Sleeper Train Or Bus Chiang Mai Bangkok

vagabond48

For four or five years, I would always take the train when traveling between Chiangmai and Bangkok. Apart from enjoying it, which I did, I was motivated by a desire, one I always have, to live in a way that causes less damage to the world rather than more. My understanding is that traveling by train is far less environmentally destructive than by airplane. In any case, however, after a particularly nasty experience of having masses of cockroaches -- not big ones, but still -- crawling all over me and my wife, for hours on end, in bed in the second class sleeper, we switched to flying.

• Like 1

For four or five years, I would always take the train when traveling between Chiangmai and Bangkok. Apart from enjoying it, which I did, I was motivated by a desire, one I always have, to live in a way that causes less damage to the world rather than more. My understanding is that traveling by train is far less environmentally destructive than by airplane. In any case, however, after a particularly nasty experience of having masses of cockroaches -- not big ones, but still -- crawling all over me and my wife, for hours on end, in bed in the second class sleeper, we switched to flying.

That happened to me once too. I found some RR staff on the train, they came, sprayed, swept up the carnage and changed the sheets. After a beer in the dining car to let the air clear I returned to a good sleep. Hard to imagine myself laying for hours with masses of cockroaches crawling all over my body.

Sounds good, but I still rather spend the night in Bangkok with good food, lots to do and a comfortable bed than in purgatory for 15 hours on a bus or train.

Not every one has a business to run like you do.

That would be purgatory to me to each his own.

I have not done it yet but have full intention of doing it just for the experience.

It will give me a chance to read books and possibly meet new people with interesting experiences as well as see the country. That might get boring but at least I will be able to say so from first hand experience as we have seen here your idea of purgatory and mine are worlds apart. Yours is over in 15 hours mine would last forever.

That is why I retired a chance to see different things and experience different things.

Being retired gives me time to enjoy things I always did but never took the time to enjoy in my rush to survive and build up a comfortable retirement income.

I almost always have a good sleep on the overnight trains here, but that's because I almost always get a lower berth. Up high you're too near the A/C, the lights are always on right there beside the bed, and you get shaken more on that narrow-gauge railway because you're further from the rails. Reserve early and get a lower bunk. Also I have a beer or two before bed. If you ride in a first-class cabin it's pretty comfortable, but you might want to bring some duct tape to slow the flow through the cold air vent . . . it's really cold!

Some people don't take to the train, but I love it. There are usually people to hang out with and talk to in second class. I prefer talking with the Thai folks, if there are any near - have learned a lot from those conversations, and maybe they have, too. Anyhow I don't understand why anyone would think it's a dismal experience unless they find it's hard to sleep. That could be boring, but then . . . these days we have tablets and ipads and can watch movies or listen to music. If you have 3G you can connect to the net and do all the other things we've learned to fill up our time with. But the trains here are still cool to me, and I've been riding them a long, long time.

Unless one is afraid of flying or going broke, I can not understand why one would not get the journey over a lot quicker by flying.

I agree. I just returned from being away for a couple of weeks. During the time I flew, took a train, a bus, and a mini van. Air Asia was great as always. Arrived 30 minutes ahead of schedule. Almost just sat down and read a few pages and we were in BKK (Don Mueang). The train was absolutely miserable (the most expensive ticket available, A/C, etc.). They kept opening the doors the whole time and hot air came in like a blast furnace and the A/C was useless. People were sweating like pigs. Took the bus (Sombat Tour which was more expensive than the Air Asia tickets), and it was miserable and uncomfortable. It was also freezing, which I anticipated. Now my neck and back are in unbelievable pain. Mini van...what can be said....

FLY! The only way.

• Like 1

Train or bus. Neither. Nokair about 1200 bahts 70 minute flight. Why suffer the 10 hour plus trip on the bus. As for the train. It is never on time so the 12 hour trip usually turns into 16 hours plus.

I just checked nok air's website and the cheapest they have over the next month or so is 1385 plus taxes makes 1,690 Baht (and that's for inconvenient early morning or late night flights) A 2nd clas air con sleeper is about 580 Baht. quite a saving i would have thought.

Really its a matter of personal choice. I generally fly, because I'm going to Bangkok for a purpose and need to be on time (the trains are routinely hours late). Last September however I had to go to Bangkok with Mrs. Millwall_fan and Junior, and to save a considerable sum of money, (Junior goes 1/2 price on the train, full price on the plane), we opted for the train. We enjoyed the experience so much that we made the return journey by the same mode. A few beers and a decent enough Thai meal helped us to sleep and we got to Hualamphong quite refreshed. As uptheos says, the 300kmph 'bullet trains' will change the travel scene to and from Chiang Mai considerably. Hermetically sealed and sanitised, they will ruin the current experience, but will provide a real alternative to flying. A lot depends on the price.

I've taken them all.

I'm not fond of the buses. Dangerous drivers and every year a few go off the road. And not much for comfort, even VIPs.

