Mexico: Gunmen Kill 7 In Cancun Bar

News_Editor

<p> Mexico: Gunmen kill 7 in Cancun bar </p>< br />

<p>2013-03-16 11:47:03 GMT+7 (ICT) </p><br /> <p>CANCUN, MEXICO (BNO NEWS) -- At least seven people were killed after a group of gunmen opened fire at a bar in Mexico's popular beach resort of Cancun, officials said friday.<br /></p><br /><p>The incident occurred at around 5:30 p.m. local time at 'La Sirenita" bar, which is usually only visited by locals, when a group of gunmen using AK-47 rifles and 9 millimeter weapons opened fire.<br /></p><br /><p>The gunmen arrived in two vehicles and quickly opened fire without giving any warning. Seven people were confirmed dead, while five others were also injured. Reports indicate four of the fatal victims were regular customers, while three others were taxi drivers.<br /></p><br /><p>Attorney General for the state of Quintana Roo, Armando Garcia Torres, said the attack targeted taxi union leaders, as they were sitting at the table which was shot at.<br /></p><br /><p>Specifically, authorities said Francisco Achach Castro, the secretary for a local taxi union, was targeted. He was also the nephew of a former municipal president.<br /></p> <p> tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2013-03-16 </p>

You mean they were killed by a gun that wasn't even made in the US?

Cancun has been relatively peaceful, as I understand it. I hope this excessive violence doesn't spread to some of the safer areas of Mexico.

Edited by Credo

You mean they were killed by a gun that wasn't even made in the US?

Cancun has been relatively peaceful, as I understand it. I hope this excessive violence doesn't spread to some of the safer areas of Mexico.

Getting markedly worse down there, but new president, EPN, has all but silenced the press in most States. Reynosa was a blood bath this week with reports of 50 or more killed in just one day in violent shoot outs after leader of CDG, El Gringo, was killed.

They blocked major streets with busses and tractor trailers and went to war. Reports of grenades landing in Circus tent and civilians being caught in cross fire. No press reports coming out and EPN administration confirmed only two civilian deaths. Social media reports were reporting cartel loaded their dead into four or five pick up trucks.

Federal police or millitary not even show up untilhours after. The convalesced were driving trucks with blue flashing lights and kid napping people from various condos. One guy was beaten in the street and tied to truck and dragged around.

EPN's office has been declared off limits from press. Rumor has it EPN wants to down play violence to make first 100 days in office appear to be a success.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

Mexico is more dangerous in some places than others. There are places I wouldn't go, and places I feel safe. The same is true of any country I've been in including The US, Thailand, Canada and the UK.

Overall, Mexico isn't that dangerous. In fact, it has just a little more than 10% of the gun murders per capita compared to Thailand. Link

In any country, you want to know where not to go and it will help a lot.

I don't understand why these incidents are such international news. These and the rare airline crash are always big news.

Highway accidents cause 1.3 million deaths per year, worldwide. That's a number far higher than gun incidents. Thailand ranks right up there too per capita. Link Highway accidents including multiple deaths and criminal driving kill fewer than 10% of what auto accidents do worldwide. Link

It's always sad and frustrating to read about the gun deaths, and I'm sorry for those in Mexico who were killed. I just think it's overblown in the news.

$.02

Mexico is more dangerous in some places than others. There are places I wouldn't go, and places I feel safe. The same is true of any country I've been in including The US, Thailand, Canada and the UK.

Overall, Mexico isn't that dangerous. In fact, it has just a little more than 10% of the gun murders per capita compared to Thailand. Link

I don't understand why these incidents are such international news. These and the rare airline crash are always big news.

Highway accidents cause 1.3 million deaths per year, worldwide. That's a number far higher than gun incidents. Thailand ranks right up there too per capita. Link Highway accidents including multiple deaths and criminal driving kill fewer than 10% of what auto accidents do worldwide. Link

It's always sad and frustrating to read about the gun deaths, and I'm sorry for those in Mexico who were killed. I just think it's overblown in the news.

$.02

Problem is reporting. Most murder or gun crimes never reported or investigated. Many states have no law enforcement, judges or prosecutors because they and their families are assisnated. No crime reporting in those states.

Kidnappings are estimated at 72 last year and the fate of those people is not reported, but many mass graves and dismembered unidentified bodies are found.

This happened just last week. All main roads blocked with busses, trucks and road spikes. Listen to videos. This is a war zone. Estimated 50 dead, but only two deaths reported. Journalist are executed, some on video, and news centers shot up and torched who report cartel violence.

