If You Hate Thailand, Why Live Here ?

soi41

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have not seen anyone here say they hate Thailand. Maybe they hate certain aspects about it and so they post a complaint. What is wrong with that? It's opens up issues for discussion that may lead to better society and place to live - which is what most rational people want.

Thailand is not a great country and sure there are better places to be with greater freedoms, but it does have some things going for it - decent services and no capital gains tax!! So until I can comfortably retire in a better place, then I'll chose a country with the government that confiscates the least.

I love Thailand but then i have been here only about a year.

I spend all my time with thai people simply beacause there are few in any farangs in the villages and townes i stay. When i have a problem here with the people or their culture it is almost always because of me and my lack of ability to accept their ways, i am not at home and things will not change to my favour just because i want them to.

As i said before i love Thailand for many reasons but if this will change in the future wich im perfectly aware of that it can i will leave before i start to hate it.

Have not seen anyone here say they hate Thailand. Maybe they hate certain aspects about it and so they post a complaint. What is wrong with that? It's opens up issues for discussion that may lead to better society and place to live - which is what most rational people want.

Thailand is not a great country and sure there are better places to be with greater freedoms, but it does have some things going for it - decent services and no capital gains tax!! So until I can comfortably retire in a better place, then I'll chose a country with the government that confiscates the least.

I would agree. Thin skinned readers are inserting "hate" into criticism.

Criticism is essential to learning.

If you take your kid to a teacher or instructor and they decide to not correct or pick out bad behaviors then that is ultimate insult because they don't think the kid has any potential or the minimal self esteem to accept they are doing anything wrong.

But if the teacher goes around telling everyone who'll listen that this kid is stupid and retarded, he's not really helping the kid, is he?

Hating Thailand and choosing to live here aren't mutually incompatible; the best reason is that you hate your home country with an unbridled passion. Or, you hate Thailand and your home country to an equal extent but being able to sleep with 18-year old bar girls for 700baht makes living in Thailand more bearable.

1996 called and wanted to know whether you'll be home for dinner.

Maybe she meant a short nap.

If you take your kid to a teacher or instructor and they decide to not correct or pick out bad behaviors then that is ultimate insult because they don't think the kid has any potential or the minimal self esteem to accept they are doing anything wrong.

But if the teacher goes around telling everyone who'll listen that this kid is stupid and retarded, he's not really helping the kid, is he?

It should be constructive criticism but I have seen teachers and instructors successfully razz students into change by making fun of them.

I for one was greatly helped by martial arts instructors who made fun of me.. If nothing else it taught me to loosen up and not worry about making mistakes. After someone calls me as "graceful as a drunk bear" and my world didn't end then what is there to worry about?

It's not good for students with very low self esteem however.

There is a saying... "Don't pray for a light load.. Pray for a strong back"

It should be constructive criticism but I have seen teachers and instructors successfully razz students into change by making fun of them.

I for one was greatly helped by martial arts instructors who made fun of me.. If nothing else it taught me to loosen up and not worry about making mistakes. After someone calls me as "graceful as a drunk bear" and my world didn't end then what is there to worry about?

It's not good for students with very low self esteem however.

There is a saying... "Don't pray for a light load.. Pray for a strong back"

I was actually referring more to what goes on in the ThaiVisa forums on a daily basis.

I complain about Cambodia & Laos but we continue to run businesses there, I complain about Hua Hin but can't resist the family compound there, I complain about Bangkok traffic and worse but continue to live here...So when farangs complain about Thailand its cos' a part of them is tied to the place, hence they cannot bear to see Thailand continue a process of slow decay - with 000 police, corrupt govt, garbage piled high on streets, no road rules.......(think I've covered some of the main ones thumbsup.gif on behalf of my farang friends).

Many Thais like me who studied in Spore or Hkg, Taiwan, Japan......and returned share the sentiment of complaining farang. People hope that somewhere someone will listen to the complain or curse even if its only little TV. Others simply want to vent. Each to their own. The question 'why live here' is therefore quite stupid. Its like asking a man who regularly vents about his dislike for bad smells "Why do you shit"?. After all its something normal people do, some more often than others. The question "Why do you live here" is quite idiotic. What Thailand does not need is "apologists" and definitely not farang ones.

