Danish Businessman Attacked And Robbed In Pattaya

webfact

I can see you guysw does not know anything about business in Thailand !

Why is there so many ATM machines ? More then in any other country in the World (based on machines per capital) !

It is because all business are done in cash, not all, but most, go one day to the land office and sit down there, then you will se more cash then you ever had seen in your life, properties for many Mill. are paid for in cash.

Had a friend who just sold 7 shophouses lately, more then nhalf of them was paif in cash, avg. 5 Mill. each.

I had seen big European tour operators, they had to pay the airport in cash, Millions each week.

Do you think any want to take Bank cheques here ??? No one trust Thai banks !!

The system here in Thailand is so old, it is like in Europe 30-40 years ago.

No one trust anyone, they all think the other part steal, and with good reason, been living here 17 years, i always say to my friends home, they should be glad for having all these honest Polish chaps around

Have done some business here in the past around this guys figure of 400.000 always did it in the bank with the second party seeing the transfer from my account to theirs, just common sense in this violent lawless country.

Call me crazy but internet banking transfers have only being available for a few months, prior to that you could not transfer funds via Internet.

So you saying the second party and yourself went into the branch to watch the transfer, or how exactly did you do something which was not available?

I have been doing every day business and have not found this country to be violent or lawless, but i guess i also can not do the impossible:thumbsup:

That is indeed strange. I and many others have used Thai internet banking for transfers etc. for years. Cannot even remember how many years. I googled it, and according to google, it was first introduced by Siam Commercial Bank in 1999, so around 14 years a go!

Internet banking and transfers between accounts not of the same account holder are 2 different things.

K bank just introduced Internet transfers to other banks or different account names.

ie you could always check your account balance and transactions and even pay some bills, but not transfer funds to other banks, same bank but different account holders or international

Edited by lemoncake

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand this discussion about cash or bank transfer.

I always use bank transfer when its possible. Especially if I need to pay bills over 5000 baht.

When I rented in the past I asked for a bank account after I paid the deposit in cash and the owner always agreed on that.

All transactions goes from my bank account. I use my Kasikorn debitcard in all the shops except 7 eleven . And most importantly , I never carry a lot of cash with me , maximum 2-3000 baht .

Edited by balo

I can say so much that i had done business in Asia the last 27 years, lived in Thailand the last 17, been a director in a Thai company for 15 years !

Yes i know something about what is going on !

I hat seen it, tried it etc.

Thailand is the most dis-honest place to do business in Asia PERIOD !!!

And yet you still believe that most/all business transactions are made by cash :-)

Most farang bar or house owners in Thailand are directors in a Thai company, so that in itself does not say alot about one's business experience. (Not saying that you own a bar or house, just an example)

I do agree there is a lot of dishonesty, but it seems to be concentrated mainly in the small business sector - and more so in certain grey area sectors. Many medium and most large businesses such as those listed on the MAI or SET) are run by professional management, everything is done according to contract and transactions are not done by cash in shady rooms full of family members and guards.

Very much are !

Just today i whent to 3BB to get an upgrade to 30 MB fiber, when i was waiting on the right people to talk to, and waiting on they found out of if there was fiber available in my area, at lest 20 business´s paid their TT&T bill with cash !

Makro does only accpt cash !

Same with several other wholesale companies, pay with cash or 1 specified debit/credit card !!

Remember 20 Million people in Thailand is registered as "bad payers"! so they can not own a credit card, i also think it will be difficult for them to get a cheque book !

But of course Monkeycountry you are so clever, so no one can even get close to you !

You had shown you know nothing, so please keep all the bullshit for yourself !

I can't help but notice that the only business transactions you seem to be involved in, or even see, is when you are standing in line at a counter paying your various day to day bills. How would you ever find out this way if one business was paying another business by sending a cheque or making a transfer? My point is that most business between two companies (not between companies and consumers) is done from one accounts department to another, not at a counter at a TT&T shop or Macro. I actually doubt counter staff even know how to deal with issues such as withholding tax, which is required by law on many transactions.