See War in Reynosa link.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2009/04/forum.html?m=1

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

$.02

The numbers of killed is probably not much higher in Mexico than before,but the methods of killing and abductions is done in such a grizzly way that it spreads fear in the communities where there is a war between the cartels.

Where else in the Western world are people tortured and killed by the dozens and then be hanged from brigdes or dumped in the middle of cities to spread fear and show strenght against a competing cartel ? Not to mention that in those areas police are almost non-existent,journalist are killed on a regular basis and the politicians or goverment officials who dare to stand up against the cartels are in a HIGH risk of getting abducted,tortured and killed.

• Like 1

$.02

The numbers of killed is probably not much higher in Mexico than before,but the methods of killing and abductions is done in such a grizzly way that it spreads fear in the communities where there is a war between the cartels.

Where else in the Western world are people tortured and killed by the dozens and then be hanged from brigdes or dumped in the middle of cities to spread fear and show strenght against a competing cartel ? Not to mention that in those areas police are almost non-existent,journalist are killed on a regular basis and the politicians or goverment officials who dare to stand up against the cartels are in a HIGH risk of getting abducted,tortured and killed.

Yeah, most are abducted at gun point then duct tapped, beat with baseball bats and dismembered while alive with machettes, axes or chain saws so machetes, axes or chains saws get credit for deaths I suppose. A lot are hanged from bridges as you say, butmost are tortured and dead when hung I guess.

For anyone to say it ain't that bad down there needs to crawl back under their rock and stop insulting people that are truly suffering. Shit is so bad down there it is beyond belief, although Cancun resort strip and Cozumel are reasonably safe but Zeras run those areas and will kidnap your ass for ransom if they think they can get some money for you.

$.02

Yeah, most are abducted at gun point then duct tapped, beat with baseball bats and dismembered while alive with machettes, axes or chain saws so machetes, axes or chains saws get credit for deaths I suppose. A lot are hanged from bridges as you say, butmost are tortured and dead when hung I guess.

For anyone to say it ain't that bad down there needs to crawl back under their rock and stop insulting people that are truly suffering. Shit is so bad down there it is beyond belief, although Cancun resort strip and Cozumel are reasonably safe but Zeras run those areas and will kidnap your ass for ransom if they think they can get some money for you.

So you don't drive your Ferrari or Lamborghini when you visit Cancun?

I've visited Mexico a dozen times, once drove down and up the entire west coast, including Baja. Glad I did my Mexican hat dance 20 to 30 years ago. Sad to hear about the multitudes of sufferers there now.

I use to make weekly/monthly trips to baja.

Sad to say that i dont think my 6yrold daughter will ever know the pleasure of a baja road/surf trip. :(

There was a time you could go down to baja with $10 and have a weekend including beers.

you had to camp on the beach, but hey, i was in college!

Sad to say that i dont think my 6yrold daughter will ever know the pleasure of a baja road/surf trip. :(

There was a time you could go down to baja with $10 and have a weekend including beers.

We used to frequent K38 and Isla Todos Santos which had some of the largest winter Pacific breaks in the world except for Hawaii North Shore or Waimea. Not recently though, too many car jackings, campers get robbed at gunpoint with their female companions getting raped. Cops don't care and may even be the one's doing all of this.

http://www.surfermag.com/features/carjackedmexicobaja/

• Like 2

$.02

So you don't drive your Ferrari or Lamborghini when you visit Cancun?

Old sourpuss. Have to change my name soon to 458 . . ., white to be exact. Never liked white on an F car until 458.

• Like 1

$.02

The official murder figures in Mexico are not even in the ball park with reality. The cartels dismember victims and dissolve them in vats of acid. Many videos circulating of this. Bodies are dumped in unmarked mass graves. Disappearances are not investigated as many are simply hoping over border. Cartels pick up their dead after gun battles so we get reports of 2 dead when estimates are 35 to 50. Press are executed so nothing gets reported accurately and government is underestimating numbers to make it look like they are successfully fighting crime.