Are you really Thai? Surely, you can't be that naive. Farangs on TV don't usually provide constructive criticism about the Thais and Thailand. They usually complain to insult and criticize the Thais. Why is there corruption in Thailand? Because ALL Thais are dishonest, morally corrupt, greedy, and untrustworthy. Why are the roads dangerous? Because ALL Thais are stupid, selfish, reckless, and can't be expected to police themselves. Why have so many farang men been fleeced by Thai women? Because ALL Thai women are lying, conniving, lazy, and evil.

Farangs will meet one or two bad Thais and conclude that ALL Thais are that way. This includes YOU. Unless you have some sort of bright wording tattooed on your forehead that says "westerner in a Thai body."

I don´t know what's worse, stereotyping farangs or Thai apologists... really...

• Like 1

I don't hate 'Thailand'.

I just don't like Thai culture, society or the average Thai.

Which is why I'm perfectly happy having almost zero interaction with them while living here in a nice, pretty country. smile.png

Works for me. But I guess haters gonna hate. wink.png

This mirrors my sentiments almost exactly.

The is nothing wrong with living here, minding your own business and having a nice peaceful life.

I also despise having to deal with any of the locals in any way shape or form.

It would be interesting to hear from the posters that "love Thailand" how long they've been here.

I have been here 15 years and don't think i would live anywhere else however had i know 15 years ago what i know now about the country & people i would not have stayed!

I hate almost every one, male or female, Thai or foreigner.

Why pick on just Thais to avoid!

• Like 2

There is positive criticism and then there "put downs" which is negative criticism. One helps the student and the other harms the student. I THINK that Time Traveler meant possitive criticism. I've been the recipient of negative criticism and all that did was make me angry. However, when people pointed out my mistakes and showed me how I could do better then I excelled.

Hate or love?? Nope just home. Just as Canada was at one time or Mexico. You work, fall in love, raise a family, build a home. The rest is just like the chicken sh>t scattered around the yard, you know it is there but as long as you don't track into the house who cares.

• Like 2

I complain about Cambodia & Laos but we continue to run businesses there, I complain about Hua Hin but can't resist the family compound there, I complain about Bangkok traffic and worse but continue to live here...So when farangs complain about Thailand its cos' a part of them is tied to the place, hence they cannot bear to see Thailand continue a process of slow decay - with 000 police, corrupt govt, garbage piled high on streets, no road rules.......(think I've covered some of the main ones thumbsup.gif on behalf of my farang friends).

Many Thais like me who studied in Spore or Hkg, Taiwan, Japan......and returned share the sentiment of complaining farang. People hope that somewhere someone will listen to the complain or curse even if its only little TV. Others simply want to vent. Each to their own. The question 'why live here' is therefore quite stupid. Its like asking a man who regularly vents about his dislike for bad smells "Why do you shit"?. After all its something normal people do, some more often than others. The question "Why do you live here" is quite idiotic. What Thailand does not need is "apologists" and definitely not farang ones.

Are you really Thai? Surely, you can't be that naive. Farangs on TV don't usually provide constructive criticism about the Thais and Thailand. They usually complain to insult and criticize the Thais. Why is there corruption in Thailand? Because ALL Thais are dishonest, morally corrupt, greedy, and untrustworthy. Why are the roads dangerous? Because ALL Thais are stupid, selfish, reckless, and can't be expected to police themselves. Why have so many farang men been fleeced by Thai women? Because ALL Thai women are lying, conniving, lazy, and evil.

Farangs will meet one or two bad Thais and conclude that ALL Thais are that way. This includes YOU. Unless you have some sort of bright wording tattooed on your forehead that says "westerner in a Thai body."

I don´t know what's worse, stereotyping farangs or Thai apologists... really...

hahahaha. So correct. Critical farangs and Thai apologists with the truth maybe somewhere in-between. Being part-Thai and part-farang means its hard to be offended or even bothered with what people think.

There is positive criticism and then there "put downs" which is negative criticism. One helps the student and the other harms the student. I THINK that Time Traveler meant possitive criticism. I've been the recipient of negative criticism and all that did was make me angry. However, when people pointed out my mistakes and showed me how I could do better then I excelled.

Your personal level of self esteem color whether something is perceived by you as being positive or negative.. Lose sight of that and you have lost control of your GPS system.

Ever see the Dalai Lama offended? Ranting about China or leaf blowers in his neighborhood?

