Job Interview No Suit

cms989

Another option would be to look in a wedding studio and see if there are any suits suitable to rent. You'll still need to buy shoes.

I like the wedding studio idea. I used their attire in my wedding, and it included the shoes. Sometimes you pay just a bit more to get newer stuff, but it's all still cheap.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it really depends on the context of "I sort of stumbled into a job interview"

If you mean that someone you met here specifically asked you if you were interested in a job, and would like to come to an interview. Then obviously they know you are traveling as a tourist and would not expect you to show up in a suit (in fact they'd probably think it was pretty weird that you went out and bought a suit)

But if you mean that you happened to pick up a Bangkok Post and look at the job offerings..then yeah that would be pretty strange if you showed up in casual-wear.

Serious? I would think showing up in a suit would say nothing but good things.... unless the guy came off as never being offered an interview before, which is possible I guess.

If I met someone in Thailand who was on holiday and ask them if they were interested in a job. They then show up in a brand new full suit they've bought for the interview...i'd be thinking "Didn't realize he needed work this badly..."

I am with Fletchsmile on this one.

With regards to the situation, I cam across this recently, when I was asked by someone in BKK a Thai if I knew any suitable native English speaker candidates for a job with a large company, the boss was American. I did have one in mind, and discussed with him about the job, he was given an interview and he didn't have a suit. He went out and bought one. First impressions are still important, what anyone thinks - particularly for employers,. He didn't necessarily know that he would get the job, but for the cost of a suit, it was worth the punt. He got the job as well, although it certainly wasn't just down to the suit.

• Like 1

Personally I would just wear what you have, of course I'm not hung up on clothes like so many people around here are.

To put this into perspective I offered a job paying 4,500,000 baht a year to a guy who showed up to the interview in shorts and sandals. It would take at least a 10,000,000 baht a year paycheck to make me consider wearing anything nicer then a t-shirt and jeans to a job interview.

A big part of sales is appearance, and it's no different here in Thailand. And you already said the culture of the company is one of suits.

With the competition for jobs being what it is, I can't believe this question needs to be asked. While I don't think it's necessary to wear a jacket, a shirt and tie is basic etiquette. To show up in anything less, to me, would demonstrate a lackadaisical attitude concerning the position. I wouldn't hire you ,barring your ability to astound me with your wit and wisdom.

If you're not willing to look the part, don't waste everyone's time, including your own. Just my 2-baht.

• Like 1

Personally I would just wear what you have, of course I'm not hung up on clothes like so many people around here are.

To put this into perspective I offered a job paying 4,500,000 baht a year to a guy who showed up to the interview in shorts and sandals. It would take at least a 10,000,000 baht a year paycheck to make me consider wearing anything nicer then a t-shirt and jeans to a job interview.

But will you be able to retire before you turn 30 though?

Another option would be to look in a wedding studio and see if there are any suits suitable to rent. You'll still need to buy shoes.

I like the wedding studio idea. I used their attire in my wedding, and it included the shoes. Sometimes you pay just a bit more to get newer stuff, but it's all still cheap.

There are wedding studios in LOS? Really?

I think it really depends on the context of "I sort of stumbled into a job interview"

If you mean that someone you met here specifically asked you if you were interested in a job, and would like to come to an interview. Then obviously they know you are traveling as a tourist and would not expect you to show up in a suit (in fact they'd probably think it was pretty weird that you went out and bought a suit)

But if you mean that you happened to pick up a Bangkok Post and look at the job offerings..then yeah that would be pretty strange if you showed up in casual-wear.

Serious? I would think showing up in a suit would say nothing but good things.... unless the guy came off as never being offered an interview before, which is possible I guess.

If I met someone in Thailand who was on holiday and ask them if they were interested in a job. They then show up in a brand new full suit they've bought for the interview...i'd be thinking "Didn't realize he needed work this badly..."

I see your point. But, when people need work "badly", I would think they are the ideal type of people to be hiring and the least likely to quit. In other words, performing well in the suit (which may be good attire for the workplace) would be ideal.

Edited by isawasnake

Is OP a backpacker whom just happen to consider an office job?

He seems to fit the backpacker profile, and the PR lady is Thai. People are telling him to not dress up, and I don't understand how people that live here don't know the interview is like 80-90% based on appearance for the Thais. I guess it is all moot if he doesn't want the job.... just head in and do as you please.

Edited by isawasnake

I see your point. But, when people need work "badly", I would think they are the ideal type of people to be hiring and the least likely to quit. In other words, performing well in the suit (which may be good attire for the workplace) would be ideal.
True, i guess it could cut either way (a hungry go-getter or a desperate and unwarned individual) depending on the employer.

Anyways if the OP cannot assess his own situation and figure out which pair of pants to put on...I don't hold much hope for him becoming gainfully employed anywhere.

