How To Stop Mould?

I currently live in Bangkok, and will be travelling to Australia for one year. I will rent an apartment room and put all my belonging in there, can anyone tell me how to stop everything going mouldy?

I will have clothes books towels etc.

hope you can help. Jack

Bleach is very helpful. Clean out affected areas with diluted bleach (how much diluted would need to depend on type of surface involved) and let dry thoroughly.

Arrange to have a low watt light on continuously in the apartment. Keep curtains open (and try to choose an apt that gets sunlight).

And if you can, leave a/c on at the dehumidification setting. Maybe use timer setting so that it is on for say 12 hours out of 24.

I work for a shipping company so here some pro- advice.

To scare you a little i can let you think about how a fully laden closed washing machine, containing wet/damp clothes, would look and smell like after 1 year in a hot room?...

Use your imagination..

When shipping household goods(everything from books to furniture) to HOT countries in particular one has to take into account the unavoidable moulding/mildew process.

1 Do not store anything that contains fluids who could be exposed

2 Everything is wrapped in carton. For instance books in boxes wich have to be taped air tight.

3 Before wrapping make sure everything is dry.

You can only slow down the process by doing this but cannot stop it.

and don't forget to take leftover food with you! lol -

PS - I left a condo in Bangkok, fully furnished and with everything turned off for over one year - only one window half open and everything spring cleaned before we left - we returned to no mould and very little dust!

Edited by BrianCR

Why rent an apartment? Are there any climate controlled storage facilities in Thailand? I ask out of ignorance; the answer may well be no. It seems like an apartment is an expensive solution and that mold is likely unavoidable.

Why rent an apartment? Are there any climate controlled storage facilities in Thailand? I ask out of ignorance; the answer may well be no. It seems like an apartment is an expensive solution and that mold is likely unavoidable.

Apartment? Who lives in an apartment, no one, except someone who really doesn't understand Thailand!!

Why rent an apartment? Are there any climate controlled storage facilities in Thailand? I ask out of ignorance; the answer may well be no. It seems like an apartment is an expensive solution and that mold is likely unavoidable.Apartment? Who lives in an apartment, no one, except someone who really doesn't understand Thailand!!

Huh... I don't understand this one?

• Like 1

Go back to the OP. He says he will rent an apartment and put his stuff in there for one year. I am simply suggesting an alternative to storing your things in an apartment.

Edited by USNret

Go back to the OP. He says he will rent an apartment and put his stuff in there for one year. I am simply suggesting an alternative to storing your things in an apartment.

My comment was aimed at BrianCR

You can buy bags of dessicants in Bangkok. They sell them in an air tight tin. Drop these into plastic cartons, along with your clothes and other things you don't want to grow moldly, and seal up the carton. The dessicants can be reused by drying in an oven. They suck up a lot of moisture, and are cheap. I ordered some from the internet one time (from a BKK supplier), and had them sent down to Chumpon. Total cost was very reasonable, including postage.

You can buy bags of dessicants in Bangkok. They sell them in an air tight tin. Drop these into plastic cartons, along with your clothes and other things you don't want to grow moldly, and seal up the carton. The dessicants can be reused by drying in an oven. They suck up a lot of moisture, and are cheap. I ordered some from the internet one time (from a BKK supplier), and had them sent down to Chumpon. Total cost was very reasonable, including postage.

I've bought these from the local store, but they are not reusable. Do you have a source for this? Would appreciate the link!

My friends left their apartment near the sea for 6 months. Upon return everything was moldy.

Even in our bedroom, with the AC on every night, clothes that don't get worn often get mold. Shoes also.

For clothes, linens etc, you can buy large, strong resealable plastic "bags" from which you suck out the air (vacuum cleaner nozzle) so they are stored in a vacuum...........no mould or dampness.

Have seen them in Robinsons.

• 2 months later...

Please, please can someone, anyone provide a link/number, just someone I can contact to order some silica gel packs/desicant that is reusable. I live in Chalong and have tried everywhere and spent many hours asking people, searching the net and I can't find anyone to give me a straight answer and just supply the goods!! I mean how hard can it be?

Please can anyone help?

Please, please can someone, anyone provide a link/number, just someone I can contact to order some silica gel packs/desicant that is reusable. I live in Chalong and have tried everywhere and spent many hours asking people, searching the net and I can't find anyone to give me a straight answer and just supply the goods!! I mean how hard can it be?

Please can anyone help?

http://www.eguide.co.th/TH/COMPANY/21817/Power-Dry-Co-Lt/detail_all.htm?Silica+Gel

I think they have a minimum size per order, but they sell most all types.

put some Moth Balls in the bags /boxes/room being stored and clean room with pine sol ....will help.

hire a maid to come in and open the windows air the place out and clean the apartment move the stuff around...so mold will not take over..

I live in what is really a one room house.

If I left it everything would be ruined.

I live in the trees and have flyscreen rather than window so plenty of ventilation, albeit very humid ventialtion.

I leave a fan on low day and night most of the rainy season, and it seems to stop the mould.

What about a dehumidifier(quality)on a timer(quality) running to a floor drain ?

I agree with this idea. I have tried several of the other approaches mentioned in this thread. The only one that worked, and worked very well indeed, was to install a good dehumidifier. Don't get a chinese cheapie as some have been known to start fires. I researched and got a good brand/model (Lubra LDH 520) and put it on a timer to run (max) several hours a day. It only switches on though if it detects that humidity has risen beyond a set point. I thoroughly sealed the room, for e.g. using masking tape around door way. Highly recommended.