Big restaurants and hotels etc. do not run around with a trolley in Macro, they have food delivered to them by truck from one of the many wholesale food supply companies - and pay their bills once a month. Bars too, even smaller ones, have alcohol, soft drinks, ice etc. delivered by truck, they do not buy it in Macro, you must have seen that many times in Pattaya with it's many bars.

I am sure you are right there are alot (20 million) bad payers in Thailand, who can't get credit cards or cheque books, but most of those are probably broke consumers, vendors etc. not serious business owners.

Anyway, we obviously have very different business experiences, so lets just agree to disagree :-)

This thread has went from a story about a guy being robbed and beaten, to a thread about how to transfer money, and everyone seems to know how everyone else does business. We all do it in different ways. The guy did a business deal, and carried the money, just for that deal. Nothing said about carrying large sums of money on an every day basis. I have bought some big items with cash, and never thought that the person selling me his truck, or business, was going to rob me, but then maybe I should have thought about it. Also some of us carry large amounts of money from the bank, back to home, but we dont carry in around in our pockets every day. Someone doing business with the same person, for two years, should not expect to be robbed and beaten by this person!

• Like 1

Call me crazy but internet banking transfers have only being available for a few months, prior to that you could not transfer funds via Internet.

So you saying the second party and yourself went into the branch to watch the transfer, or how exactly did you do something which was not available?

I have been doing every day business and have not found this country to be violent or lawless, but i guess i also can not do the impossible:thumbsup:

That is indeed strange. I and many others have used Thai internet banking for transfers etc. for years. Cannot even remember how many years. I googled it, and according to google, it was first introduced by Siam Commercial Bank in 1999, so around 14 years a go!

Internet banking and transfers between accounts not of the same account holder are 2 different things.

K bank just introduced Internet transfers to other banks or different account names.

ie you could always check your account balance and transactions and even pay some bills, but not transfer funds to other banks, same bank but different account holders or international

I googled the matter reg. Kbank, and it seems we are both right. Transfers inside Thailand from one Thai account to another, including to different banks, have been around for years. What was introduced by Kbank a few months ago was internet transfers to foreign currency accounts. Ie. a transfer in Thai Baht from a Thai account, to a US dollar account in Singapore or similar.

That is incorrect.

Before if you wanted to transfer from your kbank account to another bank in Thailand, you had to add the account, print the page, go to the branch, provide few dozen documents, and then that account would be added for you to make transfers.

Few months ago, they made it more of a real Internet Banking, where you simply add the account and make the transfer.

International fund transfer is so new that none of the branches have any idea what and how it works.

You still need to add account, that account in another country can ONLY be in your name, then go to the branch with a few page form, then in the branch you get countless dirty looks because no one knows what to do, then if you lucky, they will call call center who will advise them to take all documents and fax it.

After its faxed, you will get few more phone calls asking for additional papers and eventually if you lucky, it gets approved, HOWEVER your account in Thailand and account in your home country must be identical name. So if here you have Alexander, it must be the same in your home country.

If for example account in your home country is Alex, instead of Alexander, it can not be approved, because local banks do not comprehend that its the same name, just shortened.

Back to OP, point is large transactions are done with the cheque

As i said before, i rent one premises with the said family and it was made very clear at the time of signing the lease for cheque to be made out and the name of the person. This is even stated in the contract.

I had to get 2 cheques, because the amount was high enough that if deposited into the bank, bank must notify revenue department (or something along the lines), so they asked for 2 cheques in 2 different names.

Lawyer was present, everything was professional and very pleasant.

After signing, we all went for a cup of coffee and since then, i have never had any hassles with that family.

Sometimes, i pay rent late by a week or so, but they never call or remind or anything.

If have a problem with something, i call them, and someone comes out same or next day and we agree on who pays for what.

Edited by lemoncake

Big restaurants and hotels etc. do not run around with a trolley in Macro, they have food delivered to them by truck from one of the many wholesale food supply companies - and pay their bills once a month. Bars too, even smaller ones, have alcohol, soft drinks, ice etc. delivered by truck, they do not buy it in Macro, you must have seen that many times in Pattaya with it's many bars.

