The Phuket Deathometer

Phronesis

A good Thai friend of mine here in Phuket has told me that there is a new inititiative that is going to be adopted at the airport and at the new bus station at Koh Keaow.

There is going to be a large cut out style graphic displayed called the "Deathometer".

For those members who are Australian, it is going to be similar to the bush fire meters back home...with a low, medium, high, and extremely high risk rating.

The Deathometer will also display a running tally of the number of the deaths on the island to date.

This new initiative is designed to address the expontential increase in the death of tourists and expats on Phuket due to crime, road accidents and drowing.

Edited by Phronesis
  • Like 1

TAT would never allow anything like that. At least not with the actual numbers.

It's like "Welcome to Phuket - welcome do die".

Edited by Guest

In the past this was true, but apparently now due to the spike in farang deaths on the Island, coupled with an increased local concern by intervention from Bangkok, some "highly visible" short term solutions must be put in place swiftly.

• Like 1

In the past this was true, but apparently now due to the spike in farang deaths on the Island, coupled with an increased local concern by intervention from Bangkok, some "highly visible" short term solutions must be put in place swiftly.

As the other local news source that can't be quoted on TV has been saying for quite some time now, the Public Health Ministry hasn't published the numbers of drowning and traffic deaths since April of 2012. So I highly doubt they will be putting up a "deathometer" sign at the airport.

This involves losing face. I'll believe it when I see it........just like the reversal of the one-way system in Patong.

Face is actually what is driving the initiative.

The death toll is now so off the hook that it is beyond window dressing or selective non reporting.

The decision to implement a visible measure now is viewed as preferable.

Because doing nothing will result in a massive lose of face when Bangkok intervenes.

There is an article in the UK Telegraph today (dont know if I can post the link as there are so many rules on this forum) about the safety of tourists on Phuket.

Under rule 31 you can't post links to articles post in the Bangkok Post or The Phuket Wan. I haven't seen any other rule about news links.

More tourists = more tourist deaths. Simple.

Probably find that a tourist is statistically more likely to die at home on the road back from the airport. So the signs should be there.

"More tourist = more tourist deaths" - so, by your logic, the more tourists that visit Phuket, the more brake failures we will have on buses, for example.

I don't think so.

More tourists = more tourist deaths. Simple.

Probably find that a tourist is statistically more likely to die at home on the road back from the airport. So the signs should be there.

"More tourist = more tourist deaths" - so, by your logic, the more tourists that visit Phuket, the more brake failures we will have on buses, for example.

I don't think so.

More tourists means more swimming (drownings), renting motorbikes (road accidents), more hanging out pissed on their balconies (falls) etc. etc.

There are an awful lot of ways to die, not just in a bus with break failure.

Therefore his statement "More tourists = more tourist deaths" is logically true.

Edited by KarenBravo

Latest update.

Apparently there is a good deal of infighting now over who will be responsible for updating the data on the deathometers. This is because on one hand it will be a regular paid job that requires very little work for a good salary....But, on the other hand there is the fear that the person taking care of the deathometers will be held accountable for the deaths (and perhaps interviewed by the media about them).

A quintessential example of Thai culture at play: Happy to accept the easy money...but not happy to accept any responsibility...

It will be interesting to see how they resolve this conundrum...