Smog 'red Alert' For North Thailand

Lite Beer

Smog 'red alert' for Thailand's northern residents.
By Digital Media

13635907847289-640x390x2.jpg

MAE HONG SON, March 18 - Illegal 'slash and burn' agriculture in Thailand's North has worsened the air quality in this northern province where dust particles have reached the record level of 200 microgrammes per cubic metre, a health official said today.

Mae Hong Son health officer Paisal Tanyavinitkul said the smog and dust from forest fires has covered this northern province for over a week and the health office has provided 30,000 masks for distribution to people.

People have been told to wear masks when they leave homes and refrain from outdoor exercise, said the doctor.

An air quality survey by the Office of Natural Resources and Environment found 31 hot spots throughout Mae Hong Son, including the tourist town of Pai where an average 24-hour dust level was measured at 205 microgrammes.

Children and elderly people at risk at this dust level, according to the office. The standard level is 120 microgrammes.

During March 3-10, hospitals in Mae Hong Son treated 1,049 patients for heart and coronary artery diseases, and 923 people with respiratory diseases. (MCOT online news).

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-03-18

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are us mugs up here in the North mean`t to do about it?

Walk about in a giant bubble? Hold our breaths for the next few months?

Move?

We were considering moving further north but are heading SE instead now; no smog, flooding or Tsunami.

Daresay something else will get us instead :-)

• Like 2

Not that bad this year in Chiang Mai. Today a nice breeze came into the valley and most smog disappeared and the wind has changed to southern directions.

Edited by Joop50
  • Like 1

The smog hasn't been quite as severe this year as, say, last year. 2010 was pretty bad and 2007 was ridiculous. Thanks to a few lucky rains at the start of this month the air got clearer, but since around mid last week the haze has picked up considerably. All we need is another decent rain or even some nice wind and it should improve. Most years it clears out by end of March as farmers stop burning and start planting, hopefully in conjunction with the onset of rainy season. You can check pollution levels on http://aqmthai.com.

...can someone point out the normal or safe level so we can have some perspective here.....

Wait until the rains start, then the hill/mountain sides will be too wet to burn and your area will be smoke free again. The only way because no one will stop the firing of land--CRAZY

...can someone point out the normal or safe level so we can have some perspective here.....

They did in the article: they said 120 microgrammes was average

The article is TOTALLY WRONG . 120 is the maximum safe level published by the Thai government and is considerered to be unsafe - - 120 is the level above which there are health problems. A level of 200 will cause many severe problems for young children and seniors.

'Normal ? A reading of 20 to 40 would probably be considered normal in Chiang Mai, for a day with no wind or rain.

By the way, the masks being disributed by the Health Ministry are only minimal assistance, and cloth masks are almost useless, unless dampened frequently. Go to a good pharmacy or private hospital pharmacy and ask for N95 masks or better - N95 is an international standard of filtration which is recognized in Thailand.

stop being so negative

Another chance for a smiling Yingluck on a huge poster saying 'stop burning'!

Wonder if she thinks it's for the benefit of Thailand (and her supporters are in the North don't forget), or whether she just sees it as a chance to get her face on a poster.

Edited by Noistar
  • Like 1

We're up in Fang and the smoke is awful. Hillbillies are walking

around starting random fires where ever they like. Not only air pollution

but the effect it has on wildlife especially birds in this the breeding

season. All ground nesting birds that where unlucky enough to lay eggs

in the wrong place lose their family. It kills all insects which in turn

means birds have trouble finding food.

Until the authorities can be bothered to get involved, nothing will get done.

The word conservation means very little here.

Well said. I wish someone (higher up) would listen to you!

Why here no one talk about the different

Standard and quility types of a good breathing mask system ?

What kind have good protection?

I bought a 3 m breathing mask for 70€ 3 m company and always when the pesticide car cone in Isaan to kill Miskito

I run and take the mask!

I not believe that a 20 bath farmacy mask realy help!..

I live S/E of Udon Thani, in the rice fields there. The smog and smoke are now so thick in the evenings, That you can actually look directly at the sun with no ill effects. Very little of the suns rays are able to penetrate it because of no winds to move it away. The locals, of course are not helping either, they have torched everything for klicks in all directions. Been like this as long as I have been here. Nothing has changed nor will it........

Why here no one talk about the different Standard and quility types of a good breathing mask system ? What kind have good protection? I bought a 3 m breathing mask for 70€ 3 m company and always when the pesticide car cone in Isaan to kill Miskito I run and take the mask! I not believe that a 20 bath farmacy mask realy help!..

Purchase N95 or better masks......