Actually I have seen some staff (and owners!) of fairly high-profile Pattaya restaurants shoving a huge trolley around Makro on occasions. Though clearly the same places do also have deliveries as you mention.

I can fully understand that deliveries of perishables or supermarket shopping would often involve cash payments (given the here-today-gone-today nature of many Pattaya businesses anything else would be surprising), but I doubt that the same places pay their rent in cash, unless there is something dodgy about the rental price. And I see no reason for any of them to pay their electricity bill in cash any more than I do.

I have bought some big items with cash, and never thought that the person selling me his truck, or business, was going to rob me, but then maybe I should have thought about it. Also some of us carry large amounts of money from the bank, back to home, but we dont carry in around in our pockets every day. Someone doing business with the same person, for two years, should not expect to be robbed and beaten by this person!

I think the whole point of the discussion is that if you pay cash for anything you cant really be sure about what is going to happen. Paying via some traceable banking system removes a lot of potential problems.

In Central I carried 2MB in cash from one bank branch to deposit it in my account in another bank next door because the first bank wanted to charge me 25B for sending it electronically to the second bank, and there was nothing crooked about this. But I wouldn't buy a condo or car the same way, nor would I keep the cash at home or wander around the streets with it.

I don't understand this discussion about cash or bank transfer.

I always use bank transfer when its possible. Especially if I need to pay bills over 5000 baht.

When I rented in the past I asked for a bank account after I paid the deposit in cash and the owner always agreed on that.

All transactions goes from my bank account. I use my Kasikorn debitcard in all the shops except 7 eleven . And most importantly , I never carry a lot of cash with me , maximum 2-3000 baht .

We are not talking about few thousand baht, but a few hundred thousand baht.

Actually I have seen some staff (and owners!) of fairly high-profile Pattaya restaurants shoving a huge trolley around Makro on occasions. Though clearly the same places do also have deliveries as you mention.

I can fully understand that deliveries of perishables or supermarket shopping would often involve cash payments (given the here-today-gone-today nature of many Pattaya businesses anything else would be surprising), but I doubt that the same places pay their rent in cash, unless there is something dodgy about the rental price. And I see no reason for any of them to pay their electricity bill in cash any more than I do.

clap2.gif

I push that trolley at Macro every Sunday, while i am not high profile, but business is business and every owner does what it must.

Also keep in mind, if one needed to do some major shopping, i doubt too many owners would hand over 50k or so to their staff in hope they will return, as it is rather common, some staff may not return.

I mate of mine sent one of his staff to buy some things from BKK with 10k, that staff did not return for 2 monthsgiggle.gif

I've down business in Central America, Cambodia, and Vietnam and it's always been in a very public and nuetral place with several colleagues in tow (or at the very least hanging out at the next table). I feel bad for the guy but transfering that amount of money should have been done a little more wisely.

That is incorrect.

Before if you wanted to transfer from your kbank account to another bank in Thailand, you had to add the account, print the page, go to the branch, provide few dozen documents, and then that account would be added for you to make transfers.

Few months ago, they made it more of a real Internet Banking, where you simply add the account and make the transfer.

International fund transfer is so new that none of the branches have any idea what and how it works.

You still need to add account, that account in another country can ONLY be in your name, then go to the branch with a few page form, then in the branch you get countless dirty looks because no one knows what to do, then if you lucky, they will call call center who will advise them to take all documents and fax it.

After its faxed, you will get few more phone calls asking for additional papers and eventually if you lucky, it gets approved, HOWEVER your account in Thailand and account in your home country must be identical name. So if here you have Alexander, it must be the same in your home country.

If for example account in your home country is Alex, instead of Alexander, it can not be approved, because local banks do not comprehend that its the same name, just shortened.

As i said before, i rent one premises with the said family and it was made very clear at the time of signing the lease for cheque to be made out and the name of the person. This is even stated in the contract.

I had to get 2 cheques, because the amount was high enough that if deposited into the bank, bank must notify revenue department (or something along the lines), so they asked for 2 cheques in 2 different names.

