Beware: Hindu Fortune Teller Scammer

thailandist

I got told by local friends that there are falang scammers here just walking about asking to borrow cash.

Sounds odd but believable.

Yes, there are. There are at least a couple of farangs in town that will approach Western tourists and tell them that they just got mugged and their passport & wallet was stolen, and then make an emotional appeal along the lines of "could you help me out with a few baht until I get some money wired over from the States?"

American?

I've never run into any American's doing this, but have encountered a couple of Aussies.

I've met some American fortune tellers though. Goldman Sachs, Lehmann Bros, to name a few. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I got told by local friends that there are falang scammers here just walking about asking to borrow cash.

Sounds odd but believable.

Yes, there are. There are at least a couple of farangs in town that will approach Western tourists and tell them that they just got mugged and their passport & wallet was stolen, and then make an emotional appeal along the lines of "could you help me out with a few baht until I get some money wired over from the States?"

American?

I've never run into any American's doing this, but have encountered a couple of Aussies.

They might claim a different nationality depending upon what country their mark is from.

"A fortune teller scamming someone, next thing you will try to tell me is that palm readers are a scam also"

Dennis Hands-Reader is in town. I don't know if he really has the gift, but he is sincere and often does not even charge for a reading.

Edited by Ulysses G.

telling me he was a vessel of god and god told him to talk to me.

I would have asked him to pour me a coffee before he goes much further

I would ask him for the first prize winning ticket numbers for the coming lottery draw...and to wait for me at the same spot on the result day so that i can donate generously...tongue.png

I ended up asking him for my phone number instead. I said if he was a vessel of a god that is telling him to target me then his god should probably be able to give him my phone number as well. The conversation ended quickly after that.

Are you sure he was a Hindu? Most of the sub-continent palm readers/fortune tellers that try to come into my place are Sikhs. Well that's what they tell me they are. We do have a Tarot card reader amongst our regulars, but he's Australian.