Edited by dave111223
  • Like 2

But will you be able to retire before you turn 30 though?

I'm sure there are ways of doing that without working. smile.png

Before I interviewed with my current employer (oil & gas industry) I checked their website to gain insight to their dress code. Noticed that everyone, from president of the company to the most junior worker all wore the same getup....jeans and the company polo-shirt.

So, with that info in hand I showed up for my 4 hour interview in.... a suite..... :)

Good luck n your interview no matter what you decide to wear.

I say, beware of all
enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of
clothes. If there is not a new man, how can the new clothes be made
to fit? If you have any enterprise before you, try it in your old
clothes. All men want, not something to do with, but something to
do, or rather something to be. Perhaps we should never procure a
new suit, however ragged or dirty the old, until we have so
conducted, so enterprised or sailed in some way, that we feel like
new men in the old, and that to retain it would be like keeping new
wine in old bottles.

Henry David Thoreau Walden

• Like 1

True, i guess it could cut either way (a hungry go-getter or a desperate and unwarned individual) depending on the employer.

Anyways if the OP cannot assess his own situation and figure out which pair of pants to put on...I don't hold much hope for him becoming gainfully employed anywhere.

Agreed! And I really like this quote Phronesis put up. OP, go in there with your backpack on. Even sit in the chair with it. If they ask to take it from you, kindly respond "no thank you" and inform them that "this backback goes where I go".

Before I interviewed with my current employer (oil & gas industry) I checked their website to gain insight to their dress code. Noticed that everyone, from president of the company to the most junior worker all wore the same getup....jeans and the company polo-shirt.

So, with that info in hand I showed up for my 4 hour interview in.... a suite..... smile.png

Good luck n your interview no matter what you decide to wear.

Was it a 3-piece suite you turned up in,must have weighed a ton?

Agreed! And I really like this quote Phronesis put up. OP, go in there with your backpack on. Even sit in the chair with it. If they ask to take it from you, kindly respond "no thank you" and inform them that "this backback goes where I go".

Put your flip-flopped feet up on the desk and make sure they are pointed directly at the Thai lady HR Manager also,that should guarantee a response!

Does the prospective employer understand, or have knowledge of your circumstances, i.e. here on vacation?

Do you want the position?

That said, appearance means a lot here and you could be a convicted serial killer but still get a job here if you are tall, white, young, easy on the eyes and in a suit/tie(F-skirt). In my country, when you put lipstick on a pig it's still a pig, here when you put lipstick on a pig it is no longer a pig, it's something else altogether.

I'd make the necessary effort to purchase some sort of minimal requirement clothing, which you can of course use going forward.

Unless you are an unusual size then you should be able to find decent shoes, slacks, shirt and blazer in any major mall here in less than 30 minutes.

I have been in a similar position but I did have business casual clothes with me - no jacket however. I got the job.

Edited by lomatopo

As others have noted, it really does depend upon the position you're applying for. For anything other than power-sales business casual would work for me.

I've been for interviews fully suited and booted and failed to make an impression. I've also been for one interview in muddy site boots, cut off jeans, T-shirt, high-visibility jacket and hard hat. I got that one, the only difference between myself and the chap interviewing me was his hi-viz and hard hat were on the hat stand in his container (site office).

Come on, this is a strange question. It's common knowledge that you should always dress a tad better than what you expect others to wear at job interviews. If it's an IT company, then you can get away with kaki pants and shirt or even jeans and shirt as long as you have decent shoes. If it is finance/insurance/banking then wear a tie and a jacket to carry (not on because too hot). If it is advertising or some other 'creative' field then smart casual will do (that's not a polo and sneakers).

In all honesty I question your professionalism if you can't even afford $100 on some department store clothes. How do you think Thais dress? They certainly can't all afford brand clothing.

As others have noted, it really does depend upon the position you're applying for. For anything other than power-sales business casual would work for me.

I've been for interviews fully suited and booted and failed to make an impression. I've also been for one interview in muddy site boots, cut off jeans, T-shirt, high-visibility jacket and hard hat. I got that one, the only difference between myself and the chap interviewing me was his hi-viz and hard hat were on the hat stand in his container (site office).

yes. For a technician I wouldn't care at all, important is that he knows his things.

But for a sales guy he must make the right impression. Depending again if he sells screws to the backyard shops or if he sell investment products to the rich.

Ahh screw it I can't justify the shoe purchase. I just have no need for dress shoes. I got the collared shirt and pants and am buying some new trail runners. My plan was to make my way over to Nepal for the Annapurna circuit. I'll crack a joke about it at the interview.

Like someone else said if they can't get over that I don't want to work for them. As for the subconscious impression thing I think sitting down with the nice shirt will be good enough for that

• Like 1