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2013/mar/26/drug-war-death-tolls-a-guess-without-bodies/?ap&page=1

• Like 2

7 more shot and killed in a Chihauhau bar.

http://diario.mx/Estado/2013-03-29_0ffdf865/identifican-a-tres-de-las-victimas-de-masacre-en-bar-de-la-capital/

60 people kidnapped from their homes, tortured and killed in response to March 10 shoot out in Reynosa. Most appear to be famy members or girlfriends and their families of those in the CDG that splintered off and killed El Gringo, leader that many disliked of CDG.

http://narcconoticias.blogspot.com/2013/03/massacre-de-60-personas-por-el-cartel.html?m=1

Fact is more people are getting tortured and killed in violence every day in Mexico than in Afghanastan, Iran, Libya and perhaps even Syria, but the world does not care.

• Like 1

I use to go to baja once a month to relax and for beers-n-lobster. If you didnt go to Puerto Nuevo, Baja back in the 70's thru the 2000's, you missed some fun times.

But it's gotten way to dangerous. I dont even think about heading south of the border anymore :(

• Like 1

Another bar shooting. 4 dead including an American. 14 injured. Nah, Mexico ain't that bad.

http://www.24-horas.mx/ataques-a-bares-dejan-4-muertes-en-guadalajara/

For those that can not read language:

Attacks by an armed commando two bars in the City of Guadalajara left four people dead, including a U.S. citizen.

The group handles manned when two vehicles opened fire on nightclub Classic, east of the metropolis, which killed two people, a few minutes after 22:00.

The deceased were identified as Jerry Goemer, of American origin and Ramos Julio Cesar Chavez 19 years old.

Ten minutes later, the same convoy broke into the Route 66 bar located on Avenida Javier Mina, where is also located the site of the first attack, opened fire with a 9mm gun.

Local police said the armed group within the establishment threw a fragmentation grenade, leaving one worker seriously injured.

When trying to escape from the place died of gunshot wounds two men, identified as Hugo Rodriguez Espinoza client located bar and a waiter as Vicente.

Of the two attacks were a total of 14 people injured and authorities report that when there have been no arrests of people involved.

The movement of Javier Mina Avenue has been suspended for carrying out investigations.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

The fun stops.

http://procuraduria.tamaulipas.gob.mx/04/comunicado-de-la-procuraduria-general-de-justicia-del-estado-64/

Intepretatation.

On Sunday, March 31st, at 10 pm there was a report about 9 bodies inside an abandoned SUV on the road Victoria-Soto de la Marina, km. 7,5 by the ejido Santa Clara, Victoria municipality.

Staff from the PGJ found there a grey GMC Yukon with plates from Texas, 94 HFN 6.

Inside the vehicle the remains of 9 unidentified males, most of them dismembered. The bodies were sent to the forensics for the autopsy.

• Like 1

Sad to say that i dont think my 6yrold daughter will ever know the pleasure of a baja road/surf trip. sad.png

We used to frequent K38 and Isla Todos Santos which had some of the largest winter Pacific breaks in the world except for Hawaii North Shore or Waimea. Not recently though, too many car jackings, campers get robbed at gunpoint with their female companions getting raped. Cops don't care and may even be the one's doing all of this.

http://www.surfermag.com/features/carjackedmexicobaja/

Those were the days. Spent many weekend in rosarito, puerto nuevo, ensanada, and san quintin. I've never been below san quintin, I didnt trust the vw bus to make it that far and back biggrin.png Sounds like i missed out.

Waimea on a big day is scary. Never have seen the water have slope from the shore.

Damn, now you have me hungry for some matsumoto shave ice, and a lunch plate from the Rainbow Drive In! biggrin.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-10681249

What is the scale of the violence? Mexico ....

Keeping track of the drug deaths is difficult, as official figures have been issued sporadically. Most estimates put the number of people killed in drug-related violence since late 2006 at more than 60,000. Although there is no official breakdown of the numbers, the victims include suspected drug gang members, members of the security forces and those considered innocent bystanders. However, analysts have tracked an overall reduction in violence during 2012, continuing a trend from the previous year.

Where are the worst-hit areas?

Violence was first concentrated in Mexico's northern border regions, especially Chihuahua, as well as Pacific states like Sinaloa, Michoacan and Guerrero. Ciudad Juarez (just across from El Paso in Texas) was the most violent city. In 2010, some 3,100 people were killed in Juarez, which has a population of more than a million. Violence has now dropped markedly in Juarez.

However, Guerrero, home to the resort of Acapulco, as well as Sinaloa and Nuevo Leon remain among some of the most violent regions. One of the focal points for violence since 2010 has been Mexico's third-largest city, Monterrey.

2011 also saw new areas hit. For example, Veracruz on the eastern coast saw a series of mass killings.