After signing, we all went for a cup of coffee and since then, i have never had any hassles with that family.

Sometimes, i pay rent late by a week or so, but they never call or remind or anything.

If have a problem with something, i call them, and someone comes out same or next day and we agree on who pays for what.

I don't use Kbank so cannot say anything with any authority.

But to be honest I find this hard to believe.

I use Bkk Bank, and indeed initially we had to add accounts for transfers to 3th parties manually at a branch.

However, I think it's already 4 or 5 years ago that Bkk bank upgraded this so you could simply add accounts online, any recipient, any bank.

I do know that some banks are somewhat faster to take up new technology then others, but somehow I doubt that Kbank was runningsome 4 years behind their competition!

I also use SCB, and they work in pretty much the same way.

For international transfers, you indeed have to register at branch, but with Bkk bank there are no restrictions. Any foreign bank in any name. If you would be allowed to transfer to that account at the counter, then they can also activate this online.

The reason that you have to go to the branch is purely for the paperwork trail required by the central bank of Thailand.

That is incorrect.

I don't use Kbank so cannot say anything with any authority.

But to be honest I find this hard to believe.

I use Bkk Bank, and indeed initially we had to add accounts for transfers to 3th parties manually at a branch.

However, I think it's already 4 or 5 years ago that Bkk bank upgraded this so you could simply add accounts online, any recipient, any bank.

I do know that some banks are somewhat faster to take up new technology then others, but somehow I doubt that Kbank was runningsome 4 years behind their competition!

I also use SCB, and they work in pretty much the same way.

For international transfers, you indeed have to register at branch, but with Bkk bank there are no restrictions. Any foreign bank in any name. If you would be allowed to transfer to that account at the counter, then they can also activate this online.

The reason that you have to go to the branch is purely for the paperwork trail required by the central bank of Thailand.

I have Kbank and Krungsi and both just started to recently offer the no headache transfers, before as said had to go into branch with tonnes of paper work to add account.

Paying some bills was always good with both banks, but internet transfer of funds is only recent.

With Kbank, as i just had it set up, international transfers via internet banking ONLY to the same name, though over the counter has no restrictions and only passport is required.

I have been transferring funds from overseas into KBank for 3 years on the internet.

No one is discussing transferring from overseas to your account. What is being discussed is transfers from your account to overseas

Ok, I have done that too for 3 years.

But I don't think people are actually saying it is transferring from your account overseas. People are simply talking about transferring from one bank to another. I have been doing it for 3 years.

I am sure you are right reg. small or medium sized family run places, they probably use a mix of deliveries and Macro as you mention. By big restaurants and hotels I meant the kind where the owner(s) are not actually sitting in the lobby running it on a daily basis and where the accounts department is not the same as the cashier. Think Central, Dusit, Hilton, Sheraton, Amari, Fuji, Mk etc. The kind of places where daily food supplies simply do not fit in a shopping cart from Macro, no matter how big it is. These kinds of places also do not suffer from the mentioned "here today gone tomorrow" issues, and have no problem getting the suppliers to accept monthly payment.

Anyway, I think we basically agree!

That is incorrect.

I note other posters are arguing the transfer issues, so I will leave that for you guys to discuss. Apparently it works for some and not for others.

The reason the mentioned family wants 2 smaller cheques that the bank does not have to report to the revenue department, and the reason they want them issued to different individuals instead of a company account, is simply because they are cheating the revenue department. Any shred of professionalism is gone right there. If playing by the rules, you would also have to deduct 5% withholding tax from the rental payment and pay the amount to the revenue department as prepaid income tax on behalf of the family.

That is incorrect.

I note other posters are arguing the transfer issues, so I will leave that for you guys to discuss. Apparently it works for some and not for others.

The reason the mentioned family wants 2 smaller cheques that the bank does not have to report to the revenue department, and the reason they want them issued to different individuals instead of a company account, is simply because they are cheating the revenue department. Any shred of professionalism is gone right there. If playing by the rules, you would also have to deduct 5% withholding tax from the rental payment and pay the amount to the revenue department as prepaid income tax on behalf of the family.

