Track Boots And Gloves

loserlazer

Guys, you know the deal. While in a track, we need to protect our fragile pats of our beloved bodies.

So, after a suit, teh next important gear are boots and gloves.

Which brand you recommend? Or which one you are using? Why?

Please contribute and thanks in advance.

I ride way more street than track (I haven't been on a track in a few years) but I have some boots that are at home there.

I have pairs of what are generally regarded as some of the best boots currently available- the Alpinestars Supertech R ($449) and the Sidi Vortice Air ($495). The features of either are easily Googled, but as far as wearing them goes, the A* are the more comfortable, but the Sidis (with their tabs and fasteners and tensioner system) are just so trick looking (A* uses an inner-booty system and has a clean outer look, and the Sidis have all the protection on the outside)- until you actually get used to them, it's like figuring out a Rubik's Cube trying to get them on, though.

As far as protection goes, they seem equivalent (I haven't crashed in either, but here are a load of reviews and opinions on the net)- they both are built to reduce torsion to the ankle, and also are made to diffuse force and save your knees (which can be injured if your feet hit the deck really hard- it's actually very common). I should probably look for a more comfortable pair, but I'd definitely be giving up some safety.

Neither is a fantastic street choice and both are very track-oriented, but as far as protection goes you can't do better- Dainese makes some decent boots, and TCX has improved the last few years- both A* (SMX Plus are good and can currently be found at close-out prices) and Sidi (the Vertigo boot offers a lot for $300) also make other models worth considering.

I've seen the Vortices advertised online at the Paddock for a ridiculously low price (lower than anywhere else in the world), but something has to be wrong there- if they're the real thing, I'd buy another pair at that price.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

I've got these ones that I only wore a couple of times. What size are you? I'm looking to sell them.

Have you got any gloves for sale as well Brian to replace his gym gloves!!! giggle.gif

Dainese gear for me but always Sidi boots. Would recommend Frank Thomas gear too, not as showy but well made....

Puma are actually making some lovely boots for Ducati, however the new '13 TCX is awesome but the price tag of 300 quid puts me off but what a cracking looking boot!!

post-79999-0-98992600-1363949909_thumb.j

Edited by Rickster
  • Like 1

I've got these ones that I only wore a couple of times. What size are you? I'm looking to sell them.

Have you got any gloves for sale as well Brian to replace his gym gloves!!! giggle.gif

Dainese gear for me but always Sidi boots. Would recommend Frank Thomas gear too, not as showy but well made....

Puma are actually making some lovely boots for Ducati, however the new '13 TCX is awesome but the price tag of 300 quid puts me off but what a cracking looking boot!!

Sorry, no gloves, just the Judge Dredd boots.

I use Sidi Fusion Air on the street. Definitely not serious track capable as the ankle support falls well short of what it should be. However they're easy on and off due to the zipper and velcro. Also really breathable which is a huge help in Thailand. Awful narrow however.

Gloves are Shift Fury (leather palm, vented back and carbon fiber knuckles) which are starting to fail the funk test.

• Like 1

There are a load of really good gloves available- for the track you'll definitely want full-gauntlets.

I've been wearing the Spidi Race Vent gloves- they flow air better than any other full-gauntlets I've ever seen, but they could have better scaphoid protection.

I recently ordered a pair of Knox Handroid gloves (I won't have them until the end of April when a friend will bring them from the States)- on the coolness scale they rate an '11'- they're supposed to be extremely protective and are made differently from any other gloves- I was going to pre-order the new Dainese Pro Metal RS gloves, but I got sidetracked by the 'bling factor'- at $250 there are many other great choices, but I couldn't resist them.

post-176811-0-26954400-1363952489_thumb.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1