It Outsourcing In Thailand, Need Advice...

Hello Everyone.

I am from Denmark and I am thinking of outsourcing part of our internet and web development to Thailand, but I dont know much about how to start a business there.

My questions are:

- What is the average salary ranges for web developers, web designers etc.?

- Experiences from others. Do you know if any blogs/websites written by people who have experience with IT outsourcing in Thailand?

Actually any help or links or comments or information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

- Don

With the amount of info in your OP "Outsourcing to Thailand" is quite an all-embracing concept, that points in each and every direction. It would be easier for someone to reply, if they knew a bit about the context:

Are you a self-employd webdeveloper, seeking a couple of guys, who won't demand too much payment for helping you out making your website?

Are you a director of a big software-house who seeks contact with a big software-house in Thailand?

Is it something beween?

Or are you merely seeking a way to "outsource" yourself, so you can live and "work online" in Thailand?

Hello Everyone.

I am from Denmark and I am thinking of outsourcing part of our internet and web development to Thailand, but I dont know much about how to start a business there.

My questions are:

- Experiences from others. Do you know if any blogs/websites written by people who have experience with IT outsourcing in Thailand?

Actually any help or links or comments or information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

- Don

Goddag Don,

There is no such average salary as it consens experience, education (university) and language skills.

Some wannabee farangs may be a better investment than Thai developers/designers...

Med venlig hilsen,

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Don:

I've been involved with offshore software development with a local software house for the past 5 years. Based upon my experience, here are a few comments.

** Web designers (avg exp such as 1-2 years) are paid roughly 20-30k per month.

Software developers (C#, PHP, J2EE) earn roughly 30,000-45,000 per month. However, we do have

a few Thai developers making as high as 60,000 per month.

- Experiences from others.

** Not as easy as it seems. Cultural issues, immigration problems, day to day business items which should not take more than a minute, end up taking days or weeks to complete with stacks of stamps and signatures required.

If you want any tips or other info, feel free to send me a msg via Thai Visa.

John

I would think that without a solid contact here as a business partner you'd have absolutely no success.

With one you might do well! But you'd have to check the work of everything ... particularly the language

Psst ... Krom.... what's a wannabe farang?

hey,

I am a freelancer IT guy, and I do mostly outsource works for US based companies; so I thinkn I can give you some lights on the way to process if yo uwant to outsource your work (mean send work to do from EU to Thailand).

There is only 2 ways to do so (to have great chance of success):

a) you send one of your usual IT guy here, and then he will do the work with the same quality but for the locla price. Not sure you can find someone who accept.

:o use one of those websites that act as 'middlemen' btw coder and societies : rentacoder.com, scriptlance.com ....

there are hundreds of them, but for the shake I would like to precise I use rentacoder since almost 4 years, and they are serious both with payments, litigations, projects ...

The only other way will be to reliate on someone you will met by chance in a forum like this one, so you will not be able to know what he is worth, not be sure the person will still have the will to work after a while (mostly people acting as freelancer are simply deeply desesperate and looking to have some money, not to start seriously to do that as living).

There is some thai owned companies that can also do it , but in fact as long as you start to have western needs, they themself hand out the baby to someone else and you finaly got your work made by someone you do not know and can not contact in case of buggs (and there is always bugs).

Also, I totally and strongly suggest to NOT reliate on expats living here (including me), because the huge unreliabilty of the community. Doing outsource work is a tedious job, people like I work a lot and mostly for low salary, so there is not many infact ready to accept it for a long time, even if the advantages of it are obvious (choice of the work, choice of the clients, choice also to not work ...).

My bottom line would be to really advice you to use the 'middlemen' websites, you will gain time (mostly the coders are rated, with the amount of realised jobs, and it's possible to have further references about them), money (yo uwill pay only if you got what you ordered), and stress (professionals who do that work will be glad to add a serious client in their catalog and will certainly be very cautious to make you happy). Do not reliate on the the fellow expat met over a board, a chatroom or a Heineken in Sahtorn ....

Hi Don:

I've been involved with offshore software development with a local software house for the past 5 years. Based upon my experience, here are a few comments.

** Web designers (avg exp such as 1-2 years) are paid roughly 20-30k per month.

Software developers (C#, PHP, J2EE) earn roughly 30,000-45,000 per month. However, we do have

a few Thai developers making as high as 60,000 per month.

- Experiences from others.

** Not as easy as it seems. Cultural issues, immigration problems, day to day business items which should not take more than a minute, end up taking days or weeks to complete with stacks of stamps and signatures required.

If you want any tips or other info, feel free to send me a msg via Thai Visa.

John

That is the good point, use someone who do that since a while as middle man, as long as you can be sure those middle man is reliable.

Also, I totally and strongly suggest to NOT reliate on expats living here (including me), because the huge unreliabilty of the community. Doing outsource work is a tedious job, people like I work a lot and mostly for low salary, so there is not many infact ready to accept it for a long time, even if the advantages of it are obvious (choice of the work, choice of the clients, choice also to not work ...)

huh? speak for yourself. i am an american living in thailand and i take on "outsourced" projects from america to here. i am extremely reliable. i work for more than thais make but less than i would make in the US and that works out great for me and the company.

Also, I totally and strongly suggest to NOT reliate on expats living here (including me), because the huge unreliabilty of the community. Doing outsource work is a tedious job, people like I work a lot and mostly for low salary, so there is not many infact ready to accept it for a long time, even if the advantages of it are obvious (choice of the work, choice of the clients, choice also to not work ...)

huh? speak for yourself. i am an american living in thailand and i take on "outsourced" projects from america to here. i am extremely reliable. i work for more than thais make but less than i would make in the US and that works out great for me and the company.

I did a generalisation, I do live in htailand, and do outsourcing. Since I started in 2003 I suppose I am reliable enought.

Generalisation mean wrong for each and every particular case, but it will be foolish to think anyone is able to reliable. IF you live here you must know well the hight number of so called 'web designer' located in bangkok who know just the basic.

I posted to warn him, and I included myself in the big picture to avoid any mis interpretation (mean I was trying to lure him, or to kill potential concutents lol).