Deposit and key money is not part of withholding tax, however monthly rentals is.

Being professional and paying taxes are not related at all what so ever.

What they do and how they pay taxes is none of my business, the withholding tax is and is paid according to law and is clearly stipulated in the contract..

The reason they wanted 2 cheques was exactly for the reasons stated, because an amount of 1000 000 in one deposit gets reported to revenue department.

Cheques would only need to be made out to a company name if it is the company who owns the building. However most buildings are NOT owned by the company but are in individual names (for tax purposes)

Am I the only one to think there are gaps in this story?

What exactly is the Business of this man? Is it something legal?

What was this money for? Did he ask for a discount in exchange of a cash payment?

I think it will be difficult to say anything more about this story before having these answers.

S.L.

If the guy transferred the money electronically he would still be out the money but would have avoided a beating.

If he had transferred the money electronically he would have proof that the recipient had it. And based on that he could complain to the police that he hadnt got whatever he was expecting to get in return.

That's the whole point of doing it through a bank.

• Like 1

If the guy transferred the money electronically he would still be out the money but would have avoided a beating.

If he had transferred the money electronically he would have proof that the recipient had it. And based on that he could complain to the police that he hadnt got whatever he was expecting to get in return.

You don't think there was proof enough in this case? His beating, his withdrawing money during the meeting, his current lease and his cell phone video? If what he says happened the way it says it happened then these folks really couldn't care about proof. He transfers money and then they say it was for services already provided or something else. Yes, not dealing in cash is safer but in this case it really doesn't appear these folks give a poop about proof or consequences ... and I stress ... if what the guy posted on his Facebook is accurate and I am guessing he got robbed but have a feeling there is more to the story.

BlackPuddingBertha, on 23 Mar 2013 - 01:40, said:

Yes, indeed.

No. Depends of the business. That's the whole point.

Why don't we know his business? We know his name, the name of the other person concerned and her family, but we don't know his business. Why?

I still have my questions:

What was this money exactly for? And did he ask for a discount in exchange of a cash payment?

Edited by vediovis

You don't think there was proof enough in this case? His beating, his withdrawing money during the meeting, his current lease and his cell phone video? If what he says happened the way it says it happened then these folks really couldn't care about proof. He transfers money and then they say it was for services already provided or something else.

Certainly having a video of him being beaten is good evidence to produce to support an assault complaint but it doesnt help with his missing cash. Just because he withdrew something prior to losing it doesnt mean that one particular person took it from him. Nor does having a lease for last year prove that you have paid for the next year.

Hence the advantage of doing transfers via a bank. The recipient cannot argue that they have not received the money, nor can anyone else take it. They could try and argue that the payment was for something else but they would have to explain what and I doubt that a court would give them much credence if they tried to say that it was for last year's rent when another transfer was already made last year for that.

I will continue to pay for things by transfer and good luck to those who prefer to deal with large amounts of cash.

What was this money exactly for? And did he ask for a discount in exchange of a cash payment?

The full story explains quite clearly that it was a cash payment for one year's rent.

In that case the nature of his business is not relevant, I think.

The full story explains quite clearly that it was a cash payment for one year's rent.

I strongly suspect it, but it's still an hypothesis. Cannot be sure at 100%. Furthermore, I would like to know if he asked for a too strong discount in exchange of a cahs payment because it can be a reason the situation slipped.

It is. Strongly. Especially in this part of Pattaya. Especially for a foreigner.

Yes it the story does indicate it was for rent and yes he should have paid by cashless method as it would be firm evidence that he had paid the money and of course the description of the payment on the transfer would have indicated what the money was for so it would be very good evidence in a court of law.

The only thing is that the OPs story is a bit muddled and seems a bit suspicious especially the bit about getting the extra cash. If this was satisfactorily explained then it would then appear as a simple payment for rent but for me there is still a bit of a cloud over the whole deal.

I have never heard so far of anyone paying 1 year rent upfront. not saying its not possible but rather very very very uncommon