Looking For A Long Time Rental On A Thai Island

Hi all

After two years of living in Bangkok I am considering moving to one of the islands for a year (at least for a start). I really enjoy my vacations in the Thai islands, especially the less developed ones such as Ko Chang, but have no clues about long term accommodation. How should I look for a place to stay? Are there monthly or yearly contracts available? Do places come furnished? And so on... In Bangkok there are so many options, just go to a condominium high rise and ask. So how does it work in the islands?

I am looking for a one-bedroom apartment and my budget would be up to 25,000 Baht per month. Any advice on how to start looking would be appreciated!

Thank you

Zak

Hi all

After two years of living in Bangkok I am considering moving to one of the islands for a year (at least for a start). I really enjoy my vacations in the Thai islands, especially the less developed ones such as Ko Chang, but have no clues about long term accommodation. How should I look for a place to stay? Are there monthly or yearly contracts available? Do places come furnished? And so on... In Bangkok there are so many options, just go to a condominium high rise and ask. So how does it work in the islands?

I am looking for a one-bedroom apartment and my budget would be up to 25,000 Baht per month. Any advice on how to start looking would be appreciated!

Thank you

Zak

I'm sure it works pretty much the same way. I've never rented an apartment on koh Chang but rented private owned hotel rooms or bungalows for longer term and price is always negotiable. Just find out the rack rate and then say what about one month, two month or whatever. Not many "condo" type apartments on koh Chang if that's what you are looking for though but I think that's kind of a good thing.

If you go look in the low season after songkran you can prob stay in white sand beach in a bungalow for 8-10k or less if you look around. Cheapest would prob be further away along the ring but then your kicking it in the jungle.

Maybe check out Krabi, Ao nang also more selection and bigger. Or koh Tao is pretty awesome.

Koh Samui is legendary for BS with Immigration.

Phuket and Lanta are only islands in technical sense. Phuket is BS as Lanta, plus Lanta is hot!

Koh Phangan - endemic theft

Koh Chang, not been since 97 but might be ok

Koh Tao - not for me, ugly, boring but people do live there.

Koh Lipe - too small, too packed with tourists

Koh Panyi - no drinking

Koh Phayam is my vote

All the rest of the islands are seasonal or require too much hardship for you for me to recommend. Evidence of this isthat you are asking this question.

For me, if I could Id pitch a tent on island ---- all season.

Edited by bangkokburning

Lived in Koh Samui on and off for 6 years until recently..made some good contacts, and i think its far nicer there than the likes of Phuket..renting is easy..I also know a thai lady there who knows the island inside out and is extremely honest and helpful..you could talk to her and tell her what youre looking for etc if Samui appeals ..just PM me and i will get you her contact info..she can arrange cheaper taxi's, house and land purchase/ rental etc