How To Pay Irs From Thailand

I've filed my 1040 and payment (via check drawn on a US bank) from Thailand, China, Hong Kong and Canada in the past. I always FedEx it. Then there's no question they received it and you can verify online if they cashed the check, assuming you have online access to your US checking account.

I would not under any circumstances use the Thai or any other mail system (except for the USPS, and even they are getting questionable) to send to the US.

I've never used the online payment system as RKASA notes, but that sounds like another good option.

I do direct, online payments with IRS via my US bank, USAA. Easy to setup and since I have to do quarterly payments, works great. I schedule the payments for each quarter so I don't forget and they are automatically paid to the IRS. They even send me an email when they are paid and when they clear. No mailing of checks required. Works fantastic if you can do this...I'd guess a US bank account would be required???

I do direct, online payments with IRS via my US bank, USAA. Easy to setup and since I have to do quarterly payments, works great. I schedule the payments for each quarter so I don't forget and they are automatically paid to the IRS. They even send me an email when they are paid and when they clear. No mailing of checks required. Works fantastic if you can do this...I'd guess a US bank account would be required???

Are you referring to EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System)?

I have been using this free online government website to pay both my quarterly estimated tax and 1040 return tax.

Works great.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you need a US bank account to link to your EFTPS account to transfer the scheduled funds.

Here is the link https://www.eftps.com/eftps/

Edited by vagabond48

Are you referring to EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System)?

I have been using this free online government website to pay both my quarterly estimated tax and 1040 return tax.

Works great.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you need a US bank account to link to your EFTPS account to transfer the scheduled funds.

Here is the link https://www.eftps.com/eftps/

Yes, that's the system. Works great and is very easy to use. Luckily!!!!

I've filed my 1040 and payment (via check drawn on a US bank) from Thailand, China, Hong Kong and Canada in the past. I always FedEx it. Then there's no question they received it and you can verify online if they cashed the check, assuming you have online access to your US checking account.

I would not under any circumstances use the Thai or any other mail system (except for the USPS, and even they are getting questionable) to send to the US.

I've never used the online payment system as RKASA notes, but that sounds like another good option.

Is the Thai mail system that bad or am I just being lucky? i have been sending my 1040ES and 1040 forms with checks via Thai mail for 5 years without any problems. I mailed in my 1040 2012 at Soi Post Office on Feb 22, my refund status is already on IRS.gov March 22 today.