The sleeper train is OK if I'm not in a hurry. Book the bottom berth: more comfortable and you have a window. Try to get mid-car in order to get away from the wheels. And like Daoyai said, 5 to 10 mg of diazepam and Bob's your uncle.

If I don't feel like a hassle: fly Nokair. Book far enough in advance to get the lowest fair. Twice the price of the train, half the hassle, and more then 10 times as fast.

At Don Muang airport grab a metered taxi or go to the road and wait for the red 29 bus (there is a blue air con bus too, but it's been too long since I lived in Laksi to remember the number - I think it's 52 but don't hold me to that), head to Mo Chit and take either the Sky Train or BTS subway from there. Here's a link to the BMTA bus map, but it's a challenge to read unless your familiar with BKK and the surrounding area.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d8/BMTA_Bangkok_Metropolitan_Region_bus_map_%28Greater_Bangkok%29.png

Happy trails to you!

Edited by connda

Unless one is afraid of flying or going broke, I can not understand why one would not get the journey over a lot quicker by flying.

I agree. I just returned from being away for a couple of weeks. During the time I flew, took a train, a bus, and a mini van. Air Asia was great as always. Arrived 30 minutes ahead of schedule. Almost just sat down and read a few pages and we were in BKK (Don Mueang). The train was absolutely miserable (the most expensive ticket available, A/C, etc.). They kept opening the doors the whole time and hot air came in like a blast furnace and the A/C was useless. People were sweating like pigs. Took the bus (Sombat Tour which was more expensive than the Air Asia tickets), and it was miserable and uncomfortable. It was also freezing, which I anticipated. Now my neck and back are in unbelievable pain. Mini van...what can be said....

FLY! The only way.

How did you arrive a half hour early on a one hour flight.

I just checked yesterday on a one way flight to Bangkok from Chiang Mai.

Nok air was 2,296 baht all in that included 15 kilos of luggage and a snack

Air Asia was 1,950 baht plus 300 baht for 15 kilo of luggage, No snack.

the flight was for my daughter in law who is going on farther south. I forgot to ask Nok if they would be transferring the luggage I know Air Asia wont.

Of course both air lines have sales on different days but if you have no choice on what day you go you pay the going rate.

For myself I still want to experience the train. Perhaps I won't like it but it will be because of my own experience not some one else's. If I don't like it I am still going to use it when the bullet train comes in.

FLY! The only way.

How did you arrive a half hour early on a one hour flight.

I just checked yesterday on a one way flight to Bangkok from Chiang Mai.

Nok air was 2,296 baht all in that included 15 kilos of luggage and a snack

Air Asia was 1,950 baht plus 300 baht for 15 kilo of luggage, No snack.

the flight was for my daughter in law who is going on farther south. I forgot to ask Nok if they would be transferring the luggage I know Air Asia wont.

Of course both air lines have sales on different days but if you have no choice on what day you go you pay the going rate.

For myself I still want to experience the train. Perhaps I won't like it but it will be because of my own experience not some one else's. If I don't like it I am still going to use it when the bullet train comes in.

The flight was actually supposed to be 1 hour 17 minutes. There was absolutely no turbulence, no wind resistance, and no waiting to land at Don Mueang. The plane departed exactly on schedule. Arrived way ahead of schedule.

I paid 690 for the tickets on Air Asia. I never pay extra for luggage, food, or seats.

For myself I still want to experience the train.

I can understand that, but I have experienced the train hundreds of times over the last few decades and rather skip experiencing it again if I can get there faster. The world is changing fast. Maybe someday, one will be able to get beamed from Chiang Mai to Bangkok instantly. I would go a lot more often. that is for sure.

01300000098168128996407257044_s.jpg

• Like 1

For myself I still want to experience the train.

I can understand that, but I have experienced the train hundreds of times over the last few decades and rather skip experiencing it again if I can get there faster. The world is changing fast. Maybe someday, one will be able to get beamed from Chiang Mai to Bangkok instantly. I would go a lot more often. that is for sure.

01300000098168128996407257044_s.jpg

I thought you would enjoy the oportunity to curl up with a good book or two. Maybe if books are too heavy you could try a Kindle. smile.png

Trains are great places to catch up on reading.

Edited by harrry

Could someone please talk about luggage security on this train? I'm going to have a few bags, and I don't want to lug them to the bar car or sleep with one eye open. Thanks.

There is only a tiny little rack overhead to store your luggage.

depends on the train, the newer one (#14 @7:30pm) has a large shelf in the compartment overhead, the older ones have the racks, you can use a chain and lock to secure your bags if needed. Pack accordingly, valuables in a small bag that stays close to you.

I always secure our bags to the luggage storage rack in 2nd class with a strap and pack a small bag with really valuable stuff that is kept close in the sleeping compartment. I know the strap would simply slow down a would-be thieft, but nothing very valuable is kept in those bags.

When we moved to CM from the U.S., we had much more luggage you would for a normal brief vacation. So, we got a first-class sleeper compartment, mostly for luggage security. It sleeps two people and by the time we got the luggage into the compartment, there was no floor space for our legs when sitting.

Never had any problems with theft, but we don't tempt fate, either.