Pay To Work

mr6kings

Need the opinions of residents living in LOS as to the extent of this behavior. A nephew of ours who graduated from college and was recently dischrged from the Thai Army has been accepted for Police training. As my Wife understands it with his education and Military experience He will enter training to be something higher ranking than just a Patrol officer. The training is at no cost to him but he'll need to come up with 255000 Bt before he can go to work. A little background on my Wife and me. We've been married 39 years and have willingly helped the Family on numerous occasions.either with buying rice fields education or fixing the House so it's not the Mamasan and Papasan need a new Water Buffalo scenario.

It isn't paying to work. It is paying for position. Now you know how the police works.

How does the average Thai ever get a job? My Wife has two Sisters who also have lived in the US over 40 years. About 15 years ago their Father divided up the rice field acerage and was going to put equal parts into all of the childrens names. The 3 sisters here told him just didvide it all up between the 4 still in Thailand Unfortunately over time the two brothers have sold most of it off. Had we held on to it they would still have a revenue source

It isn't paying to work. It is paying for position. Now you know how the police works.

How does the average Thai ever get a job? My Wife has two Sisters who also have lived in the US over 40 years. About 15 years ago their Father divided up the rice field acerage and was going to put equal parts into all of the childrens names. The 3 sisters here told him just didvide it all up between the 4 still in Thailand Unfortunately over time the two brothers have sold most of it off. Had we held on to it they would still have a revenue source

The rest of the economy works in pretty much the same way you and I know it. The police force, and certain other select sectors of the civil service sometimes require upfront payments, which you then recoup via bribes.

They start at the bottom and stay there.

• Like 2

The brothers who sold the land - is it one of their sons that now needs money to get a job? That figures. As samran said, the money is for a specific position; your nephew can still get a lower-ranking job without money. Try not to let your wife's family mislead you.

Edited by aussiebebe

Seems cheap to me. Weren't the teaching assistants paying 300k just for a copy of the entry exam answers?

I heard about the cheating but not the amount. 300k to get a 8k a month job, really?

Teaching asst's will find it alot easier to go on to become real teachers. With that comes the benefit of much higher salary, govt pension, family healthcare, job for life and seemingly endless soft loans so for many the initial outlay is well worth it.

The 300,000 was for non-commissioned police recruits and other civil servants to cheat on their entrance exams. And have to disagree a little with the paying more for a tourist spot. I live in one of the least visited tourists spots in all of Thailand and there is a waiting list to get into several of the district police postings.

They can stop 5 thais for every one tourist just in dealing with the language barrier (up here any way). I only ever get pulled over at one particular check stop and have done so every day for nearly 4 years...they even know me by my first name.

However all the others they just wave you through. i am all legal so no fines (yet) but as my wife says they are just waiting for the day I forget my DL....gulp!

Edited by rct99q

As he makes progress up the promotion ladder he just sells his post to the next fresh batch of recruits.

The only Ponzi scheme which works...

Is the teaching profession the same?

I'm sure not every teaching position ... but isn't it (pay for position) the occurrence rather then the exemption?

Edited by David48

And have to disagree a little with the paying more for a tourist spot. I live in one of the least visited tourists spots in all of Thailand and there is a waiting list to get into several of the district police postings.

They can stop 5 thais for every one tourist just in dealing with the language barrier (up here any way). I only ever get pulled over at one particular check stop and have done so every day for nearly 4 years...they even know me by my first name.

-

Phuket, Khao San Road and Pattaya have all kinds of scams running that pull in millions of baht from just a few victims per week, getting "protection" commissions from the thousands of outside mafia networks, totally different class of opportunities in those places.

The traffic stop stuff is chicken feed, not even worth consideration from the real gangsters. . .

The rest of the economy works in pretty much the same way you and I know it. The police force, and certain other select sectors of the civil service sometimes require upfront payments, which you then recoup via bribes.

And it's not only jobs within the broad government sectors.

I'm aware of a family in a large upcounry Thai city who paid 100,000Baht to get a job for their daughter in a major Thai high profile bank.

The family say it's well known locally that all the staff in that branch bought their jobs for a substantial fee.

The daughter says she believes (from discussions with other staff) that the 'fee' all stays in the pocket of the local manager.

And it's not only jobs within the broad government sectors.

I'm aware of a family in a large upcounry Thai city who paid 100,000Baht to get a job for their daughter in a major Thai high profile bank.

The family say it's well known locally that all the staff in that branch bought their jobs for a substantial fee.

The daughter says she believes (from discussions with other staff) that the 'fee' all stays in the pocket of the local manager.

-

Well that's only fair, think of how much he had to pay for his job!

Cheap, considereing all the income blackmail, extortion, vice and drugs brings in. The Public Sector is the sector with the greatest future as they steal with impunity from their lesser countrymen, plus all the extra benfits. It is a poster endorsement of the parasite Nanny State that sucks the blood from all us.

What a culture, country and society....

And to think, we only know a fraction of the reality! w00t.gif

-

What hypocrisy - the corruption at the heart of our own societies back home is IMO much more insidious, at least here average people can benefit from it sometimes.

Plus the consequences of the Thai version aren't wholesale slaughter and destruction of entire societies on the other side of the world.

-

What hypocrisy - the corruption at the heart of our own societies back home is IMO much more insidious, at least here average people can benefit from it sometimes.

Oh yes, the people benefit from police officers buying their entrance exam results...

Teachers buying their entrance exam results...

Teachers refusing to teach what they should unless the students pay for their extra evening/weekend classes etc.

etc.

etc.

etc.

All highly beneficial to the people. :rolleyes:

-

Oh yes, the people benefit from police officers buying their entrance exam results...

Teachers buying their entrance exam results...

Teachers refusing to teach what they should unless the students pay for their extra evening/weekend classes etc.

etc.

etc.

etc.

All highly beneficial to the people. rolleyes.gif

-

I was making a "glass houses" point, and the fact that our own countries have perhaps more hidden but no less endemic corruption at the foundation of our political-economic systems, which in some cases have much more damaging results than just holding back the development of the country.

100% agree that corruption hurts "the people" as a whole, I was talking about self-interest of individuals - you have to be very rich indeed to take advantage of the kinds of corruption we have back home, while here it enables even very poor people to make a living that wouldn't be available if the "laws" were strictly enforced.