Just Bought A Dash Cam. Does In Need A Sd Card?

giddyup

Never had one of these before, so not sure about the operation. It has a slot for a Micro SD card, but does it need one to operate? These are the specs.

* 140 Degree Lens

* 180 Degree Rotating Lens

* 270 Degree Rotating Display

* 360 Degree Image Capture

* 1080P Full HD Resolution Video 1080P : 1440

*1080 15@fps 720P : 1280

*720 30@fps 480P : 720*480 30@fps

* Smaller Size

* 1/3.2 CMOS, Low Illumination

* 2.0 LTPS TFT LCD

* Switch between Day and Night working status

* Night Vision Function

* Li-ion Battery Built-in

* Recording Video while Recharging

* Support TF Card from 512M to 32GB

* Anti-shaking Function

* Auto-recording

* HDMI Out

* Preview Function

post-130068-0-15387900-1363689006_thumb.

As far as I'm aware . Yes it does. It has no other inbuilt memory.

Where did you buy?

Bought from Ebay (China), $34 delivered. I've tried going into the set-up function but nothing comes up. It does actually ask to insert SD card so I'll order a 8GB (should be big enough) one from Ebay. First impressions, it looks fairly good quality, but time will tell. Still, for $34 what can you expect?

Umm why not just go to Tesco lotus and buy an SD card?

Your only going to save pennies ordering from eBay blink.png

Too late, ordered a Sandisk 8GB from Ebay for $8 delivered. No idea how much they are in Tesco.

That's exact same model I have, yes, you may need to buy an SD card if one is not included.

I use a 16GB card in mine, it records for about 4 Hours before overwriting earliest recordings.

Edited by Satcommlee

That's exact same model I have, yes, you may need to buy an SD card if one is not included.

I use a 16GB card in mine, it records for about 4 Hours before overwriting earliest recordings.

Where did you mount yours and do you leave it permanently in place or remove it when you leave the car? I was thinking of mounting mine on the dash rather than the windscreen, then you don't have the power wire hanging down. I'm just not sure how well the suction cup will adhere to the vinyl dash. I figure 8GB should give me two hours of recording, I don't know of a situation where you would need to record longer than that. Edited by giddyup

Where did you mount yours and do you leave it permanently in place or remove it when you leave the car? I was thinking of mounting mine on the dash rather than the windscreen, then you don't have the power wire hanging down. I'm just not sure how well the suction cup will adhere to the vinyl dash.

I actually scrapped the suction mount that came with it.

I placed it permanently with double sided sticky tape on the ceiling next to the passenger sun blind.

I hid the cable between the foam ceiling and the bodywork, and then behind the plastic strip that runs between the door and windshield and then into the glovebox, where a number of gadgets are housed with a 4 way cigar socket power adapter.

I think it needs to be higher and looking downwards for best field of view.

Edited by Satcommlee

Where did you mount yours and do you leave it permanently in place or remove it when you leave the car? I was thinking of mounting mine on the dash rather than the windscreen, then you don't have the power wire hanging down. I'm just not sure how well the suction cup will adhere to the vinyl dash.

I placed it permanently with double sided sticky tape on the ceiling next to the passenger sun blind.

I hid the cable between the foam ceiling and the bodywork, and then behind the plastic strip that runs between the door and windshield and then into the glovebox, where a number of gadgets are housed with a 4 way cigar socket power adapter.

Have you ever tried to view the captured image on your TV? Is it clear and in colour?

Have you ever tried to view the captured image on your TV? Is it clear and in colour?

It is pretty clear in good light, reasonable in low light, pretty poor at Night (Headlights).. and they come through as 4:3 and not 16:9 so not true HD which the specs have you believe.

There is some difficulty playing the video on a PC (by inserting the SD card), but I found that the VLC media player can cope with it.

Where did you buy?

Bought from Ebay (China), $34 delivered. I've tried going into the set-up function but nothing comes up. It does actually ask to insert SD card so I'll order a 8GB (should be big enough) one from Ebay. First impressions, it looks fairly good quality, but time will tell. Still, for $34 what can you expect?

Who was the seller? Do you have the auction number please?

Any pictures of installed

Very similar to one I bought in Tukcom Pattaya last year... forget how much though. I used the suction mount and it is in the top right corner of the windshield. That keeps it well out of the drivers line of sight, doesn't get in the way of the sun visor and makes for an easy cable run tucked inside the headliner, A-pillar cover and under the non-skid dash mat to the cig lighter. I will post some pics tomorrow; a bit too dark right now!

Where did you buy?

Who was the seller? Do you have the auction number please?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221139448985?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Here's how my camera is installed. Since there's heavy foil and other stuff around the rear-view mirror and the limitations of the bracket (meant the flip out viewing screen was hidden from view), I stuck it in the extreme top-right corner. The picture from the drivers seat may give the impression that it clutters the field of vision but it doesn't really show the perspective where the camera, being at the top of the windshield is nearer the driver so you see 'under and around' it. Pretty much the same way as the rear-view mirror location doesn't make a blind spot either.

The only addition I made was a 90-degree adapter for the mini-USB power connector so that the cable lies flush with the camera body and doesn't stick out and down so makes a neater looking installation.

post-35874-0-99318800-1363843912_thumb.jpost-35874-0-60164500-1363843928_thumb.jpost-35874-0-61230100-1363843942_thumb.j

Edited by NanLaew

Do any of these units also record audio at driver's option? Thinking of roadside shake-downs by the BIB. Maybe they would think twice if they knew they were under surveillance.

Ours records audio all the time, or not at all (menu selectable), it's also a dual camera model with the inside camera trained on the drivers window, quite effective on the BiB smile.png

Do any of these units also record audio at driver's option? Thinking of roadside shake-downs by the BIB. Maybe they would think twice if they knew they were under surveillance.

Ours records audio all the time, or not at all (menu selectable), it's also a dual camera model with the inside camera trained on the drivers window, quite effective on the BiB smile.png
Would a disclosure, like a sign,decal sticker, or something be useful advising anybody they could be recorded?

Mine records Audio, I would have thought most would.

Do these things have changeable batteries and how long do they run on 1 charge ?

They do have an internally rechargeable battery, but I have mine in ignition mode, it records only in the presence of ignition voltage.

I think there is a way that you can pick up the camera using internal battery power and take it outside to survey damage for example.