Tobacco Report

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And from reports from friends in Phetchabun last week the price is extremely good this year.

@Stoneyboy Thanks for giving a shout from the west. Most unfortunate our paths x-ed in opposite directions last week.

A whopping B75/ kilo is the going rate!

• Like 1

Great thread, and a Farming practise I know little about.

Great presentation also ... thumbsup.gif

I hope you're going to be working harder next time David.

If MissFarmGirl sees this you'll be in bother! biggrin.png

... cheesy.gif

Actually, when I was at the Farm, her old man and MissFarmGirl and I were chatting about some Farm work and Farm Father said ... no need to bother, Falang just eat and sleep ... he holiday.

I was caught between w00t.gif and ermm.gif and accepted cool.png

Sorry Dancealot ... we digress ... wai.gif

• Like 1

Nice thread Danealot, great pics! So to obtain the tobacco seeds, what's the cost? Also forgive me if I'm wrong but tobacco grows it's own seeds from it's flowers right? Also how much water is involved in this 2 rai setup do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The best way to handle the tobacco is in the morning's when its moisturise. In the afternoons it will break!

post-70928-0-10676500-1367208147_thumb.j post-70928-0-04938200-1367208155_thumb.j

After the drying is finished the tabacco is stored like so to keep the moisture in.

post-70928-0-89260400-1367208263_thumb.jpost-70928-0-81276400-1367208270_thumb.jpost-70928-0-36114800-1367208277_thumb.j

Not surprisingly the largest whole buyer on the tabacco is, yes the government.

post-70928-0-10049700-1367208506_thumb.j post-70928-0-75307100-1367208512_thumb.j

Like this it's sold for B80/kg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The best way to handle the tobacco is in the morning's when its moisturise. In the afternoons it will break!

attachicon.gifIMG_3361 (1000 x 750).jpg attachicon.gifIMG_3362 (1000 x 750).jpg

After the drying is finished the tabacco is stored like so to keep the moisture in.

attachicon.gifIMG_3348 (1000 x 750).jpgattachicon.gifIMG_3349 (1000 x 750).jpgattachicon.gifIMG_3352 (1000 x 750).jpg

Not surprisingly the largest whole buyer on the tabacco is, yes the government.

attachicon.gifIMG_3339 (1000 x 750).jpg attachicon.gifIMG_3340 (1000 x 750).jpg

Like this it's sold for B80/kg

Dude, that is a beautiful sight!!!

Ok so when and where can i buy whole leaf tobacco? can any one help? I'm really serious about this smile.png

There are many tobacco farms in the North-East of Thailand. How much do you intend to buy? ...smile.png

Not much, maybe 10kg or so. I want to experiment rolling my own cigs. :) Thias roll their own cigarettes, I figure I can roll my own Cig. The problem is getting some good whole leaf tobacco that i can use as longleaf filler, binder and wrapper. Finding good tobacco for wrapper will be the key.

So you want to use the leaf a a wrap? Thai cigars, hmmm.

Thailand20124209.jpg

The tobacco itself can be bought at the wholesaler at ridiculously silly cheap prices.

The leaves you will have to get from the farmers, so this means you will have to go into the villages.

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

I dont think Thai leaves can be used as the wrapper. I have to admit i'm out of my comfort zone as an expert on the construction of Cigs. I mostly deal at the other end of the Cig life cycle, namely the smoking end!w00t.gif

But as i've stated, the components of cigs are:The Filler, the binder, and the wrapper. Each is self explanatory. The binder is what you use to initially wrap the filler in,and compress to get its shape. The wrapper is the outside leaf which has to be blemish free and pristine.

Thats where the problem lies. From the looks on your pic's, the Thai leaf has way too many, and too large veins to use as wrapper. I think i can harvest in between the veins to get strips long enough to use as binder. and the binder strips i can small roll into the filler. So the hole is getting sufficient quality wrapper.

Theres a variaty of cig wrapper called "Connecticut Shade" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut_shade_tobacco where the tobacco leaves are grown under a screen that screens off 60% (I think) of the sunlight. This reduces the sunload on the leaves, and in addition to the benefits listed in the above link, it also reduces incidence of blemishes, and with the reduced sunload, and increased humidity, reduces the size and quantity of the veins per leaf (pure speculation on my part). All the combinations listed above makes the Connecticut Shade a great wrapper. But i see no reason why the shading shouldn't work in Thailand, unless selective breeding has changed the genetic makeup of the tobacco.

Now all this is speculation on my part. And a shade experiment would be interesting to run, IF I had a farm. I dont think a non Cig smoking farmer would be interested lol. I do have some friends with family in Issan growing tobacco. Maybe i could talk one of them into trying it.

In the short run, I could try rolling some Cigs from a combination of bulk(your pics of the wholesale tobacco) and long leaf filler, binder, and selected binder as the wrapper. Just to see how it tastes. If the taste is off, nothing will help it. As my mentor once told me,

"you can put lipstick on a pig,

but its still going to look like a pig blink.png"

But to do any of this, i'll need to find a source of dried but still nimble (and preferably aged) whole leaf tobacco.

Ok i'm pulling the plug on this post. Its gotten WAY too long. Do you know of some farmers that i could get some whole leaves from at the next harvest? or are there any drying now that i could get some access to?

So you want to use the leaf a a wrap? Thai cigars, hmmm.

Thailand20124209.jpg

The tobacco itself can be bought at the wholesaler at ridiculously silly cheap prices.

The leaves you will have to get from the farmers, so this means you will have to go into the villages.

The term "bellyflop" comes to mind.

Thats what i want to do into that pile! w00t.gif

Just make sure someone follows me in with a lighter and an ashtray!whistling.gif

PS where can i find wholesale tobacco like that shown above?

• Like 1