As the ultimate Buddhist how is he able to turn all negativity into positivity?

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

So you think it all has to do with having had one or two, well let's be generous and say five, bad experiences ?

//No it is not your pathetic visaruns, making the numbers.//

Don't you ever dare to call visa runners as pathetic! Many of us had to go through that sh*t before we finally could (or could not) get settled.

Sorry for a bad choice of words.wai2.gif But when TAT published last years touristnumbers, quite a few of "everything-Thai-is-bad"-posters here, called them liars and cheaters, and one of their arguments were that visarunners were included in the statistics. So the pathetic wording was really directed at those posters. Clear as mud!! sad.png

So you think it all has to do with having had one or two, well let's be generous and say five, bad experiences ?

...Per day, per week or in total ?

Driving alone gets me past that figure......

• Like 1

I don't hate 'Thailand'.

I just don't like Thai culture, society or the average Thai.

Which is why I'm perfectly happy having almost zero interaction with them while living here in a nice, pretty country. smile.png

Works for me. But I guess haters gonna hate. wink.png

This mirrors my sentiments almost exactly.

The is nothing wrong with living here, minding your own business and having a nice peaceful life.

I also despise having to deal with any of the locals in any way shape or form.

It would be interesting to hear from the posters that "love Thailand" how long they've been here.

I have been here 15 years and don't think i would live anywhere else however had i know 15 years ago what i know now about the country & people i would not have stayed!

I hate almost every one, male or female, Thai or foreigner.

Why pick on just Thais to avoid!

I actually respect this more. A true equal opportunity hater! Rock on.

• Like 1

hahahaha. So correct. Critical farangs and Thai apologists with the truth maybe somewhere in-between. Being part-Thai and part-farang means its hard to be offended or even bothered with what people think.

Did you even get the jest of what I was trying to say? Apparently not. If you're trying to kiss-up to the true Thai-haters on this forum, you're not going to win any points. It's sort of like a Jew kissing-up to the Nazis back in the day to try and gain sympathy. At the end of the day, they're still a Jew. Just like you're still a Thai...half or whatever.

• Like 1

I love it here and would never go back to my home country. Thailand is all I think about when I am at work. Deffo not a "Back Omer here"

Your post suggests that you are not here at the moment ?

(i.e. don't work in Thailand)

A truck ran over my pet bird last night. I guess I could get upset at the Thai driver. But the bird was walking down the middle of the street. I shooed the bird off the street a number of times and told her it was not safe. But she kept up her habit of walking down the middle of the street. I knew it would eventually end in tragedy. My dog thought the bird was a chicken and wanted to ear her as did the other dogs around the house. Although I feel sad today I don't blame it on Thailand or Thai dogs or Thai truck drivers or Thai pigeons (my bird was a pigeon).

I love it here and would never go back to my home country. Thailand is all I think about when I am at work. Deffo not a "Back Omer here"

Aye rotation work. 28 days work then 28 days back in Thailand. Miss it when I am here and love it when I am there!

Aye rotation work. 28 days work then 28 days back in Thailand. Miss it when I am here and love it when I am there!

Understood - and with all due respect a month on/month off does not usually give you the 'full picture' of Thais/Thailand.

I accept that everyone is different but many people I see doing the month on/month off thing tend to live like tourists when they are here. I am just suggesting that that lifestyle doesn't always allow you to see the 'real' Thailand.

• Like 1

A truck ran over my pet bird last night. I guess I could get upset at the Thai driver. But the bird was walking down the middle of the street. I shooed the bird off the street a number of times and told her it was not safe. But she kept up her habit of walking down the middle of the street. I knew it would eventually end in tragedy. My dog thought the bird was a chicken and wanted to ear her as did the other dogs around the house. Although I feel sad today I don't blame it on Thailand or Thai dogs or Thai truck drivers or Thai pigeons (my bird was a pigeon).

It is always hard to lose a loved one :( you have my symphaty.

Understood - and with all due respect a month on/month off does not usually give you the 'full picture' of Thais/Thailand.

I accept that everyone is different but many people I see doing the month on/month off thing tend to live like tourists when they are here. I am just suggesting that that lifestyle doesn't always allow you to see the 'real' Thailand.

Surely with your eyes open you can see it or can read about the real Thailand on TV.

We have all different options and points of view on here which is only right but how often do people change there mind that is the question