Citizens in 3 years,and a month or two,as my Thai wife has just become!

The point is that expats don't become Johnny Foreigner wherever we wind up. We remain as patriate as ever we were when we were inpatriate.

Expatriates always assume that they may go back at some stage - either in this generation or the next, or some future generation.

SC

So can those who have been given a Brit passport.

• Like 1

SC

Most Expats are still Patriotic to their Country and People,but there is a hardcore of Expats on TV,who love to denigrate and muck sling their own Country and people,I should think most back in Blighty are praying they don't come back!

• Like 2

Lots of one or two month tourists like to consider themselves expats. They're basically wannabes. Lots around here. Real expats stick around.

wannabe what.

expats from what i have seen are often Alcaholics, not all but I have not met one yet who is not, and as your post confirms have a strange beef with tourists and tesol teachers.

living in Thailands not an achievment, There are thousands of girls marrying old men and subjecting themselves to this torture in order to leave Thailand.

if you are an immigrant, you firstly want to work here, settle down and adept to the place.

if you are an expat, you want to live here, bring in your own money or income, but never are dependent

from the country you wish to be it's expat.

As an 'immigrant', all you have is you bring, and fortune may be with you,

'Expats' seem to be self-sufficient people.

IMO expat defines a small step over being a tourist, yet not a full member integrated into the society of the land of his

choice, as not being it's citizen, regardless living in the host country for a long time,

come as an expat, forever expat.

it seems to be simple, anyone prove me wrong, kudos!

Lots of one or two month tourists like to consider themselves expats. They're basically wannabes. Lots around here. Real expats stick around.

wannabe what.

expats from what i have seen are often Alcaholics, not all but I have not met one yet who is not, and as your post confirms have a strange beef with tourists and tesol teachers.

living in Thailands not an achievment, There are thousands of girls marrying old men and subjecting themselves to this torture in order to leave Thailand.

You seem to have lots of axes to grind.

In my young day there were itinerant Romany axe-grinders working door to door.

SC

wannabe what.

You seem to have lots of axes to grind.

In my young day there were itinerant Romany axe-grinders working door to door.

SC

it would seem like that but don't try to read between the lines when there is nothing there, it's just as i said i am yet to meet a sober one, and i did not say all.

take a close look the person i was quoting seems to have an ax to grind.

I believe the term has evolved over the years. In the past I think it was used for those living and working abroad at the behest of a company/organization in the country of their birth. These days I think it can used for anyone living in a foreign country for an extended period of time.

That's the way I originally understood it when I first met Expats 30 years ago. I was aware that the dictionary definition was broader but mine remained that.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Out of curiosity, would the TV members call my Lao maid an expat? she is here on a good package and wants to go home in 2/3 years.

I have thought of expats being farang in the past but no real reason to it.

No. because we're racist.

But she is enjoying an improvement in her opportunities just the same as I am, so apart from the racism, why not?

Perhaps because she is not paid a higher package than a corresponding local person would receive.

In my former company, we had a senior manager who was a Thai expatriate. I don't know if he was employed on local terms or expatriate terms. That said, I was never clear about the difference between local and expatriate terms (not being a naturally nosey person) but I am fairly sure that the expatriate terms were more generous. For competitive reasons. If you want local staff, you need to pay wages that are competitive locally. If you want expatriate staff, then you need to compete with wages in Hong Kong and Dubai.

SC

• Like 1